Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pilled the trigger and traded in my 2016 UE yesterday. On what? Some will love some will hate it. Perhaps the most white bread of adventure bikes a 2019 vStrom 650XT.

So you may ask why. Though I loved the cornering on the Ducati and it had the perfect look. At 68 years old I just got tired of the super aggressive fueling map at low RPMs. it's either on or its off which makes that great cornering a challenge at many times and starting from a full stop was always a challenge and surprise. Though after the 3 years I owned it I got pretty good at feathering the throttle and slipping the clutch to get a smooth start, my opinion is I shouldn't have to do that on a $12,000+ bike. I tried almost everything to get the throttle to smooth out but had no success. The one upgrade I did not make was a Throttle Tamer because I have heated grips and the Throttle Tamer is not compatible. My last ride I had a scare mid-corner and came back on the throttle and it was one of those times where the aggressive throttle response exerted itself and the bike started to stand up and head for the outside of the turn. I was able to save it without harm but I've got to say it scared me and could have been much worse. Last straw.

I have always thought this was a terrible SAFETY issue and have been concerned about it since I got the bike but I had convinced myself it was just learning the proper input response to the throttle issue. I have now gone the opposite direction and realized this abrupt throttle response is just not for me. Search the forums and you will see I'm not the only person that has had this issue. Now in all fairness it is still one hell of a great bike and truly hauls the coal! it corners great has unbelievable power and looks oh so cool but as I said at 68 I just can't deal with the aggressive fuel mapping and this is my issue I realize. I will say that Ducati has since changed the throttle tube to mimic the Throttle Tamer cam in what I assume is an effort to try to tame down the aggressive low RPM throttle action.

So onto the 2019 vStrom. I traded a vStrom in on the Scrambler UE so knew of it's characteristic's and had no hesitation to go back to it. I think one review I read said it all. Over the years the vStrom has become even more vStrom. Smooth acceleration from a dead stop all the way through to top gear. Great dashboard, ergonomics are right on for me, brakes are very adequate, suspension again adequate, great HP and torque. I could go on but you get the picture. A much better bike for a 68 YO. Hate to see the UE go but...….

·
Registered
788 Posts
Makes sense, the snappy throttle response is actually my favourite feature of the Scrambler. Nearly all other bikes I've ridden since felt very numb... As much praise as modern electronic throttles and their mappings get, I'm yet to be convinced. At speed, most are fine but on/off throttle, they all feel slow and inaccurate.

You can get the Scrambler to bark with a quick clutch in and blip. I think it's as much engine response as anything but anything without a cable just lacks the same aggression.

Totally get how it's not everyone's cup of tea though, sad to see another Scrambler owner go but enjoy the new Vee!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense, the snappy throttle response is actually my favourite feature of the Scrambler. Nearly all other bikes I've ridden since felt very numb... As much praise as modern electronic throttles and their mappings get, I'm yet to be convinced. At speed, most are fine but on/off throttle, they all feel slow and inaccurate.

You can get the Scrambler to bark with a quick clutch in and blip. I think it's as much engine response as anything but anything without a cable just lacks the same aggression.

Totally get how it's not everyone's cup of tea though, sad to see another Scrambler owner go but enjoy the new Vee!

Totally agree.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m 53 and can certainly appreciate what Bee is saying. The abruptness reminds me of modified 2 stroke dirt bikes and for me, is part of the appeal. However, I enjoy the kind of surprises he’s talking about a little less each year.

My hat is off to anyone who’s still riding at 68 years young! Hope you enjoy that new bike Bee!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts