Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's still summer here and the bike is still breaking in, but on longer trips where I have any kind of traffic, this engine really knows how to cook my leg. It's to the point where I want to do something about it, but am not sure what. I've seen some people on here mention using heat shield on the back of their guards and/or ceramic coating the pipes, but does anyone have details? I've got some exhaust wrap in the garage collecting dust I'm seriously thinking of putting on the bike, but wouldn't mind a few other options because people say this can create corrosion.

Down the road, I'd like to get the high exhaust and, given that version's location, would probably have heat issues there too. To peeps who've de-hotified your bikes, where did you get the heat shield? I can't seem to find anything even halfway decent in my automotive stores so may turn to ordering online for good stuff. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Ride faster. The wind will cool you down :)

Ps. I'm sure the high pipes, though they look fantastic, will fry your leg :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
My pipes are out being ceramic coated as we speak, hoping to have them back in a few days.
I'm Hoping it will cool things down, I agree when in heavy traffic you feel the heat, will let you know my thoughts once I have them back on the bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are a few solutions you can look at, none of which will eliminate the issue but each certainly helps a little:

1) heat reflective tape on back of right side exhaust guard: this one is simple. Just take off the guard by removing the 2 bolts and line-up some heat reflective material on the back of it using scissors, an x-acto knife or whatever your weapon of choice is

2) heat reflective tape under the seat: particularly near the front, many gentlemen have reported that this helps reduce a condition known as "nut roasting".

3) ceramic coating: you'd want to do this inside and out preferrably. Looks real clean but requires removal of the entire system which isn't practical for everyone

4) heat-wrap: don't believe the nay-sayers. This works, and contrary to some people's belief, won't disintegrate your exhaust pipes just because its a Ducati. I have had and know of many bikes that have gone 10+ yrs with no ill effects from this. Have a friend with a Diavel who did his to great results. The process on how to do it is well documented on Youtube.

5) wear kevlar denim: this is peehaps the most effective fix. Denim from companies like Reseurgence will greatly help reduce the heat you are feeling from the motor (compared to conventional denim or cotton, etc). They have the added benefit of protecting you in a crash too ;)

6) turn the bike off at stop lights: many new cars do this automatically to save fuel but it also has the plesant side effect of not creating more heat when the motor has no air flowing over it to cool down. Depends on your commute/riding environment but if you love somewhere where there are 1-2 minute stoplights, this definitely helps. It won't damage your starter unless you are doing it constantly and a new starter would be cheaper than the cumulative damage of running high temps on your motor anyway.

I'm using methods 1, 2, 5 and 6 and don't have any issues, even on the hottest days.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It seems no matter what I have owned over the years it always has been a heat generator in the area I live especially. If people here think the Scrambler is hot I invite you to ride a Kawasaki Concours 14 on a warm day in traffic. I used to save time on my commute when I was working by throwing a slab of ribs across the manifold under the fairing on my ride home.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ive used exhaust wrap for years no issues and agree with DJKham there's a lot of bollox about it out there. Last lot I used was black and I also found a HT wrap seal especially formulated to keep the wet off! Seemed to work fine was on a couple of years and I decided to take it off one of the pipes (2" straight through drag pipes) yes a bit of discolouration but no rust or issues. In fact it gave them a lower "note" than stock which was a bonus! It only looks rubbish if its fitted rubbish.
But easiest route again have to agree with DJK kevlar lined jeans cool thighs and safer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are a few solutions you can look at, none of which will eliminate the issue but each certainly helps a little:

1) heat reflective tape on back of right side exhaust guard: this one is simple. Just take off the guard by removing the 2 bolts and line-up some heat reflective material on the back of it using scissors, an x-acto knife or whatever your weapon of choice is

2) heat reflective tape under the seat: particularly near the front, many gentlemen have reported that this helps reduce a condition known as "nut roasting".

3) ceramic coating: you'd want to do this inside and out preferrably. Looks real clean but requires removal of the entire system which isn't practical for everyone

4) heat-wrap: don't believe the nay-sayers. This works, and contrary to some people's belief, won't disintegrate your exhaust pipes just because its a Ducati. I have had and know of many bikes that have gone 10+ yrs with no ill effects from this. Have a friend with a Diavel who did his to great results. The process on how to do it is well documented on Youtube.

5) wear kevlar denim: this is peehaps the most effective fix. Denim from companies like Reseurgence will greatly help reduce the heat you are feeling from the motor (compared to conventional denim or cotton, etc). They have the added benefit of protecting you in a crash too ;)

6) turn the bike off at stop lights: many new cars do this automatically to save fuel but it also has the plesant side effect of not creating more heat when the motor has no air flowing over it to cool down. Depends on your commute/riding environment but if you love somewhere where there are 1-2 minute stoplights, this definitely helps. It won't damage your starter unless you are doing it constantly and a new starter would be cheaper than the cumulative damage of running high temps on your motor anyway.

I'm using methods 1, 2, 5 and 6 and don't have any issues, even on the hottest days.
Hi, I just face the same problem. I had searched on internet, someone said installation of titanium header can reduce

Hi, I am facing the same problem. I had researched on internet, someone said installation of titanium header can eliminate the heat, isn’t?

2016 DUCATI SCRAMBLER ICON
69 Posts
Hi, I just face the same problem. I had searched on internet, someone said installation of titanium header can reduce

Hi, I am facing the same problem. I had researched on internet, someone said installation of titanium header can eliminate the heat, isn’t?
I'm having 'DEI titanium heat wrap' installed by my dealer. Bought & gave my dealer a 2" w by 50' roll; u can buy this DEI stuff at certain auto parts chain stores,,,,,shop for best price,,,,,got mine at O'reilly auto parts for $53. Also buy a 25 pack of stainless steel self locking cable ties from www.haborfreight.com for $7.99 or google search these on the net. Just make sure the DEI package says 'titanium', because if it doesn't it's fiberglass which u don't want,,,,,,,beware of counterfeit sellers, w fake pics, even if it says; sold and shipped by amazon. Buy your DEI brand titanium 2" x 50' roll from an auto parts store. CONCLUSION: If wrap is done right,,,,,watch the youtube videos, should reduce excessive exhaust pipe heat by 30-50%. Attached is a screen image of a good youtube video to watch,,,,,

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts