Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting those Ohlins cartridges installed.. had not been an unqualified success. I frmed the job out to a local shop with a good reputation because I didn't want to risk messing up when I drilled out that infamous setscrew and wrecking the fork. But they had trouble with the job as well, and now the fork has been wrecked by highly skilled professionals.

Darn it.

I wish Ducati offered an 'R' version of these bikes. I'd gladly have paid extra at the dealer for a decent suspension I could ride over expansion joints without getting the fillings knocked out of my teeth. Oh well. I'm looking forward the day (week? month? year?) I finally get this all sorted out...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an unfortunate fact of life that sometimes things go south. When that happens, it doesn't really help to get angry, even if it seems like someone else screwed up. I think the solution is to stop, take deep breath, deal with the problem... then think it over and ask yourself, "Now that it's fixed, can I prevent this vehicle from becoming cursed -- a thing of regret rather than a thing of joy?"

The jury's still out here. My current plan is take the blow (ouch!), get the bike back, ride it around for a few months, and see how it goes. With luck, this mishap will become a thing of the past, forgotten after some nice 300-mile days in the Coast Range. I may know more Monday...

·
Registered
9 Posts
First I’ve heard of these cartridges - are they specifically intended for the Sled forks? I would be keen to hear how well they are performing. I have to say the only things that irks me just a bit about my Sled is the suspension- particularly the forks.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Before you change anything drastic on your Sled’s suspension, wait till your tires are worn, and replace them with different ones.

I always blamed the suspension being harsh, until I installed different tires (Bridgestone ax41s). Transformed my bike...

The STR’s are stiff imho, too stiff for a bike like the Sled.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop got everything sorted out, the Ohlins NIX-30s are finally installed, and they are worth... every... penny. They've turned this bike from, "Grit your teeth, bear it, and console yourself with the fact that it does look sexy," to "Wow, this is the bike I was planning to buy!"

Life is good... :)
IMG_1386s50x20r25.jpg IMG_1389s50x20r25.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW: The shop did good in the end. The test of a man is how well he handles it when things go south. They passed that one with flying colors! Thanks, guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts