Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm on the market for a Scrambler and I have been thinking about the Urban Motard; do you think this model could, with the right tires and suspension pre-load, perform off-road well?
I don't want to go Desert Sled as it is specific off-road, I'm looking for a model that allows me to do both road and light off-road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks like that thing is pretty heavily designed for the street having both 17" wheels upfront and back. Those are sport bike sizes. I'd be more apt to look at an icon or desert sled if I knew I wanted to hit some trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like that thing is pretty heavily designed for the street having both 17" wheels upfront and back. Those are sport bike sizes. I'd be more apt to look at an icon or desert sled if I knew I wanted to hit some trails.
Thank you for pointing out the wheels size difference, I didn’t know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The old urban enduro was a reg scrambler w 18”. The frame / engine suffered cracks and thus Ducati came out with the desert sled which has a reinforced swing arm mount. 19” front. Ride one and you will see it is a very capable on road machine. I can keep up with all my friends on roads. Perfectly happy canyon carving and blasting. The difference is you will be able to blast down grave roads at 70-80 mph with confidence

·
Registered
54 Posts
It could be done. I met someone here who takes an ordinary Scrambler Icon, with the OEM Pirellis, to one of the local OHV parks. But the suspension is road-oriented, and the stock springs may be a bit too stiff for anyone who wants to go off-road and finish the ride with working kidneys and all their fillings still in their teeth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just had a test ride a 2022 800 Urban Motard and I'm not going to buy one.

The bike has a tendency to break into a weave with the following conditions: Full throttle acceleration from 40mph to (ahem) a speed associated with motorway riding ;)
+ crossing centre-line or road ripples.

My test route was entirely country roads with occasional broken surface, no towns and no motorway. There does not appear to be any mention of front-end weave on this site nor any other.

Possibly caused by 17" front wheel? I'd love to try an Icon or Classic with 18" front.

·
Registered
2022 Urban Motard
1 Posts
I just finished a 1000+km ride on the Urban Motard.

I agree that the front end feels a bit light at times, but I didn't have any major issues with it at highway speed in excess of 80mph. The bike was pretty loaded down with luggage on the back which I am sure played a part in the light-feeling front end.

All in all it has been a great bike so far and is simply a ton of fun in the city

1 - 11 of 11 Posts