Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a problem servicing my motorcycles myself or taking them to the dealer for service if I chose to. My problem, that I didn't forsee, is the closest Ducati dealer is 100+ miles away from me.

I see Ducati made it so you would need an electronic reset after the service. What a PITA. I'm assuming it will have to be electronically reset after each service even after the warranty expires?

What does everyone else do? Dealer service only? That could get pretty expensive.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for people smarter than me to crack the ECU and release software to allow me to reset the service lights. I'll be changing my oil at home this week.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the oil and 3 filters and was going to do the change last Saturday. My understanding is the Desmo service clock is activated after the first service reset. Changing the oil on a Scrambler is child's play compared to doing it on a 990 KTM Adv

I hope somebody can crack it in the future. I would think this should already be available with as many Ducati as there are running around. Surely not ALL Ducati owner's take their bikes to the dealer every time. It's not only the cost with me it is the fact that the closest Authorized dealer is 100 miles away. I might have re thought my Icon purchase had I known this beforehand.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've never had a problem servicing my motorcycles myself or taking them to the dealer for service if I chose to. My problem, that I didn't forsee, is the closest Ducati dealer is 100+ miles away from me.

I see Ducati made it so you would need an electronic reset after the service. What a PITA. I'm assuming it will have to be electronically reset after each service even after the warranty expires?

What does everyone else do? Dealer service only? That could get pretty expensive.
My nearest dealer is 180odd miles away, only one in the country. Considering I have quite good workshop facilities and do work for a couple of bike shops it does grate a bit. Similar story for my KTMs.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Thats a nice ride out Excndez , ;) I prefer to let the dealer do my servicing That way, should there be any updates etc they get those done too,

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thats a nice ride out Excndez , ;) I prefer to let the dealer do my servicing That way, should there be any updates etc they get those done too,
Good point.
That's why I only half moan but at the same time I know it makes sense.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My nearest dealer is 180odd miles away, only one in the country. Considering I have quite good workshop facilities and do work for a couple of bike shops it does grate a bit. Similar story for my KTMs.
and I complained the other day that my local dealership is 25-30 miles from me...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I prefer that my dealer services my bikes as I'm cack handed. Plus they take full responsibility if there's a problem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The ECU in the Scrambler is new and harder to get into than older models, which is why nobody has officially figured it out yet. Some people seem to have figured out how to get to the service light reset, but haven't released any devices or software into the wild for the lesser mentally gifted :)

When I hit 600 miles I'm going to call my dealer and ask them if there are any updates to the software and ask how much it is to turn my light off, but I already bought a gallon of oil and an oil filter, so I'll just do that myself to (hopefully) save some money.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Isn't there a law in the USA that you can't void a warranty if a vehicle owner changes their own oil and documents it?
In the US they cannot void a warranty unless they can prove without a doubt that the owner was directly responsible for negligence which is extremely difficult. In the USA you also cannot specify a specific use this part only or you void the warranty to prevent a manufacturer fro monopolizing on their products.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought mine 2 weeks ago in OH. I was assured that you could do anything to the bike with the exception of "altering the engine from factory stock" and the 2 year Warranty would not be void. Oil changes probably don't fall under that... What else is part of the first service?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey all,
I wasn't worried that my warranty would be void if I did my own service. The issue was not being able to reset the service indicator.

I had the dealer 120 miles away service my bike. They even washed it. There was no updated map loaded and they didn't even know there may be an issue with the stock map. I have 4 crush washers and 2 filters for the next two changes that will be happening in the "home garage".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts