Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to replace my usb power port with a connection to my GPS.
Does anyone have the part number for the connector on the USB unit ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Søren,

Greetings from Denmark!

I may get the purpose wrong but why would you want to remove the USB port? Why not just add the GPS charger and keep the USB?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Have a look at a site called Eastern Beaver. Jim Davis is a Canadian motorcyclist based in Japan and he supplies all sorts of connectors and electrical bits and bobs for motorcycles. If the part is not listed try emailing him the picture he can probably identify it and give you the info you need if he does not stock the correct part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Søren,

Greetings from Denmark!

I may get the purpose wrong but why would you want to remove the USB port? Why not just add the GPS charger and keep the USB?
I don't need the USB port anyway. Was trying not to cut the wires. If I could get a female like the one on the USB port, I could use the male part from the wiring harness to connect.
Where you from in Denmark Celziam, and do you have another suggestion for the GPS connection ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have a look at a site called Eastern Beaver. Jim Davis is a Canadian motorcyclist based in Japan and he supplies all sorts of connectors and electrical bits and bobs for motorcycles. If the part is not listed try emailing him the picture he can probably identify it and give you the info you need if he does not stock the correct part.
It would be to expensive to get connectors from Japan to Denmark but thanks for the info

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which model GPS?
It's a Garmin Zumo. Right now I connected it directly to the battery. Did the same on my Harley for years without any issues. But a nicer setup would be to connect it to something where power is only switched on with the ignition.
Thought the easiest and cleanest way would be to get a female connector like the one on the USB unit, put it on the GPS wire and then replace the USB female with the one on the GPS.

In that way I don't have to cut the wires on anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Søren,

I am in Greve. How about you?

If it’s a standard charging port you should be able to find one with a switch (to avoid battery drain), I would believe. An then run it directly to the battery, preferably with a fuse wired in. That’s how I did it, at least.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I
Hi Søren,

I am in Greve. How about you?

If it’s a standard charging port you should be able to find one with a switch (to avoid battery drain), I would believe. An then run it directly to the battery, preferably with a fuse wired in. That’s how I did it, at least.
I'm in Næstved. If you're on Facebook send me a message on Messenger ans let take a talk. My name and avatar is the same as here

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Søren,
Thanks, appreciated, but I don’t use FB.

Ok, if you don’t care about the USB anyway, I can see why you wanna go that way. But for what it’s worth, I have been running the other solution - directly to battery incl. a fuse - for years without a problem on other bikes. And now for USB on my brand new Scrambler which, to my surprise, didn’t have a USB installed from the factory (Icon Dark 2020).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Søren,
Thanks, appreciated, but I don’t use FB.

Ok, if you don’t care about the USB anyway, I can see why you wanna go that way. But for what it’s worth, I have been running the other solution - directly to battery incl. a fuse - for years without a problem on other bikes. And now for USB on my brand new Scrambler which, to my surprise, didn’t have a USB installed from the factory (Icon Dark 2020).
I always wondered why the Icon Dark is cheaper than the other two icon colors. Don't know if the 2020 models all have the USB removed. Mine is a 2019 model.
Same solution as you on the GPS and had the same solution on all my Harleys for years without problems.

And my Scrambler

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks nice. What fairing is that?

They’ve saved a bit here and there on the Dark. Mirrors and indicators (not LED) to mention what I remember. And USB, it seems :). The thinking is to make it as cheap a starting point for modifications as possible, Duc says. Ideal for my plans. I already switched mirrors, indicators, handlebars - and added some other bits and pieces. I plan on doing other mods, but over some time. Seat is next and maybe tank-panels, I think. I’ll snap a pic when in the garage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The fairing is from pyramid plastics in England. Sells for around 1200 dkr.
Don't want to make to many changes to my bike.
Have had customized bikes for 40 years an ecpensive hobby.
Looking forward,to some pictures,of your bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am confused I have a Tom Tom GPS and just plug the GPS into the USB port. It is the same cable I would use to connect my GPS to my computer or a charger. I just bought a longer USB cable about 6 feet and was fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am confused I have a Tom Tom GPS and just plug the GPS into the USB port. It is the same cable I would use to connect my GPS to my computer or a charger. I just bought a longer USB cable about 6 feet and was fine.
I believe the Garmin Zumo needs a 12v supply, I think the Tom Tom only needs a 5v .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts