Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adore my Icon, looks great, easy to ride, much faster than people expect, sounds great and is surprisingly good on the track.

The bike performs best when on the road whilst on A and B roads that have some twisties etc.
It's also great for riding through towns and villages in the countryside.

Over the past 3 days I've used the bike for longer rides including fast dual carriageways and motorways where we were doing half decent speeds in keeping with the flow of traffic.
Now this is where for me, the Scrambler struggles.
I know all naked bikes suffer from wind buffering but it seems the Scrambler really suffers.
Not only was I getting buffered hard but the bike was getting hit hard too, often wobbling and generally moving around lots.
It was incredibly hard to maintain those speeds (and I'm not on about stupid speeds either nor stupid riding).
It made for a unpleasant ride and aggravated my lower back problem.
I spoke to my mate who was also on the ride who rides a 1200 Monster and whilst he was getting buffered by the wind the Monster wasn't moving around and was stable.

I enjoy riding to places that are 1hr - 1.5hrs away and I've only just recently started to do that on the Scrambler.

Does anyone have any comments, ideas, personal experiences with this situation?
I'm wondering if I need to either get some form of windshield (I think as a rule they make the Scrambler look silly) or is it time to change bikes?? :(

Many thanks,
Duncan.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you want to ride above 80 mph for long distances the scrambler is not perfect

Adding a screen helps

But a multi or a super sport are better

Scrambler is light so susceptible to wind direction change

Short wheel base also is not good for high speed long runs

A screen will probably help to 85 90 for long periods as you know 3 figures is possible but not for sustained distance

1100 is a bit better 800 but still not a Multi or SS

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Also depends on which Scrambler. The DS, FTP and Mach 2.0 have lower bars.

Whether you wear a leather or nylon jacket (wind tends to catch your arms better with a nylon jacket), how tight you grip the bars.

If you grip your tank with your legs or not.

And, yes, a small screen can work wonders.

I can hold a steady 90 mph without any major discomfort or squirrelyness on a DS (admit, longer wheelbase)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to ride above 80 mph for long distances the scrambler is not perfect

Adding a screen helps

But a multi or a super sport are better

Scrambler is light so susceptible to wind direction change

Short wheel base also is not good for high speed long runs

A screen will probably help to 85 90 for long periods as you know 3 figures is possible but not for sustained distance

1100 is a bit better 800 but still not a Multi or SS

Great reply.

If I had more money, I would keep the Scrambler as a project bike customising it and making it lighter for track days and local rides buying something like the multi for longer journeys on the road.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also depends on which Scrambler. The DS, FTP and Mach 2.0 have lower bars.

Whether you wear a leather or nylon jacket (wind tends to catch your arms better with a nylon jacket), how tight you grip the bars.

If you grip your tank with your legs or not.

And, yes, a small screen can work wonders.

I can hold a steady 90 mph without any major discomfort or squirrelyness on a DS (admit, longer wheelbase)

I have the lower bars on my Icon from the Full Throttle etc, I played around with my position on the seat, how upright or leant forward I was, different angles with my elbows, different grip positions and strength holding the bars, I also gripped the tank with my knees more, pushed through the footpegs more too.

Anything about 75mph was a nightmare.
On one of the over takes I had a decent speed wobble too which I've become used to as the front end goes very light.

As I said in my other reply, if I had more money I would have two bikes.
Not sure where to go with it, maybe try a windshield??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Try a windshield. Something minimal like the World Walk or Dart will make more difference than you'd imagine.

Sarah

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try a windshield. Something minimal like the World Walk or Dart will make more difference than you'd imagine.

Sarah
Thanks Sarah, it's definitely worth a go!

I'll go do some research on windshields.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would start by checking your rear suspension sag

I Guess the rear may be too low so your not loading front enough if it feels light to that extent

I regularly got in the triple figures on my 800 icon for short distance 2 to 3 miles and nothing like that

Then. Dart or rizoma screen

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with the rear sag, check it based on your weight and adjust. Also agree that the Scrambler is not the ideal bike for high speeds and long distances but that's not what we bought them for right?

Windscreen will help a lot, wish I could put one on my Italia but alas, there isn't one, unless I remove the cowl which would take away from the bike or cut fairly large notches into each side of the cowl so I can fit a Rizoma with brackets.

Have you tried riding low with your body close to the tank and hugging the tank with your knees, balls of feet on foot pegs? This position allows me to relax my arms and hands almost completely without having to fight the wind with my body.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Any windshield will put a little down force on the front as well as keep yourself from being like a sail or parachute. My Icon (with windshield) has been rock solid in all conditions (95mph highest gps recorded: my world is below 100). The only wiggle I've ever gotten was because I forget to gage a new front tire (after setting the bead): pressure was like 45psi.

https://www.scramblerforum.com/threads/why-i-put-a-windshield-on-the-scrambler.24033/

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys.

I always had intentions of riding the Scrambler for journeys of 1 - 1.5hrs but obviously not for touring on.

I have the preload on the hardest setting, maybe I'll try one notch softer.

I tried sitting much more forward hugging the tank with my knees with lots of weight through the balls of my feet too. Helped a little but guess my back had fatigued lots by then.

I have the tyre pressures set to 35psi front and back at the moment. (Tyres are wearing out in the middle so trying to get a bit more life out of them!).

I often get a head shake when changing from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th giving it full throttle. (Clutchless too.. even worse with the clutch!).

For now a windscreen will be my best route to try.

Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Riding for a few hours should be alright provided you take short breaks. Definitely put that pre-load to notch 2 if not 3 depending on your weight. I believe factory setting is 2.

Rizoma or Dart Fly will be your answer for the most part.

Also, how is your gear? Baggy or Sport Fit?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Riding for a few hours should be alright provided you take short breaks. Definitely put that pre-load to notch 2 if not 3 depending on your weight. I believe factory setting is 2.

Rizoma or Dart Fly will be your answer for the most part.

Also, how is your gear? Baggy or Sport Fit?

I'll take the preload down 2 and see how it feels.

I wear slim fit Kevlar jeans and leather jacket.

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
I never got any head shake or similar - even at 110 mph... so something seems off somewhere..

Mine did have upgraded suspension .. but also with the standard I had no issues on handling.. other than harsh ride..

·
Registered
734 Posts
agree with many of the above comments, just add a windscreen and your will be more stable at higher speed.
For the last 2 weeks, have been riding my bike at constant speed of 80 mph ( following my friend with the Hypermotard SP 2 weeks ago and last sunday behing a BMW GS 1200 ) , and will tell you bike was completely stable. Btw, look for road conditions!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bike is on the whole stable through twisty roads but it's on the straights when I'm really cranking on the throttle hard that it can get a bit light on the front and wobble.

The only thing that might be affecting it is that I've a RexXer remap along with no o2 sensors, exhaust, air filter etc etc and I know my bike goes very well.
I'm not sure what remap I have but all Sebastian at RexXer said was that it is the best map they have for power.
Maybe the torque delivery is slightly different?

Anyway, I'll get a windshield and see what happens.

Many thanks for all your replies.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If the back being too low is exacerbating the problem you could try dropping the front to 5 or 10mm.
Having said that, and sensible of the other comments, the Scrambler was not made for touring. I know many go touring on it, I am soon to do a four day Ardennes Whiz (my first tour).
It depends on your priorities and what you can put up with on the downside.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the back being too low is exacerbating the problem you could try dropping the front to 5 or 10mm.
Having said that, and sensible of the other comments, the Scrambler was not made for touring. I know many go touring on it, I am soon to do a four day Ardennes Whiz (my first tour).
It depends on your priorities and what you can put up with on the downside.
I reckon dropping the forks would make the speed wobbles worse.
I've adjusted the rear shock down one preload and I'll try the next setting after.

How are you preparing your Scrambler for your tour?

Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
The bike is on the whole stable through twisty roads but it's on the straights when I'm really cranking on the throttle hard that it can get a bit light on the front and wobble.

The only thing that might be affecting it is that I've a RexXer remap along with no o2 sensors, exhaust, air filter etc etc and I know my bike goes very well.
I'm not sure what remap I have but all Sebastian at RexXer said was that it is the best map they have for power.
Maybe the torque delivery is slightly different?

Anyway, I'll get a windshield and see what happens.

Many thanks for all your replies.
my bike also have Rexxer map, SC Project complete exhaust & MWR air filter.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts