Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it now since 1 April and have only ridden twice, due to circumstances. But I really love it :D, it's the bike I have been waiting for! I have the most fantastic roads around me, the beautiful Shropshire countryside and Welsh mountains, and this bike is just perfect. It's a real little ripper - you wouldn't want to be doing miles on a motorway at high speeds but for the twisty A and B roads it's just perfect. It is easy to manage and ride, well balanced, and puts you in a comfortable upright position. You just have to be mindful of it's ability to bite due to it's sensitive throttle, and acceleration for overtakes etc is pretty powerful. At very slow speeds I am finding it a bit snatchy, but have heard that there may be a remap available for this.

People have commented on the suspension, I found it a bit harsh for my first ride then saw that the tyre pressures were well out from the recommended 2.5 bar (I do mine in psi which equates to 36 front and back with one rider). Mine were 31 and 41 respectively! So for the second ride with correct pressures it was more obliging.

Seat is okay but a tad hard, I need to have mine lowered anyway so may look into having the original one sculpted and possibly a gel insert put in.

Tyres seem grippy enough for my kind of riding, I haven't yet gone out in any substantial rain. I went through a ford a couple of times and it was great.

I have only found one false neutral so far, and that was due to my sloppy gear change. If you are positive then it doesn't miss a beat, I find the gear changes good. The very first time I took it out I was having trouble finding neutral but now have no such problems. It obviously isn't a proper trail bike but it does give you confidence on uneven and loose surfaces, I have gone over some dodgy stuff and haven't even thought twice whereas with my other bikes I would have been dithering and trying to avoid anything that wasn't solid road!

Can't comment on MPG yet, as I've yet to calculate it.

I have heard the Termi without baffles as the demo I rode was one such beast! Very lovely but also very loud and the stock exhaust will suffice for me (don't want to be scaring farm animals on my excursions :D).

I wasn't 100% sure of the width and height of the bars, but adjusted them slightly backwards for my second ride which had the effect of lowering them, and it put my arms into a much better position. I'll carry on with that for a while before deciding whether to change.

What else can I say?? I just love it :D:D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Great info! I'm looking forward to when us lowly people across the pond can receive theirs. Especially in my area where rain and bad weather seem to pass us by year round.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've had it now since 1 April and have only ridden twice, due to circumstances. But I really love it :D, it's the bike I have been waiting for! I have the most fantastic roads around me, the beautiful Shropshire countryside and Welsh mountains, and this bike is just perfect. It's a real little ripper - you wouldn't want to be doing miles on a motorway at high speeds but for the twisty A and B roads it's just perfect. It is easy to manage and ride, well balanced, and puts you in a comfortable upright position. You just have to be mindful of it's ability to bite due to it's sensitive throttle, and acceleration for overtakes etc is pretty powerful. At very slow speeds I am finding it a bit snatchy, but have heard that there may be a remap available for this.

People have commented on the suspension, I found it a bit harsh for my first ride then saw that the tyre pressures were well out from the recommended 2.5 bar (I do mine in psi which equates to 36 front and back with one rider). Mine were 31 and 41 respectively! So for the second ride with correct pressures it was more obliging.

Seat is okay but a tad hard, I need to have mine lowered anyway so may look into having the original one sculpted and possibly a gel insert put in.

Tyres seem grippy enough for my kind of riding, I haven't yet gone out in any substantial rain. I went through a ford a couple of times and it was great.

I have only found one false neutral so far, and that was due to my sloppy gear change. If you are positive then it doesn't miss a beat, I find the gear changes good. The very first time I took it out I was having trouble finding neutral but now have no such problems. It obviously isn't a proper trail bike but it does give you confidence on uneven and loose surfaces, I have gone over some dodgy stuff and haven't even thought twice whereas with my other bikes I would have been dithering and trying to avoid anything that wasn't solid road!

Can't comment on MPG yet, as I've yet to calculate it.

I have heard the Termi without baffles as the demo I rode was one such beast! Very lovely but also very loud and the stock exhaust will suffice for me (don't want to be scaring farm animals on my excursions :D).

I wasn't 100% sure of the width and height of the bars, but adjusted them slightly backwards for my second ride which had the effect of lowering them, and it put my arms into a much better position. I'll carry on with that for a while before deciding whether to change.

What else can I say?? I just love it :D:D
Glad you're enjoying your bike, I know the Yamaha MT09-07 have snatchy throttles. Yamaha have a re-map free of charge to help this but some who have had it done wanted it reverted back ? Anyway this particular up-date was un-reversible I'm sure, so it would be worth asking before getting it done just in-case ducati are as stupid
Other Ducati's nowadays have selectable modes and some modes use completely different fuelling maps for Urban or Rain, while others just soften the fly-by wire throttle control ie,, between Sport and Touring.
The Scrambler doesn't have secondary throttle butterflys so softening just the throttle probably won't be an option without messing with something else. There's nowt for nowt.

Sounds like a good all rounder though. Nice.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you're enjoying your bike, I know the Yamaha MT09-07 have snatchy throttles. Yamaha have a re-map free of charge to help this but some who have had it done wanted it reverted back ? Anyway this particular up-date was un-reversible I'm sure, so it would be worth asking before getting it done just in-case ducati are as stupid
Other Ducati's nowadays have selectable modes and some modes use completely different fuelling maps for Urban or Rain, while others just soften the fly-by wire throttle control ie,, between Sport and Touring.
The Scrambler doesn't have secondary throttle butterflys so softening just the throttle probably won't be an option without messing with something else. There's nowt for nowt.

Sounds like a good all rounder though. Nice.
Useful to know - why did people want it reverted back - does it affect performance? I'm sure I can get used to it, my Guzzi was very snatchy but it did have fly by wire throttle. I'll be happy to keep it as it is if anything is adversely affected .. Interesting to hear about the MT07, as it was top of my list before finding out about the Scrambler, I'm sooo glad I didn't take the plunge, I would have been pig sick if I'd seen the Scrambler after!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Useful to know - why did people want it reverted back - does it affect performance? I'm sure I can get used to it, my Guzzi was very snatchy but it did have fly by wire throttle. I'll be happy to keep it as it is if anything is adversely affected .. Interesting to hear about the MT07, as it was top of my list before finding out about the Scrambler, I'm sooo glad I didn't take the plunge, I would have been pig sick if I'd seen the Scrambler after!
I think after a while our minds will adapt to the throttle, then when we/you jump onto another bike it will feel strange and lazy.
I'm not all that old (old ish) and I can remember when power steering in cars started to take off here UK (not USA, you had it long before). It felt really weird and too sensitive, drivers complained of over reacting steering and spooked a lot of people. (back me up here Elvisto) I've just driven a classic car to home without power steering and I thought the tyres were dead flat. We would never go back now.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think after a while our minds will adapt to the throttle, then when we/you jump onto another bike it will feel strange and lazy.
I'm not all that old (old ish) and I can remember when power steering in cars started to take off here UK (not USA, you had it long before). It felt really weird and too sensitive, drivers complained of over reacting steering and spooked a lot of people. (back me up here Elvisto) I've just driven a classic car to home without power steering and I thought the tyres were dead flat. We would never go back now.
Ah yes - I well remember the days when power steering was a luxury - I had many a car without o_O. Maybe I will just get used to the throttle :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I would sooner it be snappy and positive which is why its quick off the line than WAIT FOR IT the powers coming soon. Its a mind set thing.
That's what I mean by 'you get nowt for nowt' if they mess with it too much it'll feel like there is an bungee cord tied to you shirt tail.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Funny thing is some monsterers who test them say

" It rides ok but the throttle is horrible. Like an on off switch! The dealer said you get used to it after a while, and I'm sure that's true, in the same way you might get used to piles
That apart it's a fun little ride. Engine is very eager and progress rapid. I'm sure someone with more talent could ride it around town on the rear wheel. It's not for me right now, maybe when 2nd hand values hit £2k I'd have one for a run around. Personally I wouldn't consider it a Monster alternative let alone a Panigale alternative"

he only rides a m600 though. Pinch of salt comes to mind. Oh and doesn't ride far or often and a townie lol

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I read some reviews and somebody sent them their throttle tube off an ST4 and the company matched it up to an existing one.
I wonder why manufacturers don't fit a version of this standard and save the bad press.

·
Registered
24 Posts
having been out 3 times now (due to weather) I have had no issues with throttle or false neutrals, but I have noticed the poor suspension on bumpy roads , perhaps I`ll check my tyre pressures tonight, I may have to have the front forks worked on

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Started a thread before seeing this one. I have sampled other recent Ducatis and the throttle on this Scrambler is the 'twitchiest'. At the moment, there seems to be just no amount that will allow you to move slowly, under control without plenty of clutch and dragging the rear brake. Easy if you want to accelerate briskly, but a tad annoying when making tight turns, especially from a standstill. Even adding a tiny turn of throttle in long bends is likely to make the bike lurch.
That is pretty much I find it - I went out today and put another 100 + miles on it, and just could not keep it smooth especially over bumpy/pot-holey roads (of which I found many!). Slow riding on decent road surfaces isn't too bad, but if I hit any kind of lump it transmits straight to the throttle!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
That is pretty much I find it - I went out today and put another 100 + miles on it, and just could not keep it smooth especially over bumpy/pot-holey roads (of which I found many!). Slow riding on decent road surfaces isn't too bad, but if I hit any kind of lump it transmits straight to the throttle!
Go full throttle, the twist grip is less likely to jerk about if jammed against the stop.
Seriously though, maybe the throttle tube with different gearing for the cable is the answer. It's a poor show if the bike needs modifying just to make it rideable.
I always modify my bikes just to be different, make this and that, showing off sometimes. What I don't like is spending money or especially my time fixing faults I feel should have been done at source.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go full throttle, the twist grip is less likely to jerk about if jammed against the stop.
Seriously though, maybe the throttle tube with different gearing for the cable is the answer. It's a poor show if the bike needs modifying just to make it rideable.
I always modify my bikes just to be different, make this and that, showing off sometimes. What I don't like is spending money or especially my time fixing faults I feel should have been done at source.
I agree, but am not technically minded to do anything myself. The bike is rideable, I have got used to the throttle in general but cannot control it well on uneven surfaces; I've even tried holding it very loosely so my hand doesn't unduly affect it but that doesn't work either :rolleyes: . The throttle tube does look interesting!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts