Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been wanting to get the USB socket installed on my 2016 Scrambler Sixty2 as my phone is terrible in terms of battery, especially when using maps as well.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to install it yourself? As the extra $100+ to install it has been putting me off, especially on top of the $120 price tag already!

Let me know if you've installed the USB yourself, or whether you think it's better to just get the dealer to install it.

If this has been covered anywhere else please let me know.

Details:
Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 in Ocean Grey
WA, Australia

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is sweet. So I just plugs into the battery tender, then I can put my phone or GPS into it while riding? or whenever right? I like it . Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

Advice: plug it on the headlight, not directly on the battery. So it will work only when the engine is running and won't kill your battery... :)

Valentin

·
Registered
734 Posts
as Valentin wrote, not directly on the battery, better connected to a cable form the switch

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi,

Advice: plug it on the headlight, not directly on the battery. So it will work only when the engine is running and won't kill your battery... :)

Valentin
Sound advice. The DC to DC voltage convertors on many USB sockets draw power even without anything being connected to them. The Interweb is littered with "my battery went flat" posts from people who have installed USB sockets and then found out to their detriment what can happen. Personally I would fit something like a little Eastern Beaver switched circuit block (3 Circuit) and connect the USB socket to that. I have a reluctance to connect electrical things directly to the battery as they often become a problem later on for all sorts of reasons.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have that exact same usb charger. just be wary that after about a year of having it installed, the little tab that attaches the cover to the body started breaking off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi,

Valentin
anyone know how to do this? on my old bike i just ran it directly from battery with no issue. i dont want to do this with my sixty2 though.

the usb extension cord i have has an sae connector on the end. i assume i have to cut this off and splice it to the headlight power source or something like that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
This might be dim but what's wrong with using the USB connector under the seat and also plugging a double connector into it if you need two?
There is no USB connector included with the sixty2.

Also some prefer not to have constant (however small) trickle of power drain with something plugged directly to the battery at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
174 Posts
How did you connect it?
i havent on my sixty2. i had it installed on my previous bike, which was directly connected to the battery. the usb end was then 3M taped and ziptied to the side of the headlight bulb housing so it was hidden away. so far i cant find a suitable spot for the sixty2 though. not many places to hide things!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts