Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I know you've posted elsewhere but I'd mention which model you have now there are a few very different variants kicking around :)

I have an 800 Icon. I do love it. Cons: One con for me is the clutch, I'm nearly out of adjustment on the cable after a miserly 8000km. That said I am often, very often in heavy traffic, though not sure it should make that much difference.

They should maybe use a few more stainless steel bolts and washers here and there as I have the odd rusty one that pees me off at Ducati prices.

Their own range of OEM customisable parts are soooooo stupidly priced it's untrue.

If you ride in the wet the rear mudguard is pretty useless - not much of an issue for me.

Tyres are great but I need a new set at 8000km and I think I've done well compared to others.

Some folk don't get on with the standard seat but I've not had a major issue with it.

The throttle was a little snappy for me initially (mines a 2015) but I'm more than used to it now.

Suspension is pretty low rent but is it worth 1000's to replace. I dunno. I replaced my rear shock in a fit of pique and it is better… but not $1000's better :)

I'm doing more kms per year the longer I have it but as you can see I've hardly gone bonkers in the past 3 years. It is my primary form of transport but I work from home so it's a shopper that I have a bit of fun on once a month or so when time allows :).

From a Pros POV generally summed up as – I had mostly sports bikes in the UK but lost my passion for them as I got older (and slower!) After a several year hiatus I needed some wheels and the Ducati loyalty gene resurfaced. Saw the Scrambler, instantly liked the looks and simplicity of the bike. Took it for a test ride and the rest is history. Suits me down to the ground. It's easy to ride around the city. Fun on the longer blasts. I'm happy enough with it performance and handling-wise (I'm no Rossi wannabee though). It's the first bike I've had in ages that I will just jump on to do a 10 minute trip up the road.

I'm sure there's more - that was a quick splurge to avoid starting any work ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you've posted elsewhere but I'd mention which model you have now there are a few very different variants kicking around :)

I have an 800 Icon. I do love it. Cons: One con for me is the clutch, I'm nearly out of adjustment on the cable after a miserly 8000km. That said I am often, very often in heavy traffic, though not sure it should make that much difference.

They should maybe use a few more stainless steel bolts and washers here and there as I have the odd rusty one that pees me off at Ducati prices.

Their own range of OEM customisable parts are soooooo stupidly priced it's untrue.

If you ride in the wet the rear mudguard is pretty useless - not much of an issue for me.

Tyres are great but I need a new set at 8000km and I think I've done well compared to others.

Some folk don't get on with the standard seat but I've not had a major issue with it.

The throttle was a little snappy for me initially (mines a 2015) but I'm more than used to it now.

Suspension is pretty low rent but is it worth 1000's to replace. I dunno. I replaced my rear shock in a fit of pique and it is better… but not $1000's better :)

I'm doing more kms per year the longer I have it but as you can see I've hardly gone bonkers in the past 3 years. It is my primary form of transport but I work from home so it's a shopper that I have a bit of fun on once a month or so when time allows :).

From a Pros POV generally summed up as – I had mostly sports bikes in the UK but lost my passion for them as I got older (and slower!) After a several year hiatus I needed some wheels and the Ducati loyalty gene resurfaced. Saw the Scrambler, instantly liked the looks and simplicity of the bike. Took it for a test ride and the rest is history. Suits me down to the ground. It's easy to ride around the city. Fun on the longer blasts. I'm happy enough with it performance and handling-wise (I'm no Rossi wannabee though). It's the first bike I've had in ages that I will just jump on to do a 10 minute trip up the road.

I'm sure there's more - that was a quick splurge to avoid starting any work ;)

Ok thank you
I’m getting the Cafe Racer.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm going to add another Con I'm afraid… Not sure how wide-spread this issue is but my tank drain tube is blocked for the second time this year. I believe if too much water gets drawn through the pump (which can happen if this blockage persists) it goes F'd and you're into a lot of cash ;(

…but other than that ;)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You'll have water and or fuel slopping around in the top of the tank around the aperture where you stick the fuel nozzel. If it's dry you should be able to see a small hole on the lowest side of the tank with the bike in its side-stand - that's what's getting blocked continuously with me.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You'll have water and or fuel slopping around in the top of the tank around the aperture where you stick the fuel nozzel. If it's dry you should be able to see a small hole on the lowest side of the tank with the bike in its side-stand - that's what's getting blocked continuously with me.
How do you unblock it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to add another Con I'm afraid… Not sure how wide-spread this issue is but my tank drain tube is blocked for the second time this year. I believe if too much water gets drawn through the pump (which can happen if this blockage persists) it goes F'd and you're into a lot of cash ;(

…but other than that ;)
Thank you, I really appreciate everything you’ve said!

·
Registered
211 Posts
All of of this is relative of course......

Pros:
Easy to ride
Easy to personalize
Looks cool (currently in-vogue)

Cons:
Pricey to service/mod
Not the best for touring

·
Registered
896 Posts
Pros
The smiles per miles factor is very high, amongst the highest of any bike on the market IMO.

Cons
Difficult to stay within speed limits on slow speed (suburban type) roads. I can see myself getting s photograph and a fine in the mail at some stage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pros
The smiles per miles factor is very high, amongst the highest of any bike on the market IMO.

Cons
Difficult to stay within speed limits on slow speed (suburban type) roads. I can see myself getting s photograph and a fine in the mail at some stage.
Aren't aussie speed cameras fun, especially the red light safety cams..
It took me a while to decide on this bike. But the bike as K1W1 suggests certainly rides better than you would think it should and although I ride every day still looking for more excuses to go for a burn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts