Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do our bikes vibe more as the mileage clicks on, mine at 7500 miles vibes more at higher revs than when it had 3000 miles on the clock?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Dunno, I’m halfway at 5000 miles and haven’t noticed any changes yet. Still as smooth as a baby’s bum.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno, I’m halfway at 5000 miles and haven’t noticed any changes yet. Still as smooth as a baby’s bum.
If I'm giving it a bit, I end up with tingling finger syndrome, mines super smooth below 4000rpm but Defo has more vibes above, not ridiculous or harley level but just annoying ones.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In my experience if you're getting vibes that weren't there before, then it could be:
- to little engine oil
- chain too tight
Both easy to check and eliminate from your inquiries.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my experience if you're getting vibes that weren't there before, then it could be:
- to little engine oil
- chain too tight
Both easy to check and eliminate from your inquiries.
Oil bang on the full level and chain maybe 10mm too slack.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Tingly fingers are often caused by gloves not engine vibrations. If you put your gloves on and hold your hands in the same way as holding the bars (fingers curved) and the tips of your fingers are touching the inside ends of the glove fingers that is enough to cause tingling after a while. The tips of your fingers have very sensitive nerve endings on them and even light constant pressure can cause those nerve endings to react with the tingling sensation.
One of the reasons grip puppies or pussy grips or any of the similar products on the market work is because they increase the diameter of the grip which in turn increases the diameter of your clenched hand which then puts less curvature in the glove fingers and means they are often no longer touching the ends of the riders fingers.
For those with tingling fingers at least try grip puppies in the first instance. They are very inexpensive easy to fit and remove and may just solve the issue.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
And of course how tight your grip is. How tighter the grip, the bigger the odds your finger get tingly.

Still I wonder if that’s the case with the OP...

·
Registered
893 Posts
And of course how tight your grip is. How tighter the grip, the bigger the odds your finger get tingly.
Tight grips more often manifest themselves with forearm cramps.
Riders should definitely train themselves to have a relaxed grip on both bars though.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, I'll try the larger grips and see if that helps but I also feel the extra vibes through my feet and butt, again not bad but just more that before, I wonder if it's the engine loosening up or Ducati fecked up when doing the valve service or it's always been there but since my track day I think I'm Kevin Schwantz and ride alot faster!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too slack will not cause vibes.

Is it coming from the engine for sure? Maybe wheels need balancing?
70 mph pull the clutch in and the vibes immediately stop BUT the vibes are calming down a little bit since I've reverted back to v power 98 octane fuel instead of supermarket 95. I checked the compression and it's perfect on both cylinders. I think it could be abit of me as the wife was on the back for a 60 mile blast to hebden bridge and she never felt a thing??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Doesn't sound like wheels. Bigger grips & bar-end weights will help, but that's really masking a potential problem.

Pulling in the clutch (and I assume laying off the throttle) sounds like the engine is the source.

The gas is an interesting point. I always use 98, but on a trip through Canada last year had to use a lower octane and my bike definitely ran rougher and with lower mpg. From everything I've read on the science, what I experienced shouldn't happen, but I swear it did.

BTW - I grew up in Nottingham and went to Uni in Manchester. Totally jealous when you describe going to Hebden Bridge!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doesn't sound like wheels. Bigger grips & bar-end weights will help, but that's really masking a potential problem.

Pulling in the clutch (and I assume laying off the throttle) sounds like the engine is the source.

The gas is an interesting point. I always use 98, but on a trip through Canada last year had to use a lower octane and my bike definitely ran rougher and with lower mpg. From everything I've read on the science, what I experienced shouldn't happen, but I swear it did.

BTW - I grew up in Nottingham and went to Uni in Manchester. Totally jealous when you describe going to Hebden Bridge!
That's cool, Hebden bridge was a great ride out today, 28c and breakfast in the sun. Thinking back I'm sure my original scrambler did pretty much the same with supermarket fuel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a bit over 12,500km on mine now and it just keeps getting smoother. Well, relatively so ... it's still a lumpy old v-twin after all. The last (Desmo) service actually made it better, or seemed to at least.

That said, it can be hard to separate engine vibes from road buzz caused by the catastrophically-shitty roads we have around here.

If your vibes started after the last service, I'd be keeping a close eye (finger?) on it and contacting the dealer if it doesn't improve.

bm

1 - 20 of 51 Posts