Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forgive me as this bike is still new to me. i've been getting used to it but i'm wondering if this is normal or not.

i find the throttle to be pretty stiff to roll on. it seems to roll off no problem so it doesn't seem to be sticking or anything. but compared to my suzuki, rolling on the throttle definitely takes way more effort. at speed i don't notice it as much, but for slow manoeuvres / city traffic its a little jarring. it hasnt really been a problem or anything but i'm just wondering if this is normal for ducatis!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Both.

There's basically three things:

1. the action of the throttle body and return spring
2. the throttle cable, needs to be clean and "lubed", but as all bowden cables are nylon or teflon lined nowadays, lubing could actually be counter productive
3. The throttle tube. If it's dirty or gunk had built up the action can become heavier, especially once you rest you hand (and some weight) on it.

Start with the obvious, and rule things out. Remove the bar end, open up the throttle housing on your right bar, and remove the throttle tube. Thoroughly clean it and see if the action improves.

(and yes of course a little dry lubricant like graphite powder before you put it back together)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks like my cable may have snapped! Went to try and ride to work this morning and the throttle wouldn’t return back to normal position and just sticks in place.

So I tried repeatedly closing and opening the throttle with the bike off. Started the bike up (with throttle in closed position) and the bike immediately revs up super high. Turned it off and had to take the damn transit to work.

Gonna check out if the routing is stuck somewhere but pretty sure the initial stiffness may have been caused by a frayed cable that probably finally snapped? Not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Pretty sure the cable is stuck between the plastic guide thingy in the throttle housing on the bar.

(Bad cable routing)

I’ve yet to see a frayed cable stuck in the open position

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a plastic thingy inside the cover you just took off here. Make sure the cable runs neatly over it and the cable doesn't get jammed.
you mean like a separate plastic thing inside the cover? or part of the cover itself? i do see like a plastic path inside the cover area, which i've routed the cable through before closing it up. i sprayed some graphite powder lubricant into that path area as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pretty sure the cable is stuck between the plastic guide thingy in the throttle housing on the bar.

(Bad cable routing)

I’ve yet to see a frayed cable stuck in the open position
Opened it up this morning and it looks like this:

I think that looks ok minus some slack on there? Also seems to be bone dry. Are these cables supposed to be greased up at the ends?

EDIT: just tugged on the cable for a bit and it seemed to retract a bit more. popped it back onto the white plastic throttle thing and i seem to be back in business! should probably still lube that area up though i assume.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

I think that looks ok minus some slack on there? Also seems to be bone dry. Are these cables supposed to be greased up at the ends?

EDIT: just tugged on the cable for a bit and it seemed to retract a bit more. popped it back onto the white plastic throttle thing and i seem to be back in business! should probably still lube that area up though i assume.

Please read the previous posts.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

There is a plastic thingy inside the cover you just took off here. Make sure the cable runs neatly over it and the cable doesn't get jammed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts