Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im noticing that when i first turn the bike on and give it gas (still in neutral), theres some noticeable hesitation. if i give it too much throttle the engine will actually die. if i ease in the hesitation and give it some gas for a maybe 5-6 seconds, everything appears to be fine and i can ride off with no issue at all, even if i stop and go again.

this has been happening for the past week or so of riding though. once its going, its fine. but if i give it sudden throttle upon first startup, it dies! it ONLY happens upon first startup.

anyone know whats up?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah, the engine is cold.

I wouldn't be giving any sudden throttle inputs until the engine has some heat in it.
Maybe become more noticeable due to the oil degrading if you've racked up some miles.
I find older oil takes longer to warm up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the engine is cold.

I wouldn't be giving any sudden throttle inputs until the engine has some heat in it.
Maybe become more noticeable due to the oil degrading if you've racked up some miles.
I find older oil takes longer to warm up.
Nah my last oil change was in May.

I’ve never had this issue before though. And for what it’s worth, it’s 30-40 degrees celcius where I am right now. This didn’t happen when it was much colder here during the early winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had the same issue with my Sixty2, engine randomly "popping" and stalling within the first minutes, which was quite of a safety issue for me as my bike is parked underground: had a few scary moments as there was no way to know when the bike was actually ready to go and not randomly losing throttle/stalling while riding the very, very steep slope out of the parking..

Issue appeared right after service and disappeared after an ECU "race" remap..
Not related to weather as it was fine before service and never had any startup issues, even in cold weather (<10°C).

At that time I recorded it for the dealer to listen (see attached link, popping after light throttle at ~14 sec and popping without any throttle input at ~20 sec), answer was "let it warm up" "how long?" "i don't know, just let it warm up". Never had a clear explanation to why it started right after service..

https://www.petit-fichier.fr/2019/07/26/14-sec-pop/14-sec-pop.aif

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let it warm up.
1970's aircooled engine with a very crude and very lean 1990's EFI setup bunged on it to pass emissions tests.
My full RACE termi remap helped a bit but basically,
Start bike
Put on helmet
Put on gloves
Check wallet/pockets
Make sure door locked
Good to go.

Do not start bike cold, give it a fistful and expect it to behave like a Tesla.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It’s possible the temp. sensor is faulty and sending a spurious signal telling the ECU that the engine or ambient air is warmer than it actually is. This will cause the cold start setting/map not to come in.
This fault may not register as a fault because it thinks it’s a true reading.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Let it warm up.
1970's aircooled engine with a very crude and very lean 1990's EFI setup bunged on it to pass emissions tests.
We're talking about a bike released in 2016, full of electronics and changing behavior without any logical reason, as iblastoff described, suddenly acting like a carburetor bike :)

In my case, the only explanation I found for the *pop* sound (without any throttle input) you can clearly hear at 20sec on the recording I posted above could be related to fuel quality, especially here in Vietnam, but, then, why did it appeared right after service and disappeared with the ECU remap?

·
Registered
817 Posts
We're talking about a bike released in 2016, full of electronics and changing behavior without any logical reason, as iblastoff described, suddenly acting like a carburetor bike :)

In my case, the only explanation I found for the *pop* sound (without any throttle input) you can clearly hear at 20sec on the recording I posted above could be related to fuel quality, especially here in Vietnam, but, then, why did it appeared right after service and disappeared with the ECU remap?
Full of electronics? The Scrambler engine is still pretty basic. Could be wrong but the only additional engine management stuff compared to older models with this engine, are the 02 sensors, which feedback to the ECU. Pretty sure it only functions at certain revs and on startup, to get the bike through EU emissions tests.

The Scrambler 800 is not a modern bike really. Not running smoothly immediately upon startup occasionally, really doesn't seem like anything to worry about. As long as it's not excessively rough and fine once warm.

It is a Ducati remember, not a Suzuki...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Full of electronics? The Scrambler engine is still pretty basic. Could be wrong but the only additional engine management stuff compared to older models with this engine, are the 02 sensors, which feedback to the ECU

It is a Ducati remember, not a Suzuki...
Yes, you’re right, you could be wrong.
What about ambient air, engine & intake air temps. Air volume, ignition advance/retard, injector open/close duration, engine position sensors to name but a few. All based on temperatures to correct the fuelling at all throttle openings. One wrong signal and the whole thing goes out of sync.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let it warm up.
My full RACE termi remap helped a bit but basically,
Start bike
Put on helmet
Put on gloves
Check wallet/pockets
Make sure door locked
Good to go.

Do not start bike cold, give it a fistful and expect it to behave like a Tesla.

let me be clear on something. i've had this bike for 2 years now. my startup routine has been the same. this initial throttle hesitation was never there before.

i am NOT 'giving it a fistful' immediately after a cold start. why would i do that? i am giving it some gentle gas just to get it moving. there is a hesitation delay when i GENTLY twist the throttle. if i give it even a bit more, the engine will die. if i hold the throttle right before the cusp where it would die for say 10 seconds, eventually it doesnt die when i go past that threshold.

this is NOT normal and has never happened to me on this bike before.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lol....you should re-read your first post and take note of your username "iblastoff".

I think I can be excused for making assumptions. (Still laughing here...)

Seriously tho, if you've had it 2 years and changed nothing recently including riding style or startup routine, there obviously is an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My bike started to have issues like this around 5k miles unless I warmed it up for about 2 minutes at least.

When I had the Desmo service done at 6.7k miles or so it turns out they suspected spark plugs could have used replacement sooner for that issue. (After the Desmo service including the spark plug swap it went back to never stalling, cold or not)

For the record I always used the button without any throttle input and let it idle at least 30 seconds before doing anything but it literally needed minutes and that wasn’t what it was like when I got it. Seems to be similar to the OP problem.

Like many others here, I was used to carb ducks that acted this way so didn’t even whine about it but it never used to stall or stutter before.

·
Registered
908 Posts
502F7FC0-FF83-4651-AEFF-170AD0C79717.jpeg I think almost every bike on the planet ( for you Americans yes there are also other countries in the world ) need to warm up a little to smooth them out before pulling away.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol....you should re-read your first post and take note of your username "iblastoff".

I think I can be excused for making assumptions. (Still laughing here...)

Seriously tho, if you've had it 2 years and changed nothing recently including riding style or startup routine, there obviously is an issue.

iblastoff is a song title! i've used it as a forum nickname long before i rode bikes haha.

either way, it seemed to completely stopped happening now. the hesitation just vanished! im feeling like maybe the jets or something were slightly clogged and now they've been flushed out? no idea!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts