Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I love how when people report that the throttle is way too touchy others chime in and say "it's fine for me, or even better... "infer that others just don't have a smooth throttle hand".

I have been riding motorcycles for about 32 years. Can't remember if I was 10 or 11 when I got my first kx80. I was a pretty successful racer when I was younger and also enjoy trials riding now. Trials riding takes way more throttle control than riding a street bike ever will.

Belive me when I say, some of the scramblegs have an aweful throttle. Mine is ok I suppose but definitely NOT what I expected from a Ducati. I stopped by the dealer the other day and was asked..how d you like your scrambler? I said it's great except for the ridiculous throttle response curved. He immediately said "oh yeah, the trigger throttle, we are working on that".

For what it's worth, he did say that deleting the California emissions canister would help a little bit so I'm going to try that thus weekend.

Maybe I will look into a throttle tamer. Applying a surgically small amount of throttle and having the bike jerk forward on a nice smooth turn is really a drag.
Canister delete did not do the trick for me, neither did the Termi pipe and remap. Horrible throttle.

· Registered
114 Posts
Thumper.. man that sucks. I can't believe the difference thr canister delete made on mine. Perhaps it's partly in my head, but it honestly does feel much smoother on the low end.

Do you think how you break it in would Mae a difference? I don't want to start a break in thread but my scrambler had 1.7 miles on it when I got it and I immediately drove it like a raped ape.

· Registered
232 Posts
I've got the same tamer and the same problem without enough cable adjustment. How much do you have to take the bike apart to get to the throttle body? Is it then easily adjusted once you get to it?
You have to remove the left and right airbox covers, then the main airbox cover that houses the air filter.

When you get to the throttle body, a top tip is that the metal tube holding the throttle cable to the body is held by the spring clip in the photo below - You can just lever this slightly open to release the cable adjuster upwards to allow it to be turned.

I found out the hard way which is why the photo shows the bracket separate from the throttle body.

· Registered
735 Posts
What adaptors do you have on the abba stand?

They seem longer than mine - just thinking about making longer ones

But looking at stand it looks like it is not wide enough to fit longer adaptors to clear the pegs

I have the Monster ones on mine but they need to be 35mm longer a side to clear the foot pegs - so 70mm and the frame has only 40mm more before the arm is over the end.

Can we get more info and photos?

THANKS

· Registered
232 Posts
What adaptors do you have on the abba stand?

They seem longer than mine - just thinking about making longer ones

But looking at stand it looks like it is not wide enough to fit longer adaptors to clear the pegs

I have the Monster ones on mine but they need to be 35mm longer a side to clear the foot pegs - so 70mm and the frame has only 40mm more before the arm is over the end.

Can we get more info and photos?

THANKS
I'm sure the adaptors will be the same as yours as they are about the shortest you can get.

He is the Abba stand without the adaptors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
For what it is worth, several motorcycle reviews that I read, before buying the Scrambler, all really liked the bike. However, they also commented about the snatchy throttle. Marc Cook, editor-in-chief of Motorcyclist wrote: ..."the throttle response is off-the charts too abrupt. If someone of my experience has to concentrate on riding smoothly, what's it going to be like for the true beginner?" For me, the US $80 Throttle Tamer did the job, and I ain't a beginner.

· Registered
7 Posts
Easy when you know how. Airbox came off nice and easily, the airbox covers looked to have been put on with the alloy spacers on the wrong screws though, I'd guess at service time.
Then the tip for pushing the metal clip with the screwdriver saved me a load of time.
Pop the cable out of the throttle
Loosen locknut
Jam screwdriver in clip
Push adjuster up to get at 10mm adjuster
Tighten adjuster

Thanks very much :) I'm happier with the throttle now. The first bit of throttle is still not perfect, but it's over a wider amount of wrist movement so it is improved.

· Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone put a Throttle Tamer on a Scrambler with stock Ducati heated grips? I have heated grips and know that they come pre mounted on a throttle tube but don't know if you can take the grips off the stock tube and put them on the Throttle Tamer.

I wish someone could this question!!!

If the answer is no, you can't take off the stock tube from the ducati heated grips to mount the grip on the throttle tamer, I will not install the ducati heated grips! I will rather buy oxford heated grips that have no tube so you can installed them over the throttle tamer. Since I have the throttle tamer, I don't want to have to uninstall it as I like much more the throttle now than the stock snappy one!!

· Registered
3,140 Posts
I just read on an Austrian website how Ducati tamed the jerky throttle on the Desert Sled: progressive throttle tube instead of a linear one.

So basically, they installed a tube similarly shaped as the G2 from the factory. Which is good I think because this tube may resolve the cable play issue.

· Registered
14 Posts
I just read on an Austrian website how Ducati tamed the jerky throttle on the Desert Sled: progressive throttle tube instead of a linear one.

So basically, they installed a tube similarly shaped as the G2 from the factory. Which is good I think because this tube may resolve the cable play issue.
It would be great so to be able to purchase also the genuine ducati heated grips with this progressive tube because at the moment a limitation of their heated grips is that they come with a throttle tube glued to the grip, this means that for someone like me that has a throttle tamer installed and doesn't want to uninstall it, I cannot basically have their heated grips installed, as this would mean I have to uninstall the throttle tamer I have installed. :(

· Registered
14 Posts
Could you not break the glue from the heated grips and the factory tube the same way you'd break the glue between any other grip and tube?
The heating element is on the throttle tube not the grip, so at this point it would be simply great if we could order that heated grips from the desert model so that we have heated grips with more gentle throttle.

The additional pain of the genuine ducati heated grips is that they are not designed to have the grips stripped off from the heating elements, so in theory if you need to replace just the grip itself, you would need to re purchase the whole set.

I wish it would be a bit easier. So far the best solution for me it is probably to either install oxford heated grips (and I can retain the throttle tamer) or the symtec heat demon heated grips as with this you can have throttle tamer installed and even the choice of the grips you like! only pain is that you need to install a relay or if the switch of grips is left on, you will find your battery dead!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.