Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just thought I would give my experience of doing a track day on the 800 Scrambler (Icon).

What an experience! Out of this world... pure focus and excitement.
I attended the Ducati only track day at Donington yesterday and being my first track day ever, to say I was nervous is an understatement!

I took it very steady for the first session, in fact to show you how fast I don't ride on the road, on the two sighting laps I was cornering faster and more leant over than I've ever done in my life.

Session two I asked for some guidance from one of the instructors, so I followed him for 3 laps and he then followed me for 2 laps. I soon realised that some corners were all about having more confidence to go through them quicker.

Time for lunch and the first session after the break was the my group again, novice.

I said to myself that I would try harder for the 3rd session and I sure did! Lol.
I took corners much faster, braked later and harder so much in fact that I was running out of brakes and that was using all of my back brake too! Back wheel was hopping slightly into some corners squealing as it landed each time.

The bike performed really well considering the suspension is standard, pulled decently out of corners though this is where i lost out to the other bikes.
The Scrambler did really well in the corners especially the slower corners.
The tyres did very well though I'm sure a set of road tyres would of been better.
My only gripe is the brakes so I'm on the look out for better pair of brake pads.
All in all a great day out, one I will never forget and something that I've wanted to do for 23 years!

So have a go on a track with the Scrambler. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have one planned for later this year and was thinking of using the Scrambler in the hope that actually being on a slightly smaller capacity (slower) bike will help improve technique better because you can't just rely on powering out of a corner. Do you think you benefited from that compared to the riders of the bigger bikes?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have one planned for later this year and was thinking of using the Scrambler in the hope that actually being on a slightly smaller capacity (slower) bike will help improve technique better because you can't just rely on powering out of a corner. Do you think you benefited from that compared to the riders of the bigger bikes?

I would say yes, using a slightly under powered bike for a track day means i learnt about the braking and corner entry/exit more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Look like new tyres as well ... they took quite a hammering ... good!!!
:)

Yes the tyres held up well, they didn't deteriorate as much as normal road tyres. It was either due to there being less stress put through them due to the lower power output of the bike and/or the knobbly tyres allow some cooling?

I don't think I had much more lean angle to be had looking at my rear tyre lol.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes the tyres held up well, they didn't deteriorate as much as normal road tyres. It was either due to their being less stress out through them due to the lower power output of the bike and/or the knobbly tyres allow some cooling?

I don't think I had much more lean angle to be had looking at my rear tyre lol.
I had new tyres put on the other week - big difference in the amount the bike seemed to move around on the larger tread blocks ..
In other words I'm not sure there's any advantage with knobblys - I'm sure an expert will be along shortly ...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had new tyres put on the other week - big difference in the amount the bike seemed to move around on the larger tread blocks ..
In other words I'm not sure there's any advantage with knobblys - I'm sure an expert will be along shortly ...
A distinct disadvantage in the dry on tarmac, they just look better on the Scrambler.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey everyone,

My only gripe is the brakes so I'm on the look out for better pair of brake pads.
All in all a great day out, one I will never forget and something that I've wanted to do for 23 years!

So have a go on a track with the Scrambler. :)
I bought EBC HH pads, recommended by Max.
Great brake pad brand and affordable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I had researched about the front brake before hand and changed the pads!
I didn't get so much of a hiss just a dull drone as the brakes faded and ran out! Lol.

Looking back the Scrambler with better tyres and updated brake pads with standard suspension is a little fun capable track bike!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought EBC HH pads, recommended by Max.
Great brake pad brand and affordable.

Hi guys,
Just a couple of questions.. are the EBC HH pads the best performance upgrade for the Scrambler?
Is the product code for them FA630HH?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts