Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I or don't I fit these to my bike?
I need my bike to look like the infamous mad max version the only thing I'm concerned about is handling on road as I don't ride off road (yet).
Would I hate the handling? Most reviews give good feedback about on road performance but I would like to know if that rear tyre is ok on the front ( if that makes sense).
Most of my riding is 2 up, the odd blast on my own and the occasional commute to work in the dry only also very rare that I go above 100mph (tkc 99 max).
Also the price for ride in ride out front and rear is £276, asda price?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've contemplated the same thing, love the way it looks, but for street / canyon riding, going to be a pain in the pass. Friend fitted them on his Scrambler and says they wear out faster than the stock MT60s too. He also fitted steering dampers just to cut on the road chatter he was getting on his bars.

For my needs I'm gonna pass, supposedly the Scorpion Rally tires like the ones found on the DS fare better, but I may just wind up going with a sport touring tire and hit the corners a little harder.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've contemplated the same thing, love the way it looks, but for street / canyon riding, going to be a pain in the pass. Friend fitted them on his Scrambler and says they wear out faster than the stock MT60s too. He also fitted steering dampers just to cut on the road chatter he was getting on his bars.

For my needs I'm gonna pass, supposedly the Scorpion Rally tires like the ones found on the DS fare better, but I may just wind up going with a sport touring tire and hit the corners a little harder.
But does he like them? I'm not too fussed about wear as I don't do mega miles but just feel I need them in my life but I do like every now and then giving it full berries and I'm worried the Tkc's would under preform and take the fun out of the bike.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had a set on my Yamaha Super Tenere. They had a strong vibration at very low speed and a bit around 70 mph. They were loud but they were fun off pavement...
And they handled aggressive on pavement riding with surprisingly good results, AS LONG AS THE ROADS WERE DRY.

Wet pavement riding was my main complaint with them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had a set on my scrambler for the last couple months. The cornering is definitely nowhere near as good as the stock MT60s, but if you aren't dragging your knee/scraping pegs in corners now, they'll be fine. My cornering feels more "square" now, meaning the bike doesn't want to lean as much in turns as before. I'm not sure if that's the tires, or my subconscious telling me not to push it. Vibration wise I didn't notice too much, although there was a 3 week period between riding on the different tires that could've allowed me to forget how smooth the pirellis rode. I do get a little bit of vibration at 3mph.. Rain riding isn't bothersome on them, I'm obviously more cautious in the wet on these tires since the rain reduces traction, and these tires have less to begin with. I rode home in a downpour for an hour on Monday and lost traction once accelerating over a wet crosswalk. My fault, not the tires. Overall I'm happy with the tires, I usually commute 40 miles on weekdays and spend my weekends in deep sand and mud and these tires take care of both aspects for me pretty well. Hope this helps you make your decision, if you have more questions, just ask.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a set on my scrambler for the last couple months. The cornering is definitely nowhere near as good as the stock MT60s, but if you aren't dragging your knee/scraping pegs in corners now, they'll be fine. My cornering feels more "square" now, meaning the bike doesn't want to lean as much in turns as before. I'm not sure if that's the tires, or my subconscious telling me not to push it. Vibration wise I didn't notice too much, although there was a 3 week period between riding on the different tires that could've allowed me to forget how smooth the pirellis rode. I do get a little bit of vibration at 3mph.. Rain riding isn't bothersome on them, I'm obviously more cautious in the wet on these tires since the rain reduces traction, and these tires have less to begin with. I rode home in a downpour for an hour on Monday and lost traction once accelerating over a wet crosswalk. My fault, not the tires. Overall I'm happy with the tires, I usually commute 40 miles on weekdays and spend my weekends in deep sand and mud and these tires take care of both aspects for me pretty well. Hope this helps you make your decision, if you have more questions, just ask.
Thanks for the replies, can you lean the bike over as far, ive nearly lost my chicken strips on the mt60s and worry that i might run out of tread on the tkcs (this is only done on one roundabout to see how far i dare lean over so not a biggy) also have you even exceeded the tyres speed limit or experienced any wobbles, need to ensure the wife is safe on the back ( it's actually her idea to buy the Tkc's as we saw a mega triumph with them on at a show).
Thanks in advance
Armo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the replies, can you lean the bike over as far, ive nearly lost my chicken strips on the mt60s and worry that i might run out of tread on the tkcs (this is only done on one roundabout to see how far i dare lean over so not a biggy) also have you even exceeded the tyres speed limit or experienced any wobbles, need to ensure the wife is safe on the back ( it's actually her idea to buy the Tkc's as we saw a mega triumph with them on at a show).
Thanks in advance
Armo
I wouldn't lean the bike over on these as far as I would on the MT60s, but that's probably more of a preference/confidence in myself issue. There is a lot less tread at the end of the TKCs than the MT60s. I might have exceeded the limit once or twice on these, but it was very brief. After a ride at 85-90MPH for 25 miles a couple weeks back, I happened to touch my rear tire and it was hot to the touch. I usually keep it below 80mph now just to avoid any heat issues with the tire(to be fair, it is summer here in florida and we aren't known for cool summer days...). I haven't experienced any wobbles, but I haven't ridden 2up on these yet either as the wife prefers to ride her own bike. Wish I could be more help on that. I would maybe compare the weight of our bikes with an extra person on the back, vs the weight of the BMW GS bikes that these usually get fitted on. If the weight is close, I'd worry a lot less.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got this today from continental, guess I'm sticking with mt60's.
Screenshot_20170707-162730.png

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was under the impression that the correct front tire was available in Europe. Was this an incorrect assumption?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My front is a rear. I'm not sure that it matters since this really isn't a directional tread pattern, but I do have it mounted in reverse as well. I'm using the 4.00X18 tire, as it was the closest I could get to the original tire size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a set of these, and my front is a rear too. I've had these tyres on another bike also. I've been on the stock tyres for 2 years and just switched over. There is definitely a twitchier feel to them on the road, but you get over it after a day.

You might be hesitant to lean into the corners on them at first because of this twitchy sensation you get from them, but once you've done it a few times you realised these tyres are soft and grippy and you're not going anywhere.

I don't have any issues in the wet, as I ride cautiously in these conditions anyway. The tyres might have less grip, but the compound is softer so maybe it compensates slightly (yes no science there - purely speculation).

I don't experience any noise or excessive vibration. I've never ridden over 100mph and rarely go over 70mph (live in London). I haven't gone off road on these yet, but will do when I get the time, as that was partly the point of putting them on.

But they look so good, I can forgive a little excessive noise and vibration. I'd argue that they make the ride comfier actually, like a cushion on the tread.

I paid £180 for the pair and then took the wheels off myself and took them down to a local tyre centre and they swapped them over for £10. Make sure you tell them you have tubes - if you are on the spoked wheels, otherwise they'll stick the tyre iron in and might cut it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts