Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s a picture of my 4200 mile rear tyre, the sides as always look great it’s the centre, what do you guys think
upload_2018-10-18_12-2-26.jpeg

·
Registered
733 Posts
No UK Legal limit

The legal limit of tyre tread depth in the UK for motorcycles over 50cc is 1mm across ¾ of the width of the tread pattern and with visible tread on the remaining ¼. For motorcycles up to 50cc the law requires that all the grooves of the original tread pattern must be clearly visible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree that you're good for 500 to 1000 miles more.

In terms of a mm thread limit, I think that's so hard to say. On my scrambler I'm typically riding back roads and so the wear is fairly even, but on my Multistrada where I do high levels of motorway riding, they tend to "square off" and so even though the actual tread depth is good, the transition from upright to lean is not smooth. Therefore I tend to change my tire on "squareness" not depth.
On my Diavel - heavy, powerful bike - I've run all the way down to the cords below the rubber. Not recommended.

Also, if you're just commuting or doing relatively local mileage, then changing tires is not such a big deal - you have plenty left. If you're about to embark on a 500 mile ride, then I would change those tires before leaving.

If you're riding in the wet a lot, that may change your thinking.

Would be more helpful to zoom out on the picture more to get an overall feeling on the entire tire.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that you're good for 500 to 1000 miles more.

In terms of a mm thread limit, I think that's so hard to say. On my scrambler I'm typically riding back roads and so the wear is fairly even, but on my Multistrada where I do high levels of motorway riding, they tend to "square off" and so even though the actual tread depth is good, the transition from upright to lean is not smooth. Therefore I tend to change my tire on "squareness" not depth.
On my Diavel - heavy, powerful bike - I've run all the way down to the cords below the rubber. Not recommended.

Also, if you're just commuting or doing relatively local mileage, then changing tires is not such a big deal - you have plenty left. If you're about to embark on a 500 mile ride, then I would change those tires before leaving.

If you're riding in the wet a lot, that may change your thinking.

Would be more helpful to zoom out on the picture more to get an overall feeling on the entire tire.
I

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Need to see it from the end of the bike, to tell how "square" the tire is.

Thread depth is not the be all and end all. If it's dry and you're riding in a straight line, then frankly it's not doing much.
Think Moto GP riders - no tread!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Agree.. but if you get pulled over and under 1mm or have an accident under 1mm.... your fu##ed.... even if its nothing to do with the tyre..

·
Registered
106 Posts
My original tyre lasted 2000 miles before the rear was toast. Fitted Angel GTs which have now done 5500 miles. Took the bike for it's 7500 mile service yesterday and the mechanic noticed the rear tyre was down to the cords in the centre. I had given it a good wash the day before and didn't notice anything wrong. I knew the tyre would need replacing soon but didn't think 60 miles of M6 would kill it. I didn't want to drive it home and they could not get a replacement until today. So I borrowed their Monster 797 demonstrator and had some fun with it yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I had the same experience with Angel GT's-- went from decent tread on the rear to nearly no tread in just a very few miles. Watch those tires closely as you put the miles on.

Sarah

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need to see it from the end of the bike, to tell how "square" the tire is.

Thread depth is not the be all and end all. If it's dry and you're riding in a straight line, then frankly it's not doing much.
Think Moto GP riders - no tread!
upload_2018-10-19_12-3-19.jpeg

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I had the same experience with Angel GT's-- went from decent tread on the rear to nearly no tread in just a very few miles. Watch those tires closely as you put the miles on.

Sarah
What would you recommend for road (and probably track) riding Sarah?
I love the Mt60's, and am hesitant about changing because I have never tried anything else. They have stuck like glue. In the Ardennes my chicken strips virtually disappeared.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I will be trying the Angel GT myself when I change the front and rear at around 4000 miles on my 1100... I like the MT60.. but for me and my riding 2000 miles on a rear works out as expensive...

Just got 2020 miles on this mornings ride and rear looks like I can get one more run...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What would you recommend for road (and probably track) riding Sarah?
I love the Mt60's, and am hesitant about changing because I have never tried anything else. They have stuck like glue. In the Ardennes my chicken strips virtually disappeared.
I'm not one to ask Phil, I'm certain I don't come near pushing the traction limits like some of you do. You might just stick with the MT60's, that sense of confidence as you enter a turn is worth a lot.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm not one to ask Phil, I'm certain I don't come near pushing the traction limits like some of you do. You might just stick with the MT60's, that sense of confidence as you enter a turn is worth a lot.

Sarah
I don't in the UK where you never know what is round the corner in terms of traffic or road surface.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts