Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I try it over the Forum, maybe someone can help me with a frustrating Problem that at the moment not even my Dealer has a solution to it.

When i'm driving my Scrambler, it can happen, that the power just falls together and then comes again and that over a few times.
It started as a rare problem somtimes after a ride out the motor "jumped" (sry havent got the right word for it)
Now its a major problem and its not possible to ride out any more.
When that happens its also that the exhaust is shooting all the time.

The Light is also flickering when the problem is coming up.

We tried:
  • Changed the: ignition coil
  • Changed the: spark plugs

It might could be:
  • a Relay
  • Fuel Pump
  • Wiggle contact ignition lock
As well sometimes it sounds that only 1 cylinder is working when the Problem appears.

You`ll finde the Videos here:

20180729_180509 - Streamable
20180729_181536 - Streamable
20180729_100221 - Streamable
20180729_134328 - Streamable

If anyone got an idea i would be happy :)

Greetings (ands sry for my bad english) Douder

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hello
I try it over the Forum, maybe someone can help me with a frustrating Problem that at the moment not even my Dealer has a solution to it.

When i'm driving my Scrambler, it can happen, that the power just falls together and then comes again and that over a few times.
It started as a rare problem somtimes after a ride out the motor "jumped" (sry havent got the right word for it)
Now its a major problem and its not possible to ride out any more.
When that happens its also that the exhaust is shooting all the time.

The Light is also flickering when the problem is coming up.

We tried:
  • Changed the: ignition coil
  • Changed the: spark plugs

It might could be:
  • a Relay
  • Fuel Pump
  • Wiggle contact ignition lock
As well sometimes it sounds that only 1 cylinder is working when the Problem appears.

You`ll finde the Videos here:

20180729_180509 - Streamable
20180729_181536 - Streamable
20180729_100221 - Streamable
20180729_134328 - Streamable

If anyone got an idea i would be happy :)

Greetings (ands sry for my bad english) Douder
It sounds like a lean mixture, one cause of this could be a blocked breather in the fuel filler cap system. When it happens, stop and try to open the fuel cap. If it proves difficult to open and/or makes a air gushing noise (air rushing into the tank) then that could be your problem.
Preferably keep the engine running while you open the cap using the spare key, you might find an immediate improvement. Not to be confused with an improvement after the engine has stopped as the fuel pressure will have equalised anyway.
This problem is because fuel cannot flow out of the tank when air is prevented from getting in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe check the exhaust lambda sensors? My Scrambler lost power over 4000rpm as if it was running on one cylinder which kept cutting in and out, making it almost unrideable at speed. Replacing a faulty lambda sensor fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Maybe check the exhaust lambda sensors? My Scrambler lost power over 4000rpm as if it was running on one cylinder which kept cutting in and out, making it almost unrideable at speed. Replacing a faulty lambda sensor fixed the problem.
Was there a 'check engine ' lamp on the dash. A faulty or open circuit Lambda would normally throw up a fault code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your inputs :)
Guess i try first the tip from Hui.
If that does not work i gonna diskuss the problem with the lambda with my Garage.
I'll let you know if there is some news :)

But in the meantime, i dont mind any further inputs.

Thank you.
Greetings

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not that I know anything but after watching the videos, why are there so many flashing lights, dash and headlights? Also that erratic idle without any throttle input? Was there a ECU diagnostic check at the dealer? Could it be electrical?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like a lean mixture, one cause of this could be a blocked breather in the fuel filler cap system. When it happens, stop and try to open the fuel cap. If it proves difficult to open and/or makes a air gushing noise (air rushing into the tank) then that could be your problem.
Preferably keep the engine running while you open the cap using the spare key, you might find an immediate improvement. Not to be confused with an improvement after the engine has stopped as the fuel pressure will have equalised anyway.
This problem is because fuel cannot flow out of the tank when air is prevented from getting in.
That did not seem to be the problem.
Just started the motor, and the light flicker again, and then the motor turned off.
After a second try i opend de fuel cap, but it made no difference.

Not that I know anything but after watching the videos, why are there so many flashing lights, dash and headlights? Also that erratic idle without any throttle input? Was there a ECU diagnostic check at the dealer? Could it be electrical?
Flashing light = indicator, cause i was filming while standing on the road, befor its stoped again.
the Diagnostic dosent say there is something wrong :-(

·
Registered
733 Posts
The dash light or the headlight should not flicker

Not sure what the green dash light on the first video is - what does the symbol show?

The fact the headlight is also flashing says to me you have an earthing or battery or regulator problem

Suggest you start by cleaning and resecuring the batter terminals

If that does not fix it using a voltmeter check the voltage at standstill and the engine running and reving..

It should be like 12.9V engine off - 13V engine running - and 14V at full revs...

Let us know what you find... but your dealer should be able to track and fix this.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The dash light or the headlight should not flicker

If that does not fix it using a voltmeter check the voltage at standstill and the engine running and reving..

It should be like 12.9V engine off - 13V engine running - and 14V at full revs...
I don't think so.
Engine off = anywhere between 12v and 13v
Engine running = 14.2 -14.5
Revving the engine does not make it charge any more than it does at tick over, it's not and old dynamo fitted to these, or at least mine isn't.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If everything is correct and working OK - you are right..

My 1100 is 12.5V at start rest and 13.7 at idle and 13.9V at 6000 RPM

If the battery is faulty or a bad earth or a faulty regulator ... I would expect the voltage at tick over to be lower than revved... because the voltage is going somewhere - to charge - or heat the high resistance connection..

This is based on cars - rather than bikes - where you see this after a flat battery...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hallo :)
It's been a time now, and after some issues and not knowing what was worng i took the Scrambler out in autum and had a testride after it was at the workshop.
Same Problem after all, but with ONE difference !!! it showed a new mistake: Speed Potentiometer .... after changing this one it the scrambler is now working fine since 250 miles :chuncky:

The dealer recognised, that there were some issues with the old Monster, that caused the same problem.

I thought i let you know, if someone has some same issues ;-)

greetings

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hallo :)
It's been a time now, and after some issues and not knowing what was worng i took the Scrambler out in autum and had a testride after it was at the workshop.
Same Problem after all, but with ONE difference !!! it showed a new mistake: Speed Potentiometer .... after changing this one it the scrambler is now working fine since 250 miles :chuncky:

The dealer recognised, that there were some issues with the old Monster, that caused the same problem.

I thought i let you know, if someone has some same issues ;-)

greetings
Always good to share. Thankyou

·
Registered
791 Posts
Glad you got it sorted! Watched the videos you got and certainty seemed to be something throttle or engine management/sensor related to rev with no input like that!

I actually got a lot of the same symptoms (minus the bike revving on it's own) in France once.
The bike lost all power on a French motorway, felt like it was firing on only one cylinder. I could smell fuel and the exhaust made all kinds of weird noises. The engine light came on and I was seriously worried what was wrong.

Turned out to just be shit fuel. Filled the bike up with a fresh tank and all was well again.
Not sure if water had gotten into the fuel or what but glad it turned out to be so simple!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts