Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Scrambler Classic for a year, so I had plenty of time to see the pros and cons that you miss in the test ride when you buy it. The bike is beautiful and that is what made me love it for the first time. Then it is very light for a 800cc and you can ride it like a bycicle. But with time you get to know what is wrong! The seat ! Who made that ? So uncomfortable , that a week later I had to buy a Sargent seat. Then, the suspension is terrible, an upgrade with Öhlins Stx 46 is a must and also a new set of front fork cartridges by Öhlins or Andreani will have to put sooner or later.
The exaust pipe of the classic is a beauty, a perfect design that matches the Classic like no other, but the sound looks like a vacuum cleaner! And there is nothing you can do, no dB killer to take out, except change for Termi or Akrapovic which are by far much uglier than the original...
Finally the engine. It is good but it is all or nothing. It is very unfriendly for city use, harsh in low revs, the engine brakes the bike too much when you put the throttle down, making quite impossible to drive it in relax.
Finally there is something wrong in the footpegs position as my feet touch the ground too easily in curves.
My son loves the bike, but as I own also a BMW R1200R, when I change to it it’s like changing to a spaceship!,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot one more thing! The gearbox is ok, except for finding the neutral position, you have to be lucky to find it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought my 2015 Icon late last September and on riding it for a few miles I realised it needed some tweaking!
I fitted a boosterplug, comfort seat, wider pegs, Leo Vance can and an Mshock. Those few things have really made a big difference! I find that the front forks feel ok now the rear is sorted (I did lower them slightly).
I have a Throttle tamer on the way (600 cam) and a K&N air filter to fit. I think that will make it an awesome ride!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had a couple test rides before buying my Icon back in May 2015. I knew the ugly toy looking exhaust had to go so that was replaced with an sc project. Changed out the shock which made the seat much better and do not feel the need to change that now. Forks got the Andreani kit and transformed how the bike handles and a Rexxer tune got the BMC air filter, 02 delete and exhaust all working in harmony and the bike pulls better than ever. No bike is perfect but thats ok as I made it work for me and it is staying with me for good!

·
Registered
734 Posts
any bike will have room for improvements, unless you order a custom build.
the Scrambler is not the exception, just do couple of upgrades and keep enjoying the bike, if not then try any other one

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree that scrambler out of the factory needs some mods if it's gonna be used regularly. I changed the seat and the throttle cam right away. After getting the funds I also changed the exhaust.

But I disagree about the suspention. I know most people here are very displeased with the stock suspention but I think it get's the job done just fine. The bike feels planted in the corners, doesn't dive on braking. Yeah it's a bit jarring on broken surfaces but it's very easy to stand up on this bike. What I'm saying is stock suspention is perfectly livable unlike the stock seat.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bottom line is that all the Scrambler's quirks and failings are fixable, and half the fun of ownership is making the bike your own.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I agree that scrambler out of the factory needs some mods if it's gonna be used regularly. I changed the seat and the throttle cam right away. After getting the funds I also changed the exhaust.

But I disagree about the suspention. I know most people here are very displeased with the stock suspention but I think it get's the job done just fine. The bike feels planted in the corners, doesn't dive on braking. Yeah it's a bit jarring on broken surfaces but it's very easy to stand up on this bike. What I'm saying is stock suspention is perfectly livable unlike the stock seat.
I totally disagree as after getting the rear shock swapped I have never had any discomfort with the seat myself but hey we are all built up differently

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have Maxton front and rear which is comfier but I didn't mind the std suspension set up, for me the scrambler is a great all-round bike that gets better with a few tweaks. The best overall tweak was the exhaust and remap.

·
Registered
243 Posts
20.000 miles and no prob with the clutch. Only upgraded exhaust and changed bars on my Icon to FT bars. Original suspension and seat are no problem (even with pillion) and lots of riding round London with ease. After 20k it still does what it says on the tin: lots of fun. IMO there are a lot of bikes out there and they all seem to have individual character, unlike cars. I couldnt say what my favourite bike would be as each one ticks a different set of boxes. Modding is fun, and easy on the scrambler but after a point you may as well get a different bike, as mentioned above. After 10k I stopped trying to pretend it was a tourer or a sports bike (or a scrambler for that matter). Thinking of it as a powerful scooter makes more sense:adoration:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
20.000 miles and no prob with the clutch. Only upgraded exhaust and changed bars on my Icon to FT bars. Original suspension and seat are no problem (even with pillion) and lots of riding round London with ease. After 20k it still does what it says on the tin: lots of fun. IMO there are a lot of bikes out there and they all seem to have individual character, unlike cars. I couldnt say what my favourite bike would be as each one ticks a different set of boxes. Modding is fun, and easy on the scrambler but after a point you may as well get a different bike, as mentioned above. After 10k I stopped trying to pretend it was a tourer or a sports bike (or a scrambler for that matter). Thinking of it as a powerful scooter makes more sense:adoration:
Well said, I've always been of the opinion that a bike is exactly what you're doing on it at the time. I don't own a "touring bike" or an "adventure bike" but go on touring adventures every year. The same bike does commuting and track days too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I bought my Icon, it had a pair of lower Renthal bars on it. Yesterday I swapped the original bars back on to it and I have to say, I love the riding position (and the look)!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
When I bought my Icon, it had a pair of lower Renthal bars on it. Yesterday I swapped the original bars back on to it and I have to say, I love the riding position (and the look)!
I have to agree, I fitted Renthals onto my wifes classic when I did the mini Desert Sled conversion. We both weren't sure about the bars so I swapped back to standard. Much better, I did put the crossbar on and fitted the Renthal chin pad which took the excessive high look away.

IMG_0207.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to agree, I fitted Renthals onto my wifes classic when I did the mini Desert Sled conversion. We both weren't sure about the bars so I swapped back to standard. Much better, I did put the crossbar on and fitted the Renthal chin pad which took the excessive high look away.

View attachment 30793
I like the look of the cross bar, could be my purchase!
I've thought about spoked wheels but the price holds me back!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Am just purchasing a set of Icon bars from IanH for my FTP. I like the higher look and very much hoping they reduce my 'wrist ache' (don't you dare).

Glad it's not just me that likes the Icon bars. I was starting to get a complex. :nike::sign5:

Regards the crossbar. My brother took his 'tracker' bars off his old T110, after coming off and catching his leg/do dahs on them on the way through.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts