Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, has anyone with the Sport Pro had the unfortunate experience of looking for tires yet? The odd sizes make it a bit difficult to get the best brands and choices and maintain the stock size and aspect. I have done a ton of reading and have got mixed reviews and wanted to see what you all think here about going from a 120/80 18 to a 120/70 18 in the front to broaden the tire options. Looking to get a bit more mileage out of tires over the MT 60RS, and TBH I'm not going in the dirt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth.. I put Michelin Road 5's on my 2019 Sports as I wasn't interested in hitting the dirt.. You would need to use the GT hoop on the front due to the size. Great tyre, great handiling experiences in all conditions thus far ( I pretty much ride everyday in all condittions, commuting and scratching ). Wore out the MT60s in just over 5000kms and have 5500kms on the Road 5's and you'd be hard pressed to detect any wear..

·
Registered
867 Posts
Went with Bridgestone A41X on the Flat Track Pro. Still have some gravel road capability but are largely a street tyre and so far are much nicer to ride on than the MT60s.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wow, I thought the rim size made tyre selection limited for the 800! 120/80 is very unusual.
I doub't youd have any issues going with a 70 profile instead. It's what @Lord Farquaad apears to have done with no reported problems.

I highly reccomend the Metzeler Z8 interacts. My favourite tyre so far, over their whole life.
My favourite (now ex) Ducati dealer Lincoln, reccomended them without hesitating when I asked and they wern't wrong...

I've used the MT60, the Z8's & Bridgestone T30's on Scramblers. Pilot Power 3's & Metzeler Sportec M7RR, Dunlop Sportmaxx & Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2/3's on other bikes.
Z8 remains a fave and definately the best I've used on the Scrambler. The T30 is ok but when new it's very egg shaped, likes to drop into a turn really fast but gradually wears to a more liner turn.

Z8's felt the same from day 1, until they were almost dead. Really nice linear roll onto the edge too, much like the standard MT60, except they last twice as long and handle way better. Livens up the scrambler, as I supect they are much lighter than the MT60. Being a single compound, Metzeler reckons this makes them much more even in feel across the profile, no changes in grip or feedback. Maybe thats why I like them so much... best compliment is that I didnt think too much about them, until they were gone.

Local bike tyre guy swears by Continental Road Attack 3's though. he tries just about every tyre that comes out but keep's those on his main personal bike. So I'll be trying them next.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can’t compare the 120/80 to the 120/70 as I’ve only ridden the later. But I can confirm the bike handles well on the alternate size (which is an OEM approved tyre/size as far as I can tell).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All, I went for the Angle GTs and will let you know how it compares to the stock set up once I get some miles on them. @OzScrambler1100, I really wanted the Road 5, but with the 18 front it's a no-go, and I can't have 2 different styles, even if they are the same brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Volkseddie Good choice.. Apologies for the confusion.. The GT hoop I referred to on the front is an 18" Michellin Road 5 GT.. Same tread as the normal Road 5, Same performance, properties and wear.. It just has an extra radial belt to support heavier touring bikes and as such has supposedly a bit stiffer carcass.. As I'm not exactly svelte I don't notice that is it is stiffer in any way.. :) Still a brilliant tyre..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@OzScrambler1100 Thanks I will keep this in mind for the next set in 6 months, lol. I wish I would have looked deeper at the Road 5 GT, I like the tread pattern much better on that tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey everyone, has anyone with the Sport Pro had the unfortunate experience of looking for tires yet? The odd sizes make it a bit difficult to get the best brands and choices and maintain the stock size and aspect. I have done a ton of reading and have got mixed reviews and wanted to see what you all think here about going from a 120/80 18 to a 120/70 18 in the front to broaden the tire options. Looking to get a bit more mileage out of tires over the MT 60RS, and TBH I'm not going in the dirt.
I've ran 110/ 80 and 120/7018 and 120/80 and can find no difference in handling or wear. Shinko 705 is my prefered tire but have ran Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop, and all wear out at about the same time [ rear] 4 to 5 thousand miles. So on a cost per mile Shinko tires excell and they stick on the mtn roads here in the Blue Ridge Mtns. Have 50,000 miles on my bike so I know tire wear---!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts