Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reposted from Scrambler Talk

I have a Desert Sled which I have had for a year now and done 12k km on. I am not super impressed with the performance it seems to lack the grunt of my previous bikes and at 4 to 5 k rpm there is a bit of hunting. I would like to tune it. I have read almost all there is on the net here and elsewhere and think I understand my options which are: 1 Booster Plug 2 Rapid Bike Evo 3 Rexxer User. I lean towards the Rexxer but it is really difficult to find out what the maps actually offer and certainly it seems to me I would have to try different maps. Now I find out I only get one map.....how do you guys find the right map to use? Is the Booster Plug or Rapid Bike really viable options? Ta for any advice

·
Registered
23 Posts
Booster plug isn't really a tuning tool. I use it just to enrich the air fuel ratio as I've got an after market arrow exhaust and was worried that I may cause some valve damage due to the exhaust making the already lean running character worse. The booster plug just fools the ECU into reading an ambient air temperature 20 degrees lower and enriches the mixture to compensate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had the Rexxer tune done a few weeks ago. I mailed the ECU, paid $300, and they mailed it back. To me, it was the easiest and quite cost effective. It probably depends how picky you are though and if you want to have the absolute best map for the exact bike. For me, the map installed based on the mods made a huge difference and I'm happy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed a dyno jet power commander this week. They had a few maps available for free down load. I will be dyno tuning soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had the Rexxer tune done a few weeks ago. I mailed the ECU, paid $300, and they mailed it back. To me, it was the easiest and quite cost effective. It probably depends how picky you are though and if you want to have the absolute best map for the exact bike. For me, the map installed based on the mods made a huge difference and I'm happy.
I am planning on doing the same thing. Is there a big change from stock?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JoCo
I understand that the first thing that happens when you take a bike into a Ducati shop is they plug into the ECU and automatically any updates and the standard map download writing all over the Rexxer map. Is this what happens? It is because of being warned about this I am thinking of getting the Rexxer user unit

·
Registered
21 Posts
JoCo

I understand that the first thing that happens when you take a bike into a Ducati shop is they plug into the ECU and automatically any updates and the standard map download writing all over the Rexxer map. Is this what happens? It is because of being warned about this I am thinking of getting the Rexxer user unit
JoCo

I have a 2018 Desert Sled with K&N air filter and LeoVince LV-10 shorty muffler and a SuperTrapp adaptor brazed to the muffler. I told Rexxer about my set-up and they remapped it for me. I'm very pleased with the exhaust note and the performance of the map. I get around 45mpg consistently. I've had my bike in the Ducati shop a couple of times, and just told them not to touch the fuel map and they didn't mess with my set-up. They have that option on their computer. That being said, if I burned a piston or a valve, Ducati would deny my claim.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. So far have heard nothing but good things about Rexxer although how they can get it right just on a description of mods beats me. I have decided to try the Booster Plug first. I am nervous of screwing up the warranty and although a Rexxer User woild allow me to reinstall the original map the changes are apparently logged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
JoCo

I spoke with the dealer and they said to just let them know that I have the Rexxer tune when my bike is in for service and their tech won't do the update on the ECU. Being a 2017, I was told there aren't really any new updates anymore, so I shouldn't be missing out on anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I only just got my Scrambler, like 1000kms ago (just under three weeks) so I'm not worried about attacking the ECU (yet).

I have a couple of other injected bikes i have retuned, my Diavel with a Tuneboy kit and my 103 Wideglide with a Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner.

Both allow me to directly access and modify the contents of the ECU without the use of piggy back style equipment like the Power Commander.
I chose the direct route for the simplicity and a perceived lack of issues which "may" (or may not) occur when introducing extra electrical components into fairly complex motorcycles.

I have achieved very pleasing results with both bikes, spent only reasonable sums and gained the satisfaction of performing the work myself.
To be upfront, I enjoy the "science project" aspect of ECU tuning as well as the practical improvement in riding the machine(s).

OK, getting back on topic...I spoke to Wayne McDonald at Tuneboy via email before buying the Scrambler and enquired whether they had options for the SCR 1100 on the horizon to which he replied that they currently have software to address the Scrambler's "Contitech" ECU using my current tuner hardware.

Here is a link to the "Contitech" section of Tuneboy's site.

Tuneboy Contitech (Ducati Scrambler & others).

I can confirm that although I have successfully used TB's hardware and software on my other Ducati I am in no way connected with the company.
I have merely shared this information to offer up another option to the original poster.

My dealer has long been aware that my Diavel has TB software mods and has never stated any problem with that nor have they reflashed my ECU when in their workshop.

I would be open with them again were the Scrambler to receive similar mods.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. So as a first step I fitted a Booster Plug which was really simple once I had found that the sensor connector is actually mounted on the sidewall of the air box rather than in the under tank loom as the instructional video shows. I have 250 km on the bike since and throttle response is better, more torque at 2000 to 4500 rpm and engine braking is less jerky. Not been on a motorway at constant cruising speed yet so cannot comment on whether the hunting at 4000 to 5000 rpm is still there. I think this is caused by closed loop so I am not expecting an improvement but I can hope!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts