Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a toolkit for a trip I'm planning for this summer.
What kind of tools do you all take with you when you're multiple days away from your garage?
Or do you have a pre-built kit that you recommend?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm putting together a toolkit for a trip I'm planning for this summer.
What kind of tools do you all take with you when you're multiple days away from your garage?
Or do you have a pre-built kit that you recommend?
Honestly I would say to look at some of the ADV YT channels. Those guys have a lot of great suggestion for kits/supplies. It really is going to depend on how far off the beaten path you will be going.

·
Registered
954 Posts
In 40+ years I have never travelled with anything other than the stock tool kit and whatever I need to repair a flat tyre. I have had to repair 3 or 4 flats in that period.
In the old days the stock tool kit was sufficient to do any required minor maintenance but today if a bike stops you probably can't fix it beside the road anyway due to the complex electronics so why even bother trying? Make sure you have a roadside assistance plan and a credit card with you.

One tip is to go over the bike and work out what you can actually do in the way of roadside maintenance and what you can't. If you think the trip is going to be long enough that for example you are likely to need to adjust the chain tension (it would have to be a long trip these days) then practice adjusting the chain with the tools on the bike. There is no point in trying to loosen an axle with a small wrench when the thing was over tightened with a rattle gun the last time it was adjusted.

·
Registered
Scrambler 1100
841 Posts
Done lots of touring.. always took compressor, duct tape, zip ties, spare fuses, Allen keys👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found recently that a 30mm socket and wrench to remove the axle is invaluable. I was stranded for 2 days because I was in a town that did not have any. I also hand tighten the axle nuts with a 8 inch socket wrench that I carry with me to ensure that I can loosen the axles if needed to change a tube.

I also find a good set of metric allen keys invaluable, especially a folding set. Leathermans and zip ties will save your but too.

They way I look at travelling, while a credit card and cell phone can get you out of 99% problems the best way to avoid sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow is to be able to get the bike moving again. The biggest challenge will be a flat tire or running out of gas on these bikes.

Getting to town into a hotel makes waiting for those parts or tools much easier! I had to sleep on the side of the road for 6 hours waiting for a tow truck once, in rural georgia, with nothing but pine trees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts