Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’ve read every damn chain adjustment post on every scrambler forum and still can’t seem to figure this thing out. I’ve been riding and working on bikes for a long while and have adjusted enough chains and never had a problem. But Ducati’s instructions on where and how to measure are tripping me up.
When I adjust the chain to spec (27-29mm) it feels way tight. And I can hear it and feel it when I ride. That worried me so I loosened it up again and worry it’s too loose. It’s driving me mad.

So my procedure is :
-find the tightest spot,
-set the bike on the side stand
-place a ruler on the ground, about lined up with the high curve of the swing arm,
-press down on the chain (towards the ground) let go, take note of the measurement
-Push the chain up and note the measurement
- subtract the two and get the difference. This number should be between 27-29 mm

what the heck am I doing wrong!
Somebody save me 😖
Photos of your measurements would be super helpful.
Thank you 🙏

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I had a monster the manual called for measuring the distance from the swing arm and not the ground. Don’t know if it’s the same for scrambler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Desmoduc, tried that too but to get the 27- 29mm that way, the chain is way way too loose. Like coming off the sprockets loose.
And I am measuring from the center of the pins on the links, up to the swing arm, at equal distance between the sprockets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts