Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of this forum for lets say a month now and what I noticed is that there are many different opinions of what the bike should or should not do. What the bike should or should not have. But my question is if we are missing the point, are we going a bridge too far on some subjects?

Therefore I would like to get your opinion of what you think the philosophy behind the Scrambler is. What did Ducati think of with designing this bike, what do you believe the bike is made for and what does the bike needs to be capable of in your opinion?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, funny :) I big lines yes I do agree!

But with that idea of driving it everyday and certainly everywhere what do u expect it to do or how to handle? Its not a touring bike, neither a enduro or off-road bike and not a race bike. What kind of bike are you (we) driving and are you or do you have the impression to be taking compromises because of it. o_O;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I believe its catching up on a market missed and pretty much dominated by Triumph. Its relaunching past heritage and re-inventing itself for the good and I fear it lost the market in Monster during design where people wanted more from them.
Its heart is a Monster and that can only be good and that's why I love it. Its serves a purpose of simplicity and fun and totally customisable to off road style, flatrack and café racer with minimal changes. If Ducati don't make a Factory Café Racer out of it I reckon they are asleep.
Lets look back around 15 years ago when they made the MH1000 radical design and very very cool ( I still adore them ) and then launching the Classic range. It was ahead of its time at the time and maybe that's what started this bout of classic custom scene today. Were they to relaunch the classic range would they sell. Maybe not but could the Scrambler chassis be the future.
Now if so surely another brand is needed as Scrambler doesn't suit Café racer style in reality pretty much some of the GIANT Mini's which does wind up even a New Mini owner like myself. A name should really represent the style or size.

I think they have got it right. The worrying bit is when they launch a better version in a year or two and I want either the bigger aircooled engine or something more radical. I hope they don't try too much like car designers and being Audi owned could change styling often as, I feel it just cheapens the brand .

To me its my Horse I can ride everywhere everyday in every weather. Not just a sunny day bike. Rain is a pleasure and snow could actually be fun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
360* bike. Not specialized at all but good enough for everything
So Hedonism you are saying its a 50/50 bike. Good enough for everything but on the same hand good fooor... noting? o_O:rolleyes:

That a big compromise, no? o_O

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I believe it's 360 bike too and it neither fails or excels in anything other that doing all very competently.. but succeeds on giving versatility and fun in bucket loads.
Understood :);)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Despite the whole advertising campaign being rather cringeworthy, I think Ducati's aim of marketing this bike as 'Fun' has been achieved, because it is FUN. I absolutely love it and it's more adaptable than many more expensive bikes. Most importantly for me I couldn't find a bike with better ergonomics, looks, size, weight, handling, it's a v-twin (I love v-twins), it's given me confidence to go on rough surfaces, and I don't feel I'm about to drop it every time I go out. Every dry day I'm wanting to ride it - I went out today and rather than go back home I put another 60 miles on it as I was enjoying it so much :toothy9:. Even when it poured down on me on one ride I was still smiling :D.

Of course it's not 'perfect' (is any bike?) but it's pretty damn near as far as I'm concerned. It does most things I want of a bike, yes there are things I'd like improved but I suppose if Ducati had catered for every discerning rider then we'd be looking at paying a darn sight more. It's not pretending to be a touring bike, or a sports bike, or a trials bike, or a cruiser - surely if you wanted one of those you would get one - but the Scrambler is a great 'All Rounder'. I can't think of a bike I'd rather have :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
All I can add is that I know it has been one of the funnest bikes I have owned in the last 40 years. I have ridden this more then pretty much any other one I have owned and even find myself finding excuses to go out on "another" errand or ride just because I can.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It was made to fulfill my need for a new and younger Mistress ! :biggrin-new:

Reactions: MikeD

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's a bike that ducati made to target a corner of the market they didnt currently target.

Very few riders use any make and model of bike to the potential that the bike/s are capable of.

With this in mind, a manufacturer then goes for a demographic, style etc.

Fortunately for ducati (and me) they've designed a fun everyday bike.

There's no real need to question what it's for etc. The real question is - do YOU enjoy riding it?

The answer to the above question then tells you what the bike is for ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I 'm in accord with the overwhelming sentiment here - it's the best bike I have owned, (23 and counting over nearly 40 years), for what I want from a bike. And that is a hugely enjoyable recreational vehicle - I don't plan to cross continents on it or ride it up a mountain, but if you want something to sling your leg over and go for a blast on a nice day, it's bloody brilliant.
Jonny

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can honestly say it makes me smile every time I look at it and ride it. It's in my opinion great value for money, rides like a dream, turns heads everywhere I go and I can't wait to get out and ride it time and time again. I think that's what a bike should deliver and my classic does it in spades . :blob6:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't get all of the lifestyle stuff. I was drawn to it because it's finally just a motorcycle with zero of the body works and gizmos that the rest have. Just a motorcycle, albeit a very good motorcycle...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts