Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully no one was hurt, I wasn’t doing fast, the roads were only rough Tarmac, the bike wasn’t loaded, but suddenly the ‘tyre hugger’ snaps off from all the three anchor points and went flying to the side of the road!! I heard the sound and stopped to look and saw the corpse of my number plate, fallen flat and a snapped wire twitching at the swing arm. I inspected for damage and the swing arm bolt anchor point not looking good, at all. This can happen to a Ducati, really!! I am shocked and horrified. Need a resolve @ducati and no another one of those tacky ‘huggers’ not it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need advise - replace with tail tidy or same tyre hugger? (Tyre hugger literally translates to tyre shitter in Hindi btw)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Same issue? I am heart broken because I had solid faith in the brand and it’s bike but that’s shaken considerably after I was holding the [email protected]%#! tyre hugger in my hand on the highway! It snapped off like a toothpick. Very upset
Sound like the same issue. He wanted to play this as high up in the food chain as possible. He was rich and supper arrogant is all I remember.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sound like the same issue. He wanted to play this as high up in the food chain as possible. He was rich and supper arrogant is all I remember.
😆 the ‘bruv’ sure sounded pissed. Thankfully I am not pissed, but extremely disappointed. For all the fancy Italian mumbo jumbo hipster marketing budget, a tyre hugger is just lame. It’s ruined my swing arm too. I guess I’m gonna let it simmer and evaluate brand #Ducati against their own slogan - in lightness my strength. What does that even mean? I guess the pictures say enough.

·
Registered
95 Posts
😆 the ‘bruv’ sure sounded pissed. Thankfully I am not pissed, but extremely disappointed. For all the fancy Italian mumbo jumbo hipster marketing budget, a tyre hugger is just lame. It’s ruined my swing arm too. I guess I’m gonna let it simmer and evaluate brand #Ducati against their own slogan - in lightness my strength. What does that even mean? I guess the pictures say enough.
My fav thing was buying my scrambler and opening the user manual and seeing the huge red warnings everywhere that’s said to not ride the bike off-road in anyway. What the hell were they marketing it like that for?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were gunning it off road I’d totally understand and swallow my shoe. It was Tarmac, a bit rough and patchy which is a normal thing around these parts. I was slow and carefully avoiding the bumps best I could too. The way the ‘hugger’ snapped makes me wonder if the bike is a good decision to start with. It’s perhaps only a race track fluffy and Ducati should have made that clear to begin with. The material and finish of the damn hugger post inspection felt cheap and an afterthough. Sorry #ducati you have one less fan in this world now!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Real bummer! :( I have heard of this happening only the once before (mentioned above) but I think I'd be tempted to go the tail-tidy route. I did this ages ago, not because I though the scraper would drop off, more for aesthetics but either way it obviously gets around this possible issue. There's some rough-ish roads this way but generally it's not too bad and the tail-tidy I have is still going strong after 4 years or so – not that I can think of a reason it wouldn't.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear, @Red rocket 5 . BTW, which model is yours, the Icon? And which year?

I’ve been planning to install a tail tidy. Just wondering if I should move up the timetable...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear, @Red rocket 5 . BTW, which model is yours, the Icon? And which year?

I’ve been planning to install a tail tidy. Just wondering if I should move up the timetable...
This one is the 2015 model, icon. The snatchy throttle demon! These are also thigh cookers in cities closer to the equator :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any recommendations for a tail tidy off the shelf?
I mainly looked at Vance & Hines and Competition Werkes. Bought the latter, but haven’t installed yet, so can’t comment beyond that.

Worth researching and installing carefully, though, since there have been reports of tail tidies making contact with the rear tire and the tail tidies themselves snapping off. You’ve had enough of that already! o_O

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I mainly looked at Vance & Hines and Competition Werkes. Bought the latter, but haven’t installed yet, so can’t comment beyond that.

Worth researching and installing carefully, though, since there have been reports of tail tidies making contact with the rear tire and the tail tidies themselves snapping off. You’ve had enough of that already! o_O
O yes! I’ve observed some tail tidy angles scarily acute and if it’s a moulded piece then impossible to change the angle once fixed. Damn! This is getting on my nerve. hard to believe even Ducati has a pebble in the shoe!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any recommendations for a tail tidy off the shelf?
I've just replaced my standard Icon setup with a Ducati tail tidy (SKU# 97380211A) which I'm very happy with. I believe it's essentially similar to the arrangement on the Desert Sled? It certainly includes a more substantial subframe than any of the other tail tidies I've seen. That's of course assuming (a) you're happy to go with a Ducati part after your experience and (b) you can find one at below list price as they're expensive items (I got mine for a fraction of the cost via eBay).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Mine's a Rizoma and there's bags of room above the rear wheel. Seems pretty well made. Bit of a pain to fit but not hard and it's been on for a good few years without any issues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts