Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to re-tire the Classic. Since I ride 99% of the time on pavement I am looking at the Avon Storm 3D to replace the original pirelli's. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Just put a set of those on my bike this week, but haven't ridden the bike yet so I can't offer any impressions. I don't think I read a single bad review, and they seem to be longer wearing than many of the sport-touring tires. We're headed to Nova Scotia in a few days so they'll soon have 4,000 or so miles on them, we'll see how they do.

Sarah

·
Registered
199 Posts
Again, I'm not familiar with Avons on the scrambler. But I've had a set of Michellin Pilot Road 3's on mine now.
I've done approx 700 miles on them which have been a mix of commuting and giving them absolute death on empty back roads along with a 30 mile stint in the most biblical rain conditions I have ever ridden in. And they have been absolutely faultless up until now.

I really really rate the MT60's that come as standard on the scrambler, but like you I ride 100% on road and fancied a more road biased tyre. While I would happily fit MT60's again, these PR3's do put up a really strong case do make it difficult to go back to them again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, I'm not familiar with Avons on the scrambler. But I've had a set of Michellin Pilot Road 3's on mine now.
I've done approx 700 miles on them which have been a mix of commuting and giving them absolute death on empty back roads along with a 30 mile stint in the most biblical rain conditions I have ever ridden in. And they have been absolutely faultless up until now.

I really really rate the MT60's that come as standard on the scrambler, but like you I ride 100% on road and fancied a more road biased tyre. While I would happily fit MT60's again, these PR3's do put up a really strong case do make it difficult to go back to them again.
Are the Michellin's the same size front and rear as the MT 60's?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have become interested in all the tire threads at the moment as my rear is due for its first change (8,500 kms). My summary of the info on the forum, and a quick chat to my tire guy, has lead me to believe that the OEM MT60RS offer the best grip, but not the best mileage, for solely road use. Is that fair? Or are some you firmly convinced there are sticker tires available?

I made an inquiry to the dealer about swapping out the cafe racer 17" front and he believes it would be a straight swap and not an adversely material change in handling. Hasn't got back to me on a price yet. I expect it is expensive so may have to wait for a wrecked one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My research suggests that the Pirelli Angel GTs and Metzeler Roadtec 01 equivalents most sporty of the sports tourers, whereas the michelin pilot road 3, Avons and others still excellent tyres slightly less 'sporty grip' but slightly better in wet/distance. Suppose it depends what riding you plan to do. In terms of swapping to a 17" wheel, suggest you are careful. I read somewhere that it will affect the geometry/balance/handling. The cafe racer rake and set up is different to the rest of 18" front wheel Scrambler range.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've had many bikes in all the flavours, some of my favourites are Supermoto'd enduro style bikes like the Honda XR 650 + XR600, CCM 644, Suzi DRZ400, KTM690smcr ++
This entailed changing the 18" rear and 21" front wheels to phat 17"s which is a bit more extreme than just the front from 18 to 17"
In every case the bike handled far better and much quicker for direction changes for fast road riding. I don't think 'read somewhere' cuts it for tech advice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
lead me to believe that the OEM MT60RS offer the best grip, but not the best mileage, for solely road use. Is that fair? Or are some you firmly convinced there are sticker tires available?
The MT60's do offer very good grip at the expense of longevity. To be honest though, the longevity part does not concern me, I would much rather have a tyre that grips and performs faultlessly, than one which maybe does not perform as well but gives better mileage.

Now.Moving on to the alternatives to the MT60. I will only comment on the Michelin PR3's as these are the only other tyre I have experience of on the Scrambler.

For me, I'd say that ultimate grip when really pushing on is slightly higher than the MT60's. It is very marginal though and I would say that a well-ridden Scrambler on MT60's would quite easily keep pace with a similarly well-ridden Scrambler on PR3's.
Both tyres appear to warm up pretty quickly, and both offer decent levels of grip from cold as well.

A couple of areas where I think the PR3's do outshine the MT60's though is transition from fully banked over from one side of the tyre, to fully banked over on the opposite side of the tyre. The bike does feel quicker going from side to side.

The PR3's are also slightly better in the wet too and a little more confidence inspiring. In saying that though I did ride through a full winter on the MT60's without issue, and these PR3's may only feel better in the wet now as the outside temps are higher and the roads aren't covered in the winter grime, slime and salt. So that extra wet weather grip feel may be a due to that?

In all honesty though, I would go back to MT60's in a heart beat. I love that tyre and I only changed because I fancied giving something different a try.
If you can get MT60's cheaper than anything else, and you are happy with the wear rate on them, then buy and fit them. You really aren't missing out on anything revelational. Maybe just some minor marginal gains here and there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In terms of swapping to a 17" wheel, suggest you are careful.
Don't worry. I'll do my homework. Most likely wait until others have done it. I am sure the racers among us will be keener than me.

.......In every case the bike handled far better and much quicker for direction changes for fast road riding. I don't think 'read somewhere' cuts it for tech advice.
Cheers Hui. The people I have heard from that have done all seem to agree it is most definitely doable.

Thanks Airsafari87. Only the rear needs replacing so am going with OEM for now. Might try something different when the front is up. Mostly like you say, just to try something different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts