Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thankfully no one was hurt, I wasn’t doing fast, the roads were only rough Tarmac, the bike wasn’t loaded, but suddenly the ‘tyre hugger’ snaps off from all the three anchor points and went flying to the side of the road!! I heard the sound and stopped to look and saw the corpse of my number plate, fallen flat and a snapped wire twitching at the swing arm. I inspected for damage and the swing arm bolt anchor point not looking good, at all. This can happen to a Ducati, really!! I am shocked and horrified. Need a resolve @ducati and no another one of those tacky ‘huggers’ not it.
Sorry to hear about it and it's good no one was hurt. Another commenter mentioned the rear wheel "throw up" with a tail tidy. That happens with mine, too. Dust, rain water, dirt, etc do get tossed onto the fender, seat, and the rider's back. It a consequence of such small wheel coverage.

If you want another stock Ducati tire hugger and license plate bracket I have on that hasn't been used and I don't need.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an Evotech. First thing to go on in 2015 after the full Termi. Works and looks good.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry to hear about it and it's good no one was hurt. Another commenter mentioned the rear wheel "throw up" with a tail tidy. That happens with mine, too. Dust, rain water, dirt, etc do get tossed onto the fender, seat, and the rider's back. It a consequence of such small wheel coverage.

If you want another stock Ducati tire hugger and license plate bracket I have on that hasn't been used and I don't need.
Thanks @neil for the offer, I’m just not into the hugger anymore. the kind of riding I do I’d be hugging the wheels myself rather than get one of them ugly things back on again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi. I’ve read this entire thread and it does not state how it happened.
There are 4 major bolts holding the hugger to the rear swing arm.
Surely they just didn’t explode?
I can only assume something kicked up between the rear tyre and hugger which would rip it off like that.
I can’t see any other way?
How did it happen?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi. I’ve read this entire thread and it does not state how it happened.
There are 4 major bolts holding the hugger to the rear swing arm.
Surely they just didn’t explode?
I can only assume something kicked up between the rear tyre and hugger which would rip it off like that.
I can’t see any other way?
How did it happen?
Yes, you do sound like my service advisor! your doubt is valid and welcome and that is also the feeling thats left me flabbergasted when it happened. it’s anchored at three points - cannot just snap off like a toothpick! Like I said earlier, I’d have quietly eaten my shoe if there was any foul play I’d be responsible for - like use the hugger to fasten load, step on it, bash it with a rod, and so on... but nothing like that happened. Early Sunday morning, did a basic check loaded up and took off across 600kms through the western ghats here in India. I’ve been motorcycling since I was 24, I am 42 now, and over the years clocked shit loads of solo kilometres over various terrains, so no, I’m not exactly a novice on two wheels either.
Here is exactly what happened - on a particularly potholed section of a Tarmac road I decided to keep sitting but tread lightly so I can avoid as many bumps as possible. Suddenly, I heard a clank and a scrap and pulled over to inspect. As I was dismounting another local motorist pointed that my number plate fell off as he passed me by. I gave him the ‘this is a Ducati dude’ look (thankfully still with my visor down) and saw my plate at a distance laying by the side of the road. I ran up to it and was horrified to find the whole arm along with the plate. In between were a few pieces of the plate light unit I collected too. holding the broken hugger(which contrary to the slogan is bloody heavy) I walked back up to the bike to inspect and that is when I just sat down for 5 mins just soaking up the heartbreak! It appeared exactly like the three anchor points exploded and sent the damn thing flying. I couldn’t salvage any part of it, so I picked up the plate and tucked it behind the bag I’d strapped on and wished the hugger goodbye there on!
there was nothing that jammed and probed it off it’s anchor. My guess, studying the break points closely is that the outer anchor point along the chain stay may have cracked and given way with the vibration from the road(maybe). That may have stressed the inside point(where the wire stems) to come off and finally ripped the bolt off the last point. It’s bloody heartbreaking I can tell you that. Anyways, I was back on the bike post a brief mourning session and lucky nothing untoward happened to the bike, me and other motorists.
PS- try holding the hugger cantilevered (like it’s attached to the bike) with your hand and see how long you last. Trust me it’s oddly heavy, and damn ugly :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Material fatigue can do weird things?
well, that’s my best guess too! I know it’s something as inconsequential as a failed tyre hugger and not the engine block or better still the chassis that fell off but the pain is no less! specially when you shell out 5 times more for that Italian suave (here in India) and everyone from the sales exec in the showroom to the typical ‘Ducatista hard on Desmo testosteron’e feel about their superior brand association.
The lightness experience indeed :) don’t blame me, my trust has shaken a bit
I love Ducati, but everytime I fry my thigh,
I wonder how worthy is the high!
used to be a sky hugger before,
behold, my tyr]e hugger suckkor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi again, my assumption is that you may have kicked something up into the rear wheel and number plate hugger. Pot holes cant shear off the metal. From the pics it seems that the metal is twisted. There isnt a lot of space from rear wheel and hugger. This may have been something like a stick in a pot hole. Personally I like the design piece of the hugger. But now that I think about it, its not great for real off road, because you can do that. Probably why the Sled and Classic dont have them? Interesting...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi again, my assumption is that you may have kicked something up into the rear wheel and number plate hugger. Pot holes cant shear off the metal. From the pics it seems that the metal is twisted. There isnt a lot of space from rear wheel and hugger. This may have been something like a stick in a pot hole. Personally I like the design piece of the hugger. But now that I think about it, its not great for real off road, because you can do that. Probably why the Sled and Classic dont have them? Interesting...
View attachment 47286
I am positive there was nothing kicked up by the tyre. Besides the plate holder etc had no signs of any impact or abrasion to say otherwise, I did double check for exactly that. moreover that hugger arm piece isn’t metal!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts