Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been looking at them for a while.

After my 'flat tyre episode' I reckon to get one ASAP. Would like a depth gauge too.

Any recommendations would be mucho apprecio.

·
Registered
898 Posts
There is no difference in quality really there is no point if paying for something with a name brand just so you will (and you will) lose or break it. Go to the local hardware/auto accessory or online store and buy a couple of whatever they have at the best price or in the most attractive colour. You want one for the toolbox and home and one to carry on the bike. Keep in mind that tyre pressures should always be checked cold. They will appear too high if the tyres are hot and the manufacturers spec is based on cold inflation. Use the gauge on the bike before you go riding in the morning if you are not starting from home or to check the pressure from a service station or other filling station. They are notoriously unreliable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I typically have at least a couple. I have a nice one with a flexible hose and a round pressure gauge at the end that I keep at home. On the bike, I generally keep one of the cheap "pencil" type ones because it's smaller.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I recently bought a new front tyre (stuck with oem as I got 11,000kms out of the last one). And as I always do when I go to the tyre shop I take all three of my gauges in and ask them to check them against their equipment. I have a pen style gauge, round pressure and depth checker and another round one that attaches to my compressor. When I had my gauges last checked only one was spot on (the others were only out by a few pounds). Which one was the best?

The one I got for free when I got new tyres on my truck. The pen style gauge like the one in the picture below. The guys at the tyre shop were not surprised. They said, in their experience, these type hold their accuracy far longer than the round type and can handle more abuse too as they have fewer working parts. Once you know how it reads (might be a pound or two off straight from the shop) they rarely loose accuracy. So my suggestion is get a couple of this type. Usually they are cheaper too.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I bought a pancake compressor for 50 bucks, and check it weekly...

May not be very accurate for that money, at least I always use the same gauge every time so I know if they loose pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts