Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode my Full Throttle on the track. This was my first time on a track ever. This is the most fun I've ever had. The scrambler did ok. The bike was probably a bit more capable than I was. Admittedly I was a bit scared to lean too far over. Can't wait to go again!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks like a blast ... I'm too much of a novice still but would love to try this at some point (getting some leathers could make it expensive start to days like this)

Do they group riders of similar ability on separate sessions?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a blast! The most fun I've ever had. Wish I would have done this years ago when I was much younger. Yes, they group riders in Novice, Intermediate, and Expert. I was in the Novice class. All that means is you have limited track time. We are not grouped by engine size / bike class, so there are riders in Novice that are riding Panigales, BWM S1000RR, and all. Obviously I'm getting passed a lot from the bigger more powerful and capable sportbikes. The only rules is no inside passing and passing needs to be at least 6 feet minimum. First couple of passes are single file with no passing to get familiar with the track. Then they let you go after that.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Road Atlanta is one of my favorite tracks, though I haven't ridden it since many of the changes have been made. I miss Gravity Cavity, but the 10a-10b complex is still pretty hairy! And I definitely don't like the new T12....the original downhill sweeper was another favorite corner....and I never even noticed the wall under the old pits! (But then I'm not Miguel DuHamel or Steve Crevier, either!) I retired from racing back in 2000 after getting my first and only podium finish in my entire career in a 2-hour endurance there. Great memories of that track. I did race the WERA Grand National Finals there in 90 and 91...before many of the changes I refer to were made. Most memorable (beside the podium)? Colin Edwards lapping me as I was about to take the white flag in B Superbike. It's really discouraging to see the starter pull back the white flag and display the checkers as an RC30 goes under you! :D

Congrats on your track day! DO MORE! They're good for ya--mind, body and skillset! :) And if you need any help...suspension, lines, pretty much anything, be sure to find Huey from Marietta Motorsports. He works almost all the N2 trackdays, and there's nobody better to help you out!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is awesome! You are a legend! I also remember T12 sweeper before the change as a spectator of course. I knew it was a technical course from spectating and following WERA, AMA, MotoAmerica. But nothing like riding the track. T7 got me the most where I struggled to maintain my line, being in the right gear, and powering through the exit. I'm too old to race unless they have an over 40 club, but I will do more track days, but probably with a proper sportbike. Although I highly recommend all Scrambler owners to get on the track. It actually takes some nerve to be on a naked bike like the Scrambler with an 18 inch front tire powering through some curves. I'm riding on Pirelli Angel GTs and NOT the knobby OEM tires. Thanks for the tips WERA689!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Legend? Hardly. :D Fun-lover, yeah...I'll go for that!

T7 is tough...the slowest corner on the track, leading onto the fastest straight. Getting 7 wrong will be VERY costly on lap times. Have they paved over the concrete patch on the inside of the turn there? It was from about 1 foot off the gator teeth to about 3 feet, right at the apex, and where you'd start to roll it back on. That patch caught out a LOT of folks!

WERA used to run a "super seniors" class, but I don't know if they still do. I was 45 when I got that podium, and all the prouder of it for doing against all those kids! :D I started racing in 86, at age 29, mainly because there were no track days then! If you wanted to get on track, you HAD to go racing! Luckily, Little Talladega had just opened, so I didn't have to make my debut at a track as fast and intimidating as Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There's a first time for everything! You can always go faster next time.

Don't be afraid to lean into the bend. Just hug the kneepads, keep your ass on the seat and lean you upper body as much as you can. When you master this, move on to moving your legs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts