Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been brought up by Dave (in Woodland) on the other forum but in the US owners manual (page 152) it talks about a connector to plug in the Ducati Battery Maintenance Charger for when the bike is not being ridden. So far it appears that the bikes in Europe have them and the US bikes do not, even though it is included in the US owners manual as being there. My opinion is that is was probably left off in the rush to get the "many months late" bike delivered. I also think that it was included in the base cost and should be installed at no cost. Has anybody else in the US checked to see if they have it installed or not?

Tomorrow, I am taking my bike in for the first service. They are also installing a new USB module as mine has never worked. Something else everyone should check. Laura, the service manager, is also going to tell me what Ducati's official response is for the missing battery maintenance connectors on the US bikes.

I will let everyone know what I find out.

P.S. My BMW came with an easy connector plug on the side of the bike and the battery charger came as part of the stuff they give you when you bought the bike. In all fairness, it cost more than the Scrambler.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So far it appears that the bikes in Europe have them and the US bikes do not, even though it is included in the US owners manual as being there.
My US bike has that connector in the position indicated in the manual. The manual says that you can use a special charger to charge the battery, but I think that it is also the diagnostics connector.

My dealer also installed a Battery Tender connector that you can access without removing the seat.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This has been brought up by Dave (in Woodland) on the other forum but in the US owners manual (page 152) it talks about a connector to plug in the Ducati Battery Maintenance Charger for when the bike is not being ridden. So far it appears that the bikes in Europe have them and the US bikes do not, even though it is included in the US owners manual as being there. My opinion is that is was probably left off in the rush to get the "many months late" bike delivered. I also think that it was included in the base cost and should be installed at no cost. Has anybody else in the US checked to see if they have it installed or not?

Tomorrow, I am taking my bike in for the first service. They are also installing a new USB module as mine has never worked. Something else everyone should check. Laura, the service manager, is also going to tell me what Ducati's official response is for the missing battery maintenance connectors on the US bikes.

I will let everyone know what I find out.

P.S. My BMW came with an easy connector plug on the side of the bike and the battery charger came as part of the stuff they give you when you bought the bike. In all fairness, it cost more than the Scrambler.

Here is a link to the thread on this forum. It seems pretty hit or miss.

OK who has the under seat battery maintenance plug and who does not Ducati Scrambler Forum

·
Registered
965 Posts
Can't wait to find out the answer, I was told by Ernie in sales that they cannot install battery tender leads on the Scrambler at all, yet I have seen others report they have no problem. Hope the first service goes well, thanks for spear heading our issue.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi Tony, what Optimate system do you use, I'm going to order something on Friday but don't know which one?
Jojo I use the Optimate 4 and also have the accessory socket that plugs into the lead that you attach to bike to power air compressor etc. Great bit of kit

·
Registered
541 Posts
my Scrambler (EU) has the oem plug, however since I have a spare BMW battery charger, I fit a plug directly to the battery.

in Italy, BMW's charger is not delivered by the bike, except against its cost Euro 90,00 ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My dealer installed the battery management connection. I did not have to ask for it. This is also why it is located in different positions. Mine is on left side, attached to the frame just a few inches lower than the seat. When I asked... he said it was a service they provide and of course it is a proprietary connection for the Ducati battery tender.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Looks like it may be something the dealers do? I'm in the UK and had a battery connection already fitted (fortunately I have an Optimate 4 charger :) )

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First deliveries were 4 months late in the US. My dealer told me they probably installed what they had and shipped the rest for the dealers to take care of. That is why some bikes in the US have them and some do not.

The dealer was very cool about it. As soon as I told her she checked and said no problem.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My UK bike don't have a charger lead as far as I can see. The only odd socket under the seat has four wires leading to it, and looks to be the diagnostic plug?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just fitted leads for my optimate 3 plenty of room under seat to run the lead and the plug sits niceley by the diagnostic plug. Took about 20 mins using the scrambler tools! ( Just cause I'd see if I could)
the diagnostic plug doubles for a charger socket if you check out the info on charging. The optimate 4 has an adapter for the purpose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This topic is all over the different forums.
The diagnostic plug is also the charging plug if you have a Ducati battery tender.
The Ducati battery tender also comes with an optimate plug which can be directly connected to the battery and can be plugged into the Ducati charger.
I installed the optimate plug because I use the diagnostic plug for my GiPro Gear Indicator.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Aren't some dealers shite! Mine didn't tell me about the plug on the handover, and even specifically told me you couldn't use the pin function if your key died like on other models. Funny enough a quick read of the book showed you could and I now have a pin code set!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Aren't some dealers shite! Mine didn't tell me about the plug on the handover, and even specifically told me you couldn't use the pin function if your key died like on other models. Funny enough a quick read of the book showed you could and I now have a pin code set!
Ouch! I got told something similar! At least not what I read either, I'll have to have another read, then if so I'll be having words as in same breath I was told about how loosing both keys will cost me thousands!!
And here's me in my old age starting to trust bloody dealers!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its so funny. My salesman patiently showed me how to unlock he seat and asked me to repeat the action for him. He also went slowly through the menu selections on the display and asked me to show him the functions after he demonstrated. Talked about how Ducati's like to be kept at 4000 rpm, and should be wormed up before riding off etc. I just wanted to say GET LOST, GIVE ME THE BIKE Already so I can go RIDING. :afro-33:

But it was nice to know all the stuff once I got home. Set my PIN codes which turned out to be useful. My son rode the FT and forgot to return the key. I used the spare but it would not start the bike until I entered the PIN code. Now its interesting that both keys work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts