Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Used bike prices. what are they thinkin?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  pastorwug 
#1 ·
Not trying to pick a fight but I'm curious and have a question because I see this all the time with people selling bikes(RVs, boats, cars & snowmobiles too). I saw an 2016 Urban Enduro for sale for $12,500. It has a bunch of typical Scrambler accessories. The guys says it's had it 7500 mile service so it looks like this bike has at least 7500 miles and by the pictures posted, has been used off road which beats the piss out of a bike. I know 1st hand as I've personally thrashed 8 motocross & enduro bikes. I just bought a brand new 2016 classic in Dec 16 for $10,000.00 including everything but sales tax and registration & plates. So my question is this, why do people think someone is gonna pay 2 grand over the list base price of $10,495.00 for a used bike. Why would they think someone would even pay 10K for a used bike when a new 2016 Icon has a list price of $8895. What about depreciation, wear & tear, and no warranty. If you traded this bike in, a dealer could give a rats ass about the accessories when valuing almost any bike. NADA (dealer price guide) has low retail 6500 to average retail 8500. Of course I'm not accounting for any magical qualities that might make it extra special or like if it was Jimi Hendrix's bike. I'd like to hear other people's opinions.
2016 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro Price

#3 · (Edited)
There is a silly trend these days that if one blacks out their bike and puts on off road knobbies, regardless on which bike, it will sell and for far more than originally. I have seen some smarties do it with scramblers, a ktm duke 390, and one particularly sorry MV Augusta Brutale 800. There are some left overs at dealers under deep discounts and on the used market they want more than the original value...madness. Farkles and bits do not add to the value of the bike.

Or, they do not want to sell and are often pressured to put their toys for sale by their spouse or significant other. Frankly if my SO did that or attempted, that SO would disappear.

#4 ·
ahhhhh.....As I suspected.......This phenomena is happening not just in the USA, but in faraway lands as well. I would agree that some don't want to sell but I think there are also a whole bunch that live in their own personal fantasy-land. Which brings another question to mind, what other bizarro things do they believe in fantasy-land......the flat earth society, alien abductions, cold weather causes colds, paranormal societies, trickle down economics, HD makes the most powerful bikes, think sending women pictures of their junk will impress them, zombie apocalypse could happen, and 1 of my personal favorites....riding without a helmet is actually safer. Come on, I know you've all encountered 'em and I'm hoping you'll share it here. And just maybe, someone that actually lives in fantasy-land will comment which would be just a c*** hair less fun than riding our Scramblers.Unburden yourselves from years of exasperation and astonishment.

#7 ·
My friend just bought a 2015 "used" stock red icon at a triumph dealership for a 7300. I say "used" because it had 161 miles. Private party would be cheaper but they took her old Triumph Daytona 955i as trade. Winning all around. Now she is the happy recipient of my crash bars and my skid plate.

#9 ·
Having extra OEM parts and service done does not mean you will get more money over sticker price. Even since the Scrambler is not even that old and rare. I would buy it new and knowing your the first person to own it.

#10 ·
I have seen the 2016 Italia Independents going for more than original list price, some in the stratosphere. As a limited production Scrambler it may continue to gain some ground but not $10K as some are seeking now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.