1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sweet! Are you going to wrap it? Tune?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went with Rexxer, so far so good. Before I decided on the Arrow, I was really liking this look!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just looking in your thread where you shown interest in the high mount Termi. I loved that exhaust, but I hated how it uses the stock cat and muffler and just adds weight. I also like how Unit Garage routed the headers to be truly up and out of the way. I'm way excited to install and hear it. I'll be sure to update the thread with photos and a video once on the bike.

Glad to hear you're happy with the Rexxer - I'm looking into it now. Did you have to send your ECU in to a shop, or are you local to one?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea, once I learned it uses the cat..... No likey!

The one shown above is Termi's race line high mount. Just recently read about the Unit. Photos once its all together!

Sent the ECU to David at Virginia Beach, I'm from Canada. Very responsive, answers all questions. Would recommend!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Install photos

95FE4A8D-7BED-4FDF-BA14-27D2C38F7AA6.jpeg
5C3D0027-240F-46BC-B369-27893199BEDC.jpeg
417FCE51-43D4-497F-9ADB-B4594B45CFD2.jpeg
IMG_4052.JPG
IMG_4049.JPG

Getting along to the actual install:

Seat, side panel, portions of the fender removed or loosened, and the header pipes off. The original rear header output is re-used, as most aftermarket systems work.

IMG_4071.JPG

You'll need access to the o2 sensor, as it needs to be removed from this original bung location. Start by tracing the wire back to the connector, then unplug the connector, freeing the wire altogether. You can then unscrew the sensor from its factory location

IMG_4072.JPG

There's a rubber tie that the wire routes through which you'll need to undo in order to free the cable.

IMG_4074.JPG

Cable free and o2 sensor removed.

IMG_4075.JPG

Use the supplied bung plug to screw into the stock o2 sensor location.

IMG_4076.JPG

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
New header section slipped into place. This was pretty straight-forward. There was a little bit of wrestling to get the rear section to slide into the OEM rear output while also lining up the front with the header studs, but once it aligns, it's not difficult at all to slide into place. Give it some good pushes/tugs back and forth to ensure it seats well. As you begin tightening the front stud nuts, you'll see it shift even more into place.

IMG_4077.JPG

The front o2 sensor location pretty much housed in the same location as OEM. Tighten this sensor down to spec before routing the wire back up under the plastic paneling and plug back into its respective connector.

IMG_4079.JPG

A full side shot of the new header installed, with the rear o2 sensor in its new home. Use the supplied sensor extension wire to plug into the original sensor. Screw it into place in its new location, then route the extended wire back through the original routing. I tried to go up a little bit and route it along the frame rail to keep it out of the way.

IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG

Rear section slid nicely into place. I was a little worried about the difficulty of getting this to slide behind the frame and into the header, but it went surprisingly smooth. Unit Garage did an amazing job crafting the pipe routing. I also love the megaphone look of the pipe without the muffler on it yet.

IMG_4081.JPG

Full side shot with the muffler in place.

IMG_4085.JPG

Test fitting the entire system into place before buttoning the bike all back together. I left much of the fender and paneling loose at this point as I wasn't sure what order to tighten everything down in yet since you'll still need access to certain locations. The muffler adapter/hangar that mounts to the rear of the frame needs to be completely tightened down before bolting your rear fender and panels all back into place, otherwise you will not have access to torque the bolt down.

IMG_4087.JPG

Last before doing a once-over on all the bolts to ensure they're tight is to install the heatshield. 3 easy bolts that connect to locations already welded onto the header pipe. The kit came with entirely all hardware that was necessary, and I didn't need a thing. However I decided to do the SAI delete at the same time of install, so had to run over to the auto store and fetch some nipple plugs. I left the actual SAI servo in place on the bike, plugged-in; but disconnected all 3 hoses running to it and plugged the nipples at the other ends. The engine DEFINITELY seems happier on decel after doing this mod. I'd highly suggest it, as it truly only took a few minutes to knock-out.

IMG_4093.JPG

I promise I'll get a sound clip uploaded soon. The only one I have so far is when I FIRST started the bike up after install and it was still pretty quiet before the muffler went through some heat cycles and broke in. It now sounds GREAT! I'm incredibly happy with my purchase and definitely suggest these guys.

Lastly, from riding around Big Sur two weekends ago while in town for World SBK:

0CEF8D81-45B4-4691-9E6A-5F1C90503AFF.jpeg

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like it. :encouragement:

-Bob

Reactions: wolfpackpaul

·
Super Moderator
54 Posts
Finally, a high exhaust that doesn't look like an ill-fitting afterthought.

Can't see this on the unit garage website though. was it a special order?

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts