Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
today we were out for a ride in the Black Forest, went to Touratech for the event.

On the ride home, we had beautiful wheater, the streets were awesome and we were really pressing the rubber.

In one turn I meant I felt the bike slip - just a tiny bit - but I wasn´t really sure.
After some kilometres I forgot the fright, then in a long right curve it happened again.
This time stronger than the first time.
The front tire slipped to the outside of the corner, I´ve let the throttle lose, the bike stood up a bit and all went well, but there I was sure I was at the edge of what the bike is capable of with this tires.

I still ride with the original tires, having about 2300 kms on it.
The rear tire is driven out to its edge, the front tire still has some Centimeters left to his edge.

Who of you has had the same experience?
Any tire recommendation to fix that?

Cheers,
Jo

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Could have been some dust, oil/diesel spill patch? Tar snake?

I don’t know how hard you were pushing it, but in my experience the stock DS tires are a pretty good street tire.

I love them chasing in the canyons here.

What pressure do you use?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn´t see anything on the street before, but am always having an eye on that stuff.
After the second slip I stopped, to look if there is something on the tire, like a bit oil etc., but there was nothing.

Pressure is about 2,5 bar, what is about 36 psi I suppose?

Is your rear tire driven at / over the edge?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Probably just something on the road as already mentioned I wouldn't worry about it it happens to everybody who actually rides a bike from time to time. The bike probably only moved a half a centimetre or less although it always feels like a lot more. Don't over think it and don't change anything there is no harm and you stayed upright which is all the matters.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could have been some dust, oil/diesel spill patch? Tar snake?

I don’t know how hard you were pushing it, but in my experience the stock DS tires are a pretty good street tire.

I love them chasing in the canyons here.

What pressure do you use?
I found out on my last ride the stock tires are SUPER SCARY on tar snakes. They also aren't very good in sand. But overall they are pretty good on the street and decent in average dirt conditions.

But if were only riding pavement I'd probably get something more pavement oriented unless you like the look. It sounds like the OP was pushing it pretty hard on the street.

Personally I plan to try the Shinko 805/804 tires next for a more dirt oriented setup. Most guys have said the the 805/804 are still quite good on the street.

I've run the Shinko 705 tires on my Stelvio and most say the 80X are better on the pavement which surprises me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting, I haven’t encountered any problems with tar snakes...
I hadn't too much until my last ride. I was on a back road near Santa Paula with some rather wide snakes and OMG, it was like hitting ice, freaked me out.

Maybe it was just those particular ones but now I'm watching them very closely.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No time and some rain, since now, I will try it with 2,0bar soon.

Yes, we were pretty low, like I said back tire at / over the edge.
It wasn´t to hot and I didn´t see anything like an oil spot or tar snakes.

Tar snakes are not my friends anyway, I always try to curve around them, what sometimes lead to odd manouvers.
:02.47-tranquillity:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts