Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was being held up by a car blocking the overtaking lane in a 100kmh zone, with a car almost next to it in the normal lane. We were all doing about 100 going down a long downhill. I waited and waited and as soon as there was space I overtook on the car in the OT lane on the inside and returned to the OT lane doing about 120km.

I look in my mirrors and I’m being tail gated at 120. I go to 130 and he’s still there. I wave at him to keep up and open her right up from about 4500 rpm and I make space pretty quickly.

I look back through the mirrors and I see the red and blue lights in the grill. Dumbfounded!

I pull over and the first thing the guy says is that hes not going to book me. He reckoned he was letting me know he was a cop by following me. I told him tail gating is a death threat. He then proceeded to lecture me about dangerous driving.

I’d been baited. I think he realised he couldn’t book me with what happened and the video in the car.

I respect police officers - tough job - but I honestly think this guy made a mistake and should’ve admitted it. I certainly admitted my mistake by over taking on the inside - I honestly think he saw me coming though and set me up to break the rules

·
Registered
205 Posts
... because as we all know, as soon as the downhill overtaking lane ends and turns into a single lane, both cars will do 80kph.
OP was trying to use the overtaking lane to overtake (why it is there) before this occurred so he didn't get caught up in a more hazardous overtaking situation later.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had cars behind me waiting as well. Traffic normally does between 100 and 110 down this fairly straight decent. I generally try to keep a little faster than the surround traffic.
I believe this is the same approach taught in police motorcycle schools. It’s the safest because you minimise the likelihood of being hit from behind by someone not paying attention.

having said all that. It felt like I was baited - and the guy reacted by tail gating me which I consider a death threat. I get it a lot on my bike from young guys in big utes who think I should be driving like Valentino because I’m on a Ducati. It was worse in the panigale - every body wants a race when your on a race bike

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
just let any idiots past, even if you have to slow down - it's not worth taking anyone on at all be them baiting cops or dicks in utes…

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think you were definitely baited. Only thing you did wrong or maybe not so well is taking off way above the limit...not safety wise; law wise. Too many unmarked coppers with quotas, speed cameras and knobends with dashcams. Hey, I've done it too, many times, so no judgement here. Deano is right tho...let them go.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a rare move - I get tail-gated in the dark when it’s wet by knobs in big utes. There are so many animals out at night in southern Tas - the road is littered with them

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's plenty of animals all over unfortunately. Being Tasmanian born I can empathise, but the same definitely happens in the big cities. Having lived in Hobart, Sydney and Melbourne I can say they all have their bad patches. For Melbourne that sort of aggressive ute behaviour is on the outer suburbs pretty strongly, but traffic is pretty kind closer in. Sydney was aggressive all-round, however I used to work in the CBD so was fighting peakhour aggression daily 😅

·
Registered
131 Posts
In Scotland our lockdown as regards travelling within Scotland was relaxed as of yesterday 16/04/21. I took a short 20 mile spin yesterday and a 160 mile central Scotland ride today. Musselburgh,Alloa,Stirling, Cumbernauld,Glasgow,Armadale,South Queensferry,Edinburgh,Musselburgh. My 803 Classic ran like swiss watch. New front tyre now needed which wll be on the cards very soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts