Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my icon for a weeks and it is my first bike. I was having a little trouble getting used to the throttle as I have heard from many others. I decided to try the G2 Ergo throttle tamer.

G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube - G2 Ergonomics

Went for a short ride today, about 20 miles, and it really made a big difference. Just thought yall might like to know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I purchased the same one, and got model 40-4X-2STR. Problem with this one was it's raised ring sits outside the throttle housing which lets the tube slide side to side. Made it way harder to control. I was able to remedy it by pushing my bar end mirror right up against the tube and i'm pretty happy with the results. Just curious is that the same tube you got? Did you have a similar issue? I'll include a photo of how mine sits.
IMG_4122.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice too know. If my bike ever arrives and I find the throttle unmanageable I'll order one straight away. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm sure less skilled and inexperienced hands may be part of the issue, but I'd also bet some bikes are much worse than others. I say that because I'm hearing a repeat of conversations from a few years ago regarding a WR250R I owned, and just recently pertaining to my husband's Bonneville.

Sarah

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't had any problems wit the throttle... is it possible that each bike is significantly different?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love how when people report that the throttle is way too touchy others chime in and say "it's fine for me, or even better... "infer that others just don't have a smooth throttle hand".

I have been riding motorcycles for about 32 years. Can't remember if I was 10 or 11 when I got my first kx80. I was a pretty successful racer when I was younger and also enjoy trials riding now. Trials riding takes way more throttle control than riding a street bike ever will.

Belive me when I say, some of the scramblegs have an aweful throttle. Mine is ok I suppose but definitely NOT what I expected from a Ducati. I stopped by the dealer the other day and was asked..how d you like your scrambler? I said it's great except for the ridiculous throttle response curved. He immediately said "oh yeah, the trigger throttle, we are working on that".

For what it's worth, he did say that deleting the California emissions canister would help a little bit so I'm going to try that thus weekend.

Maybe I will look into a throttle tamer. Applying a surgically small amount of throttle and having the bike jerk forward on a nice smooth turn is really a drag.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I haven't had any problems wit the throttle... is it possible that each bike is significantly different?
No I don't think so, but the riders definitely are.
I was out on mine and it has a hair trigger for sure. I'm putting it down to fuel injected but without secondary butterflies. In time I will by-pass the Lambda sensors which should eliminate the constant fuelling correction at small throttle openings.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fitted mine today but found the adjuster for the cable free play wouldn't take all the slack out of the cable.
In the end I had to take up the slack at the throttle body which was not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's interesting to see the huge difference in profile between the two. I've cut my profile back a bit, which improved the initial response. Looking at the pictures I'll take some more off!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I purchased the same one, and got model 40-4X-2STR. Problem with this one was it's raised ring sits outside the throttle housing which lets the tube slide side to side. Made it way harder to control. I was able to remedy it by pushing my bar end mirror right up against the tube and i'm pretty happy with the results. Just curious is that the same tube you got? Did you have a similar issue? I'll include a photo of how mine sits. View attachment 1396
Did you have any problem taking the play out of the cable once you had the tamer fitted?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did notice there was quite a bit of extra slack when I switched but I figured it was mostly from when I swapped to lower bars and didn't adjust it. It took a lot of fooling with and adjusting fully to fix it or get it close enough.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The adjuster on mine was already just over half way out when I got the bike. Perhaps they are making the inner cable slightly too long.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love how when people report that the throttle is way too touchy others chime in and say "it's fine for me, or even better... "infer that others just don't have a smooth throttle hand".

I have been riding motorcycles for about 32 years. Can't remember if I was 10 or 11 when I got my first kx80. I was a pretty successful racer when I was younger and also enjoy trials riding now. Trials riding takes way more throttle control than riding a street bike ever will.

Belive me when I say, some of the scramblegs have an aweful throttle. Mine is ok I suppose but definitely NOT what I expected from a Ducati.
I love how people seem to think that they need to justify their opinion with an extensive motorcycling resume. Every opinion is worthwhile as long as it's relevant, interesting, thought provoking or helpiest (he hee). Sometimes the green rider offers the most refreshing point of view or opinion!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I do think the bikes can be significantly different-- for instance, we're hearing how some folks are bothered by stalling on decel, while others have not had that happen a single time. And as I've said, check some of the other bike forums and you'll see the same discussions. I also notice this topic tends to make us pissy with each other if we're not careful. I've said this before too: those with smooth bikes can't understand what the fuss is about, those with problem bikes feel they are being brushed off as somehow unskilled.

I had a Yamaha that nearly drove me nuts til I got it sorted.

Sarah

·
Registered
149 Posts
I feel that the throttle on my scrambler is sensitive but not as sensitive as it has been on my other ducatis.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts