Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Icon is 6 weeks old, has 750 miles and has had its 1st service. I park it in my locked basement and leave the key in the switch. This morning I rolled it out and when I turned it on the speedo ran up to 300 (as usual) but instead of counting back down to 0 as is normal, it displayed the word "PIN" in the lower left of the dash along with - - - - with the left - blinking where the odometer is normally displayed and the bike wouldn't start. (I have not yet set up a PIN). I tried turning the bike off and on a couple of times with the same result. I then rolled the bike about 20 feet so I could get my DR 650 out and then decided to take the key out and put it back in. After I did that and turned the bike on, every thing worked normally and the bike ran normally for a 30 mile ride and is still operating normally.

Anyone else experienced this?? I'm afraid the next time may not be so transient, and obviously I should enter a PIN.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've not had that happen, and I don't think I've ever heard of it happening to anyone else. I've never set up a PIN. Have you had a look in the owner's manual?

Sarah

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not had that happen, and I don't think I've ever heard of it happening to anyone else. I've never set up a PIN. Have you had a look in the owner's manual?

Sarah
Happened again this a.m. I've been through the whole om twice and have not seen any example of the screen I see.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wonder if its this bit from the manual. Perhaps you have a a "key malfunction". Page 97.

Entering PIN CODE function for overriding
purposes
In case of key acknowledgement system or key
malfunction
, the instrument panel allows the user to
enter his/her own PIN CODE to temporarily restore
motorcycle operation.
If upon key-on an Immobilizer ERROR occurs, the
instrument panel automatically activates in MENU 1
the possibility to enter the four-digit PIN CODE
previously memorised with the relevant function in
the Setting Menu, PIN page.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You and I have slightly different page number schemes. The text you quote is on p 106 in my manual, and I believe that some sort of key system malfunction is definitely the problem. The diagram that goes along with "Entering PIN CODE function..." is exactly what I see when the problem happens. What confused me was that I had never set up a PIN. I tried to set up a PIN today and discovered it was already set :-( So I called the dealer and he said they typically did set them before selling and gave me their algorithm. I haven't checked to see if it works though. The service mgr at the dealer said they might not be able to fix the problem until it failed hard. I suggested that the system my store a failure code in NVRAM and he said he didn't know.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Do you get the same issue if you don't leave the key in the bike overnight?

Can't be a common thing to do. I know it would void my insurance if I left the key in the ignition. Even if it was locked in my garage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you get the same issue if you don't leave the key in the bike overnight?

Can't be a common thing to do. I know it would void my insurance if I left the key in the ignition. Even if it was locked in my garage.
Yes. I took the key out last night and had the identical problem this morning. (And the same solution -- take key out and put it back in worked again, and after the 1st success it started normally all day again).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yes. I took the key out last night and had the identical problem this morning. (And the same solution -- take key out and put it back in worked again, and after the 1st success it started normally all day again).
How strange. Well you're still doing better than me. My ignition just decided to die one afternoon, with the steering lock on. Rendering the bike totally immobile. I still never got an explanation of what went wrong with it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How strange. Well you're still doing better than me. My ignition just decided to die one afternoon, with the steering lock on. Rendering the bike totally immobile. I still never got an explanation of what went wrong with it.
Oh brother.. this is starting to sound like (oil tight) 60's brit bikes :-( I've been there and done that but this is my 1st Ducati. I'd definitely pay EXTRA for a regular old style "dumb" key along with the little bit of extra insurance.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Most issues like this should be sorted on warranty but thankfully the Scrambler's ignition barrel doesn't cost to much to replace compared to some. It's £140 ish and an hours labour. Much cheaper than even a friends Kawasaki ER6, which was £550 for a replacement to be fitted.

Still, more than I should have paid and part of an ongoing dispute. That's another story though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh brother.. this is starting to sound like (oil tight) 60's brit bikes :-( I've been there and done that but this is my 1st Ducati.
Mike,
Have you tried the spare key, it could be an issue with the RFID in the key?
I thought about trying the spare key but was deterred by some comments in my owners manual.

In the Keys section on P 107 (page # may vary) it says: "Separate the keys and use only one of the two to ride the bike" And then on the next page it says: "Attention: Strong impacts could damage the electronic components inside the key. During the procedure always use the same key. Using different keys may prevent the system from acknowledging the code of the inserted key" So I figured trying the other key might be a "last resort" procedure.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Interestingly I got this same error earlier. And this is on a brand new ignition barrel, installed only a month or so back...

Fixed by just taking out the key and trying again but very worrying.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today it started up normally. One thing that may or may not be a factor is that I had (until last night) an Exxon "SpeedPass" dongle on the key ring. That is a small electronic device that you can point at a spot on the Exxon gasoline pump and not have to dig for credit card. I'd be surprised if that were really the problem because it had been on the key ring for over a month before the problem started... but who knows.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Today it started up normally. One thing that may or may not be a factor is that I had (until last night) an Exxon "SpeedPass" dongle on the key ring. That is a small electronic device that you can point at a spot on the Exxon gasoline pump and not have to dig for credit card. I'd be surprised if that were really the problem because it had been on the key ring for over a month before the problem started... but who knows.
Not sure how those work, but it should be interesting to see what happens without it, I guess there could be some built-up static etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure how those work, but it should be interesting to see what happens without it, I guess there could be some built-up static etc.
It's been a week now with SpeedPass off and not leaving the key in overnight and (knock wood) the problem has not recurred.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I now have 2,000 miles on the Icon with no repeat of the problem that occurred twice at about 700 miles. I'm still not sure if it was cured by me (a) not leaving the key in over night and/or (b) taking the Exxon Speed Pass dongle off the key ring or (c) a transient bug in the Icon's electronics.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been meaning to update this thread. The problem is definitely associated with the presence of the Exxon/Mobile "speed pass" on the key ring. I took it off for a couple of months and the problem didn't recur. Then I put it back on and shortly thereafter it happened again. Then I took it back off and the problem is gone. The "speed pass" is an RFID device that you can point at an Exxon gas pump to refuel without digging for a credit card. The scrambler key also has an RFID device and so I suspect ANY RFID device on the key ring could also cause the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the update. I came here to say I always leave my key in as well, and not had any problems at 2,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts