Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this crap new from Bert's Mega Mall in California. In less than 3k miles the clutch was slipping and the warranty did not cover it "wearable part." Now, 7k miles and I almost caught on fire when a fuel pump connector "disconnected" gushing gasoline on the hot engine and spark plugs and getting my jeans soaked in the finest 91 octane California has to offer. I paid premium money for the italian made, not the Thailand made wrongly thinking that quality would be better. Basically, this motorcycle sucks. And Bert's still cannot figure what went wrong. They told me to come and pick it up. This is what they gave me. Embarrassing!!!! Nobody knows shit from fact. The bike for more than a month like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might want to take it to a Ducati dealership like Ducati Newport Beach. They are more invested in the brand and clientele than a mega mall off bikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Shaka, a ducationly may do better. I'll do that next time. But, this bike almost killed me by gushing gas all over the hot engine and my jeans. I should sue Ducati. They are lucky I do not have the time. For $12,000 I could have gotten me something way much more reliable from the japenese or even the germans.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That could happens to German and Japanese bikes. Could be a prep problem, could be a Friday build. I have 3 Scramblers and have had zero issues. I bought them from GP in San Diego. Must say, all 3 we're delivered with the right adjustments. Sorry to hear about your experience.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Define “they”?

Any half decent dealer will take responsibility if a thing like this happens. You have warrenty or what?

(Biggest problem is finding decent mechanics as a shop owner nowadays, because everyone is getting a college degree and wants to become a manager of some sorts....)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Both of these problems are due to the dealer not carrying a proper PDI. Both should be covered by warranty despite what the dealer may tell you.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Fuel line coming of is a common problem. They will not even put it back on under warranty.
It happened to me, fuel down my leg, left me stranded etc but the dealer put a new fuel pump on (I believe the connetor was damaged) without quibble. It did put me off to the point I sold it not long after but then I bought my current scrambler as I absolutely love this bike and this ones a keeper. I've had a scrambler in my garage 3 years in may which is the longest ive ever owned 1 type of bike and i genuinley cant see it going anywhere unless it gets nicked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Define “they”?

Any half decent dealer will take responsibility if a thing like this happens. You have warrenty or what?

(Biggest problem is finding decent mechanics as a shop owner nowadays, because everyone is getting a college degree and wants to become a manager of some sorts....)
Define “they”?

It happened to me, fuel down my leg, left me stranded etc but the dealer put a new fuel pump on (I believe the connetor was damaged) without quibble. It did put me off to the point I sold it not long after but then I bought my current scrambler as I absolutely love this bike and this ones a keeper. I've had a scrambler in my garage 3 years in may which is the longest ive ever owned 1 type of bike and i genuinley cant see it going anywhere unless it gets nicked.
When I said "they" I meant Ducati. The dealer I took it to was excellent, they fixed it and did not charge me. Ducati would not pay them. My bike was still under warranty. This dealer took on Ducati after I purchased my bike from another dealer.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I do get the impression from this forum that Ducati aren't helpful and it depends on how helpful your dealer is.

Is this the norm with manufacturers? I ask because my FTP is the first new bike I have ever bought.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The dealer I go to is Razee in Rhode Island and they amazing. They out perform my expectations every time. That's a pretty cool thing nowadays.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

This bike doesn't suck, but your dealer sucks, really...

At 3k miles, even if the warranty rules say the clutch is a wearable part, he should have managed the situation differently. Same thing for the disconnected fuel line, even if he isn't responsible as this fuel line was certainly badly connected during the bike build (except if someone has dismounted the tank).

A good dealer always find a solution to manage correctly such situations.

My Scrambler DS is my 4th Ducati, I faced several issues on these different bikes and my dealer has always managed to have them covered by the warranty, even when the rules were broken. I don't know how he managed that, but he did and I've bought these 4 bikes to him and I'm still fully confident with him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't say the bike sucks. Berts Mega Mall, on the other hand...

Honestly since you live in SoCal, the only 2 places I would trust with a Ducati are Pro Italia and Ducati Newport Beach. 2,000 miles on my '16 FTP since I brought it home November 1st and I've had zero issues with the service at Duc Newport.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have 2 1/2 years and 20k kms in australia on an icon and happy with dealer on some minor problems but this week looks like kill start switch is playing up and they want $300 but looking on forums it seems orher people have had this problem so really should be a free fix by ducati with a improved part same as that fuel hose clip which has a history of breaking

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2 1/2 years and 20k kms in australia on an icon and happy with dealer on some minor problems but this week looks like kill start switch is playing up and they want $300 but looking on forums it seems orher people have had this problem so really should be a free fix by ducati with a improved part same as that fuel hose clip which has a history of breaking
I never use the "kill" switch. It is more of an emergency kill switch. I always use the key to turn the bike off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doesn’t really solve it right?

It should _just_work.
yes it should work, but consider this, ignition switches are tested and built to a higher standard than emergency kill switches. They are designed to cycle on and off to a much more consecutive cycle count before failing during the design, testing, failure rate testing. Emergency kill switches are a secondary switch and not designed for the same repetitive cycling standards. If I go down and need to kill the bike, kill switch, if for some reason the ignition switch fails, kill switch. Otherwise I use the ignition switch. Kill switches fail on every brand of vehicle, motorcycle, riding lawn mowers, farm tractors, that's why for years and years mechanics always advise to use the key. Was explained this the first time 45 years or so ago when I started riding motorcycles, and a few years before that riding our farm tractor.
As another issue, if you use the kill switch and forget to turn off the key the battery will drain down. Dead batteries suck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts