Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been round before ('cuse the pun) but think it's good to keep it up to date.
For road riding only.
I hear the Continental Road Attack lll is as good as it gets.What experience have you had with them or other makes?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I´m using Pirelli Angel GT´s. I liked the original tyres very much but they wear too quickly. By comparison the Angel´s steer quicker but don´t feel as planted in tight corners.That´s a trade off. Angels are very very stable on fast bends though.The rear lasted an extra 1000 miles, and bear in mind that one didn´t get the benefit of a new bike being run in. The front is still good and may make an extra 2000. With regards to dry grip both are fine.
Can´t comment on wet grip, because I live in Andalucia! In June I´m going over the pyrennees and into southern France so good chance of some showers there.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I agree with stavely the Angel's don't feel better on the corners than the mt60's which are great tyres but wear out too quick, my new continental attack 3's so far feel great but I've not put enough miles yet to fully comment or given them the full berries yet.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The OEM tyres were a compromise between looks and performance but wore out very quickly so last year I fitted Michelin PR3s which are the same as what's fitted to my monster 1100s.
Since fitting them I've only ridden about a 1000 miles and have to admit that the bikes feels a lot more planted but alas won't be putting many miles on this year due to health issue's.
There's not a lot to choose from due to the 18 inch front wheel.

Geoff.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OEM tyres were a compromise between looks and performance but wore out very quickly so last year I fitted Michelin PR3s which are the same as what's fitted to my monster 1100s.
Since fitting them I've only ridden about a 1000 miles and have to admit that the bikes feels a lot more planted but alas won't be putting many miles on this year due to health issue's.

Geoff.
Sorry you aren't well Geoff

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Geoff.
Hi Geoff,
Hope your well enough to stick the kettle on when we nip into desmo towers for a cuppa on Friday 14th june?
:eagerness:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know this has been round before ('cuse the pun) but think it's good to keep it up to date.
For road riding only.
I hear the Continental Road Attack lll is as good as it gets.What experience have you had with them or other makes?
Hi,
I bought my Scrambler with 5760km on the clock. The original rear tyre was illegal, the front not far short. Anyway, I fitted Angel GT's, and was very satisfied.
At just over 16000km a punctured rear tyre led to my replacing it with a dual compound Michelin Pilot, which is a superb wet weather tyre. I replaced my front Angel Gt shortly afterwards, since it was well worn, with another Michelin Pilot. I can't say anything about longevity, as yet, but I'm well pleased with the bike's handling on the new tyres and, hopefully, the harder central compound should help with wear.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
792 Posts
Would be very interested to hear about any more experiences with the Continental ContiRoadAttack 3, also heard they were very good and will probably try them next.
A bit pricey currently though, around £30-40 more for a set than other options.

So far I've used the MT60's, Metzler Z8 Interacts & Bridgestone T30.
Pretty much all that's available for the 18" wheel are sport-touring tyres.

Hard to compare as the Metzlers were on a pretty standard bike and the Bridgestones on one with Ohlins rear shock and narrower bars.
The front end feel from the Bridgestones feels nicer though, seems to be much more confidence inspiring.

Looked newly fitted when I bought the bike and 1500 miles later are wearing well. Don't appear too prone to squaring off after more motorway miles than I'd like. Not night an day compared to the Metzler Z8's, unlike going from MT60 > Z8's, which was a huge improvement.

The MT60's are good and seem to be a great all rounder but they must be very heavy or extra stiff or something. They make the ride much harsher and slow the steering down quite a lot. Tyres are always a compromise I suppose. MT60's look the part though!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good info.
Only picked my bike up two weeks ago - has 5k miles on it and rear tyre is squaring off.
I'll go with one of the above or usual suspects. For me, it will come down to the best deal I see at the time.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info.
Only picked my bike up two weeks ago - has 5k miles on it and rear tyre is squaring off.
I'll go with one of the above or usual suspects. For me, it will come down to the best deal I see at the time.
Seems an odd way to choose. Unless you can get one of the 'usual suspects' real cheap. In which case please let us know.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always shop around. Thankfully, there are about 4 tyres I really like and I have time so the hunt starts now!
I will feedback with anything decent I spot.
Just ordered a pair of Continental Road Attack 3 from my local guy. £308 fitted (ouch). Could have them for £284 about 50 miles away. Silly bunt?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ride in for the £284 and £308. He's a decent bloke and local. Happy to recommend him to anyone in Hastings area. 'The Motorcycle Man'.
Tbh, maybe both prices aren’t too bad for ride in ride out.
Plus for those without mechanical skills the brakes etc. get an inadvertent check over for free.
The one at £308 has maybe just found a happy medium price for all bikes as some bikes need exhausts removed or just plain awkward etc. etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So guys, had a Scrambler for 2 years as a high days and holidays bike (Vstrom 1000 for tours) and MT60 rears only lasting 3000 miles, need a new front at 6000 miles and going to change tyre. Road only so what should I go for ?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep. Got the recommendation from Armo a former member whom I respect. The Pirellis were good and these are better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts