Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m in the middle of doing my valve adjustment, I was just wondering has anybody had to use smaller opening and closing shims on the exhaust valve , as opposed to larger ones. It was very tight in there, Almost no clearance at all .06mm in total come binding opening and closing
The manual shows between
.10mm >.15mm clearance for the opening and
.05mm on the closing which would give you a total gap of anything between
.15mm> .20mm
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I’m in the middle of doing my valve adjustment, I was just wondering has anybody had to use smaller opening and closing shims on the exhaust valve , as opposed to larger ones. It was very tight in there, Almost no clearance at all .06mm in total come binding opening and closing
The manual shows between
.10mm >.15mm clearance for the opening and
.05mm on the closing which would give you a total gap of anything between
.15mm> .20mm
Any thoughts?
I'm not sure what or why you are combining opening and closing measurements. They are two independent measurements and have no connection with each other.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what or why you are combining opening and closing measurements. They are two independent measurements and have no connection with each other.
Yes I understand that!
I was just pointing out how tight it was in there.
The valve was at the point of being bound up.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes I understand that!
You seem slightly agitated at me but at the end of your post you did say "any thoughts" What I didn't get and still don't is why you add up the two clearances.
Anyway I'm sure you'll figure it out without the likes of me butting in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I understand that!
Hi Stevie, did you get to the bottom of this? I'm just doing mine and I'm pretty sure I've got the pistons in the right places at the appropriate time (ie TDC prior to combustion stroke) and the opening valve clearances are much smaller than specified, more like 0.03mm! I haven't even got as far as trying to check the closing clearances...

BTW, I did see a video on checking Ducati 2V valve clearances generally, and it gave an alternative method for checking the closing clearance, suggesting that by depressing the closing rocker with a screwdriver, it's clearance moves to and is added to the opening clearance.... I'm not sure that makes sense to me, and I didn't bother thinking about it too much at the time as I was planning to measure them separately as per the Scrambler manual.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Stevie, did you get to the bottom of this? I'm just doing mine and I'm pretty sure I've got the pistons in the right places at the appropriate time (ie TDC prior to combustion stroke) and the opening valve clearances are much smaller than specified, more like 0.03mm! I haven't even got as far as trying to check the closing clearances...

BTW, I did see a video on checking Ducati 2V valve clearances generally, and it gave an alternative method for checking the closing clearance, suggesting that by depressing the closing rocker with a screwdriver, it's clearance moves to and is added to the opening clearance.... I'm not sure that makes sense to me, and I didn't bother thinking about it too much at the time as I was planning to measure them separately as per the Scrambler manual.
Absolutely check them the alternative way, much easier. Just make sure you’ve got both rockers with a little play(TDC) both valves closed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s usually the exhaust side that needs adjustment (heat) I think I checked mine a little too soon ( no adjustment needed)
I’m about to check again in 1k , I’m going to post a video on YouTube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts