Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’ve read every damn chain adjustment post on every scrambler forum and still can’t seem to figure this thing out. I’ve been riding and working on bikes for a long while and have adjusted enough chains and never had a problem. But Ducati’s instructions on where and how to measure are tripping me up.
When I adjust the chain to spec (27-29mm) it feels way tight. And I can hear it and feel it when I ride. That worried me so I loosened it up again and worry it’s too loose. It’s driving me mad.

So my procedure is :
-find the tightest spot,
-set the bike on the side stand
-place a ruler on the ground, about lined up with the high curve of the swing arm,
-press down on the chain (towards the ground) let go, take note of the measurement
-Push the chain up and note the measurement
- subtract the two and get the difference. This number should be between 27-29 mm

what the heck am I doing wrong!
Somebody save me 😖
Photos of your measurements would be super helpful.
Thank you 🙏

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I had a monster the manual called for measuring the distance from the swing arm and not the ground. Don’t know if it’s the same for scrambler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Desmoduc, tried that too but to get the 27- 29mm that way, the chain is way way too loose. Like coming off the sprockets loose.
And I am measuring from the center of the pins on the links, up to the swing arm, at equal distance between the sprockets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm trying to adjust the chain and it's super confusing. You can tighten and loosen the chain just by putting the bike in 1st gear and rolling back and forth. Depending on where the bike is, the chain slack could be 10mm to 45mm... How am I supposed to adjust it to 27-29mm?

·
Registered
978 Posts
-Push the chain up and note the measurement
- subtract the two and get the difference. This number should be between 27-29 mm
It is 27mm in one direction. You are allowing for half the amount of slack the chain should have.
I use the same tape measure technique and simply push the chain up and measure between the normal resting and the top.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm trying to adjust the chain and it's super confusing. You can tighten and loosen the chain just by putting the bike in 1st gear and rolling back and forth. Depending on where the bike is, the chain slack could be 10mm to 45mm... How am I supposed to adjust it to 27-29mm?
The bike should be in neutral when you are adjusting the chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The bike should be in neutral when you are adjusting the chain.
Thanks for the response. I was watching this guy's video:
At 3:10, he put the bike in 1st gear and pushed it forward until the chain is as tight as it can be, then after that he started to adjust the chain tension. I followed his procedure, adjusted it to 27 mm, then I put the bike in neutral, suddenly the chain slack became 45 mm... If I skip that step and go straight to adjusting 27 mm with the bike in neutral, then I put it in 1st gear and push the bike until the chain is the tightest, suddenly the chain slack becomes 10 mm. What's the standard? I just don't know how to interpret the measurement...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks for the response. I was watching this guy's video:
At 3:10, he put the bike in 1st gear and pushed it forward until the chain is as tight as it can be, then after that he started to adjust the chain tension. I followed his procedure, adjusted it to 27 mm, then I put the bike in neutral, suddenly the chain slack became 45 mm... If I skip that step and go straight to adjusting 27 mm with the bike in neutral, then I put it in 1st gear and push the bike until the chain is the tightest, suddenly the chain slack becomes 10 mm. What's the standard? I just don't know how to interpret the measurement...
I have never seen a chain adjusted that way and when I worked in a motorcycle shop we certainly were not taught to adjust them that way. I will continue to do it the way I was taught and the way that has worked for me for 47 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts