Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Desert Sled which is just under a year old. I am about to drive back to Spain and when I get there I will hit the magic 12k mark. So according to almost everyone I then need a valve check...everyone that is except for this Ducati service chart which quite clearly shows the valve check at double that interval. Anybody any input on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Valve check is every 12,000km

I didn't download the documents but I'm assuming this is your question?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes, the document I posted, from Ducati, says valve check at 24,000 km
The first one is at 12,000km, unless they changed it for newer models? If you're riding a 2019+ maybe they changed it to 24k as the first?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first one is at 12,000km, unless they changed it for newer models? If you're riding a 2019+ maybe they changed it to 24k as the first?
Well not according to the UK Ducati folks I have spoken to. I'm Spain they say it is as a result of reviewing data from the services. So, Ducati say intervals doubled (see pdf attached) but warranty guy in Spain says you must have valve check done. Clearly not speaking with one voice.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well not according to the UK Ducati folks I have spoken to. I'm Spain they say it is as a result of reviewing data from the services. So, Ducati say intervals doubled (see pdf attached) but warranty guy in Spain says you must have valve check done. Clearly not speaking with one voice.
I don't understand what you're asking sorry. The pdf's clearly say 12,000 and 24,000. What's the confusion? Follow that and not what a mechanic says.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't understand what you're asking sorry. The pdf's clearly say 12,000 and 24,000. What's the confusion? Follow that and not what a mechanic says.
Not the way I read it; 15000 miles (24,000 km) for valve check and timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2017 sled and the owners manual shows valve check required every 12,000km/7500m. The pdf you posted clearly shows valve check at 24,000km. Let's hope the pdf has superceded the manual, that'll save us all money but I bet it'll be difficult to get a definitive answer from a dealer who stands to lose work over it. I wouldn't like to have to make a warranty claim if the 12,000km valve check hadn't been done. My bikes now out of warranty but due it's 12,000km service so I'll have to do a bit more research.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maintenance
More mileage, less service, to enjoy your Ducati to the fullest.
We extended the intervals for all services, reaching 30,000 km for Desmo Service, and every day we train our Ducati Service staff for a better and better standard
Service campaign
Riding pleasure always at its best: find out about the recall campaigns plans for your motorbike.CHECK YOUR BIKE

The enjoyment of riding, reliability and maximum containment of maintenance costs are among the main criteria that drive every engineering project in Ducati. We have spread out services to intervals of 24,000 km (15,000 miles) and on some models the main Desmo Service is not necessary until 30,000 km (18,000 miles). Even the simplest services, the Oil Service, have been spaced out to 12,000 km (7,500 miles) or 15,000 km (9,000 miles), values that represent an absolute reference for high performance engines.

Furthermore, Ducati continuously invests in the technical training of its dealership staff: only through the Official Ducati Service network will you find the skills and tools needed to carry out all those fundamental procedures that will ensure your Ducati continues to perform at the highest level.

Remember that the documentation supplied with your bike contains a lot of useful information: from the specific colour code, to advice on winter care, or details about key maintenance.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Maintenance
More mileage, less service, to enjoy your Ducati to the fullest.
We extended the intervals for all services, reaching 30,000 km for Desmo Service, and every day we train our Ducati Service staff for a better and better standard
Service campaign
Riding pleasure always at its best: find out about the recall campaigns plans for your motorbike.CHECK YOUR BIKE

The enjoyment of riding, reliability and maximum containment of maintenance costs are among the main criteria that drive every engineering project in Ducati. We have spread out services to intervals of 24,000 km (15,000 miles) and on some models the main Desmo Service is not necessary until 30,000 km (18,000 miles). Even the simplest services, the Oil Service, have been spaced out to 12,000 km (7,500 miles) or 15,000 km (9,000 miles), values that represent an absolute reference for high performance engines.

Furthermore, Ducati continuously invests in the technical training of its dealership staff: only through the Official Ducati Service network will you find the skills and tools needed to carry out all those fundamental procedures that will ensure your Ducati continues to perform at the highest level.

Remember that the documentation supplied with your bike contains a lot of useful information: from the specific colour code, to advice on winter care, or details about key maintenance.

Just so I understand, the first Desmo for all models is now 24,000km and not 12,000km? If this is the case, what if I had mine at 12,000km, do I do one at 24k or 36k? Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so now we are all on the same page. Sorry if I did not explain it very well at the start. I raised this before and nobody seemed to be interested which is strange because a Ducati mech's time is really expensive. I knew about the press release too which for me reinforced the poster. So what we have is the Ducati service poster on the one hand, a refusal by Ducati Italy to give me an answer on the other, an email from the brand manager in Spain who said he was unaware of any change in service intervals and ditto from the Tech's I spoke to in UK. So my question is simple, 'Have the service intervals for valve checks and timing belt changes changed or is the Ducati Service poster just a mistake?'

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ok, so now we are all on the same page. Sorry if I did not explain it very well at the start. I raised this before and nobody seemed to be interested which is strange because a Ducati mech's time is really expensive. I knew about the press release too which for me reinforced the poster. So what we have is the Ducati service poster on the one hand, a refusal by Ducati Italy to give me an answer on the other, an email from the brand manager in Spain who said he was unaware of any change in service intervals and ditto from the Tech's I spoke to in UK. So my question is simple, 'Have the service intervals for valve checks and timing belt changes changed or is the Ducati Service poster just a mistake?'
According to what Thunderpig said, they have changed to 24k for valves. If your bike is not under warranty follow that. There are also symptoms you can watch out for, which would indicate a valve adjust is needed. One thing to note is, if you don't red line your bike (once in a while is ok, we all do it by mistake hitting those false neutrals) but some people ride these bikes, shifting when it's red lined. Anyway, if you don't do this, the valve adjust intervals are longer to my understanding. I forget what the symptoms are for needing valve adjust but a simple google search should do the trick.

If your bike is under warranty and the mechanics are adamant about doing the service, I'm afraid you'll have to do more digging on your end and provide proof of the changes so they honour your warranty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for this. The bike is under warranty, I paid for 4 years, I do red line it but not as any sort of regular thing and the mechanics who will service the bike are the ones who showed me the poster so they are the ones saying 12K is just a short service. There really should not be all this confusion should there!

·
Registered
480 Posts
No there shouldn't be. Ducati could have issued letters to Ducati owners (sort of like a recall notice). Certainly any authorized Ducati service facility should've been informed.
I've contacted the dealer I got my bike from, asking for an updated pdf maintenance schedule. We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
480 Posts
No luck here, this is what they sent me. I'm not under warranty and do most of my own maintenance. I just go in for valves and any front fork work. Anyway, looks like I have to figure out when I should do my next valve check. At 12,000 they were all within spec, which is expected.

I guess I'll have to search what symptoms to look for which would indicate a valve check/adjust is needed. Unless someone here already knows?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts