Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped the mirrors over to opposite ends? Got any pics? Are they useable, or do your arms get in the way?

·
Registered
16 Posts
& wadda ya think ?

I used to ride a Triumph around London 365 days a year just about and had no mirrors !!
Generally rely on a shoulder check and perphiral vision - but a discrete mirror would be good to see anybody sneaking up on you.

I found mirrors distracting - vibrate and come loose and twiddle around - get knocked etc...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn’t work with the stock mirrors. When inverted they are clear of the tank, but on full lock the mirrors hit knees, which knocks their alignment.

Ah well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Under bar mirrors (which are quite different from the accepted position for bar end mirrors) usually look pretty cool and most of the time you can get a fairly good field of view from them BUT the mirrors are no longer in your line of sight and depending on your handlebars and seating position may not even be in your peripheral vision. To look at the mirror means you have to consciously move your eyes away from the road which can be dangerous but it also means you may not be aware of traffic behind you. I would never say don’t do it all I would say is think it through and balance safety v looks then make your decision in your circumstances.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Under bar mirrors (which are quite different from the accepted position for bar end mirrors) usually look pretty cool and most of the time you can get a fairly good field of view from them BUT the mirrors are no longer in your line of sight and depending on your handlebars and seating position may not even be in your peripheral vision. To look at the mirror means you have to consciously move your eyes away from the road which can be dangerous but it also means you may not be aware of traffic behind you. I would never say don’t do it all I would say is think it through and balance safety v looks then make your decision in your circumstances.
Yup, after trying it, I couldn’t even give it a trial to see how useful they’d be.... it was just obvious as soon as fitted that they’d be dangerous.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Flipped mine right away. Work great for me. No passengers and I'm 5'6" so no danger of my knees interfering with them. View attachment 37307
Same here, I flipped mine and only put one on. 5'6" here as well, barely have legs so knees are never in the way. Works great. Also Turned up my own bronze bar end weights and made the one side incorporate the mirror. I also find that the bell Bullitt has great peripheral for over the shoulder checks when needed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually just ordered the Moto Gadget Glassless mirror to replace the stock. Convex design along with beautiful design should look really nice. Will more than likely leave it below the bar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I assume one simply takes them off, swaps them over to the other side and pulls them down to the bottom?

The bigger question is that is this socially acceptable or in fact de rigeur?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Flipped and inverted mine months ago. Takes some getting used to, yes it could be dangerous if you spend too much time in your mirrors and not enough tracking traffic in front (and to the side).

I'm 5'10" and have no knee knocking issues.

Now the original stock mirror position looks like big flying wings to me. I didn't realize how much the mirrors were originally in the field of view until I changed them. I won't be going back. Unless I crash. At which point I likely won't care, lol

Reactions: Andrey

·
Registered
209 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned mine is an Icon, didn't notice this was the Café Racer subforum, apologies.

But yeah, if I had a CR I'd flip it and reverse like Missy Elliot.

Reactions: Evotion

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned mine is an Icon, didn't notice this was the Café Racer subforum, apologies.

But yeah, if I had a CR I'd flip it and reverse like Missy Elliot.
Lovin' the black and red seat cowl. Very nice.

My Scrambler has become a little lighter recently and, on topic, my mate Bikke, the co-presenter borrowed the bike and the left mirror fell off! :D
SO much for mine trying to look good on the bar ends. I must have not tightened them correctly. Oops.

Looking for a new one now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too feel it is not a good idea to put the mirrors below the bars. I like the idea of them being more in my line of vision so I do not have to take my eyes off the road. Also with my long legs that would never work. My opinion so it is up to each person to decide. They do look cool down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts