Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one friend of mine, living in Florida, is disappointed abt Scrambler could be produced at Thailand plant....

Is it confirmed that no "made in Italy" bikes are bound to USA?

as far as I've understood, thai plant should supply east markets and australia..... is it wrong?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah, I read multiple reviews that said the decision was made to send Italian bikes to the USA, so I was upbeat. Then they all started showing up from Thailand. I have not seen any proof that any Italian bikes are showing up in the USA. There's nothing wrong, reliability-wise with a Thai bike, but it kind of sucks when you thought you were getting one thing and they pull the ol switch-eroo. Much like most of the t-shirts, coffee mugs, and everything else associated with the 'lifestyle' they're trying to create it's just a lie with a pretty wrapper. Like Urban Outfitters selling mostly things made in China that look like domestic sourced items that cost more. Every dealer I've talked to KNEW they were coming from Thailand and gave me the same "They had to in order to keep the price SO cheap." (I don't really think the price IS that cheap)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Just remember guys, the Thailand bikes WILL BE, made, built manufactured , call it what you will, To stringent Ducati quality control procedures, Nothing less would be expected,

So I'm sure your fears are unfounded, ( well I do hope so )

·
Registered
219 Posts
On the Thai bikes, I read somewhere that the engines and frames are still made in Italy, but they are sent to Thailand for assembly with the other parts. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's not a big deal to me that my bike was assembled in Thailand. They definitely didn't spare any thread lock when they put it together.

I had a picture in my owner's manual of the "man" that put it together and his phone number in case I had any questions/issues. Here he is at work on my bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is a little disappointing to have a Ducati that is not made in Italy.

So you're parking your bike and this guy walks up to you and says "Ducati, that is one of those fancy Italian bikes, isn't it?" and you say "well most of them are but this model is made in Thailand :apologetic: "

Just kidding but could you imagine buying one of those "Made in India" Harley's? That is how they were able to hit their price point for the 500 and 750CC models for most of the world. The ones sold in USA were built here.

No surprises for me. When I placed my deposit in November, my dealer told me that all Scramblers coming into this country were to be made in Thailand. I am really enjoying the bike.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, I think someone already said this but
PHUKET! Just enjoy the bike.

Being American, I'd like to buy "American made" products. But that is pretty much impossible most of the time. Even if it says, "made in USA", it usually means "assembled in USA" from foreign parts/materials.

Sheeeese! God forbid, I could end up with a Harley or a Ford.
:biggrin-new:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd also love to buy American bikes, but Harley, Victory, Indian.. not my cup-o-tea. I like Sportsters alright, but for some reason they weigh 150 pounds more than they should. I know Honda and Triumph both make bikes in Thailand now. Honda has been forever. Figuring out the origin of every part or the materials that were used to make the part on any bike would be almost impossible any more. I told my dealer to keep my box when my bike shows up so I could cut a couple of posters from the SCRAMBLER logo on the box. I'll be throwing away the part that says Made in Thailand, haha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The only thing that bothers me about them being assembled in Thailand is that I was told to expect the opposite by a Ducati rep in Italy on 2 separate occasions. See News for USA Scrambler Orders Ducati Scrambler Forum I feel like that was pretty rotten. My conversations with the rep happened around the beginning of March, then again mid-March. My actual bike was manufactured at the beginning of February (in Thailand). Surely they knew at that point and could have been up front about it. I would have much preferred honesty rather than going out of your way to tell a big story about why they aren't being Made in Thailand, only to have them show up Made in Thailand.
Do I dislike the bike because it was assembled in Thailand? Of course not. I love the bike and have no regrets. I doubt there are any differences whatsoever besides the stickers.

True Story
Yesterday a delivery guy in his late 50s was delivering some supplies to my office and I noticed him admiring my Scrambler. I came out to chat with him about it. He oood and ahhhd over this and that. He asked about pricing and sounded super excited. He told me he was born in Italy, still has family there, and gets back every 10 years or so. He said "It has been a lifelong dream to own a beautiful Italian made motorcycle."
Took the wind right out of his sails when I told him why this wouldn't be the one for him.

·
Super Moderator
54 Posts
Having spent many years working in the manufacturing industry I can say without shadow of doubt that when we moved production lines offshore (using the same components, sourced from the same suppliers) the quality and reliability fell off. When we were there all the processes and procedures were strictly adhered to but as soon as we left there were shortcuts being taken. These lines were in Czech Republic, China, El Salvador and Mexico.

I too am less happy to know that a bike I buy here in Australia will be a Ducathai.

Just my two cents worth.

FatRob.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like that, Ducathai
Seriously, I would like the option of having all the parts shipped to me in boxes and build it myself. Somehow I don't think that will happen though.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
It's not worth beating yourselves up over this guys, The warranty will sort out any problems you have :rolleyes:

I read this the other day,

Pirelli to be acquired by Chinese giant !
Italy's Pirelli tyre company and its German subsidiary Metzler, are being bought out by the giant China National Chemical corp (ChemChina)
The worlds a smaller place these days, Isn't it,

·
Registered
219 Posts
I guess at least all of us in the USA will have the same origin of our bikes. My 2006 Triumph Speed Triple was made in the UK, but the same year you might also have gotten a bike from Thailand. I'd be mad paying the same price as the guy with the UK bike when mine came from Thailand. Kinda like getting a Buddy scooter at Vespa prices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, assembled in Thailand. No big deal — the only difference is what it says on the box when it shows up at the dealership. :)
Yeah, well tell that to all the Honda owners whose cars were made at the new plant in Mexico. Even if they haven't had a problem, I'll bet they're, at the least, a little nervous.

Quality control issues, part supply problems and a lack of available skilled labor is rampant. So much so, that I did not buy the redesigned FIT I was eyeing. In short, it can, but does not always....make a difference where the product is assembled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's not worth beating yourselves up over this guys, The warranty will sort out any problems you have :rolleyes:

I read this the other day,

Pirelli to be acquired by Chinese giant !
Italy's Pirelli tyre company and its German subsidiary Metzler, are being bought out by the giant China National Chemical corp (ChemChina)
The worlds a smaller place these days, Isn't it,
Yep, and that is why I will never buy another Pirelli or Metzler. Often we don't have an option and I have some Chinese shop equipment that is just fine but so long as I do have an option I will choose USA, North America/Mexico, Italy, UK, Germany, Japan, any other Euro source in that rough order.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts