Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a thermal wrap of the Scrambler pipe? Would appreciate if you could share your experience. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Okay, this is sure to start a huge "flame war", but...

The only good reason to use exhaust wrap on your header pipes is to ruin them (and your header gaskets) in short order.

Under even normal use, exhaust wrap significantly raises header surface temperatures, your headers will oxidize, weakening them beyond repair, over time.

If you do not mind replacing your headers and header gaskets regularly, and you like that ugly look of a wrapped header, go ahead and use the heat wrap, but ceramic coating is a much better alternative.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony, thanks. I was looking at thermal wrap to keep the heat away from my leg. Ceramic coating better?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Tony, thanks. I was looking at thermal wrap to keep the heat away from my leg. Ceramic coating better?
Much...

And it won't damage your header pipes - in fact it will prolong their useful lifespan. But it's won't insulate your leg as well as the wrap.

The better solution is better pants!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The only good reason to use exhaust wrap on your header pipes is to ruin them (and your header gaskets) in short order.
Yes, I agree with Tony - it's much better.

However: The exhaust isn't the main heat source at all in my experience. I mean, my left leg feels just as much heat as my right. It's just a warm bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A good thread about this on "the other" Scrambler forum:

Exhaust wrap - Ducati Scrambler Forum

No doubt ceramic coating in+out is a better option, but also more costly + requires some wrenching which not everyone is into. Wrapping the pipes may cause "premature wear"...but then again, I've had the wrap on an older bike for nearly a decade and the pipes are still fine. From an aesthetics POV, I think it looks neat.

There's also the heat reflective tape under the seat + under the left side exhaust guard which many have found helpful in reducing temps for the rider.

Again, to each their own but lots of options to cool things down a bit.

Reactions: nuttynick

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've had wrap on my Cafe racer exhaust for three years now, no oxidisation issues at all. I personally like the look of it, and it keeps the radiated heat from the pipes to a minimum. I know it's just for looks, as mine is bunged on rather than thoughts about thermo scavenging etc. If you do apply some, soak it in warm water first, use decent stainless ties, and WEAR GLOVES!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wrapped the exhaust just because I wanted the look.
The biggest source of heat I suppose is the catalytic converter.
Removing it will probably reduce the heat
significantly. Will see when I get that new slip-on next week.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I wrapped the exhaust just because I wanted the look.
The biggest source of heat I suppose is the catalytic converter.
Removing it will probably reduce the heat
significantly. Will see when I get that new slip-on next week.
Removing the CAT (without remapping) will actually RAISE exhaust (and head) temps - due to leaning the bike out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Removing the CAT (without remapping) will actually RAISE exhaust (and head) temps - due to leaning the bike out.
Oh, that's right. But at least I get rid of the heat from the cat when standing at a red light. That's really the big issue I think. Feet gets really hot!

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I've used heat wrap on bikes and cars for over 20 years.
No problems here when used on stainless steel. Engine does not run any hotter.
I usually coat the wrap with a good heat proof spray to seal them, keep them looking good and to repel liquids and dirt. ThermoTec makes a silicone based spray for this purpose. I would not use a wrap with out the spray.

My 996R has had the pipes wrapped since 2001 to protect the belly pan. My 999R since 2005. My 1199S has had it pipes wrapped since 2012.
My Porsche 996TT has the turbos wrapped with a blanket and the pipe leading to the 100 cell cats wrapped with coated Thermotec since 2006.
Both the bikes and cart run cooler than before wrap. The turbos in the car spool faster and have better throttle response.
Last time we checked under the wrap, the pipes looked fine.
I'm in sunny California away so maybe that makes a difference.

I've also ceramic coated many pipes in cars and bikes the last 25 years. I works very well and looks a little cleaner for most applications. It is not nearly as effective as the quality wraps on the market though. So if you are looking for heat protection, I would not hesitate using the Thermotec wrap. I wrapped the ceramic coated pipes on my 916SP many years ago to protect the belly pan from heat and to keep the heat off my legs.

-M

·
Registered
25 Posts
i love the messy look of it, and reduce heat!!! was a lot of fun installing the wrap, i didn't know anything about fiberglass! now i do!! :)
IMG_6386.JPG
IMG_6346.JPG

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went for the 2 rolls kit. You will have spare wrap. Dealer did the exhaust take down, wrap and spray paint.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts