Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2020 Ducati Scrambler Icon Black 800
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to bikes, and air cooled engines. I'm curious to know how long does the 800 need to run in 30°F-50°F temps before it's safe to park it again (for days/weeks at a time)?

Most of the time that I start the bike up, I'll head out for a 20-30 minute ride, if for nothing else, just to practice in a parking lot for 15 minutes. I'm guessing that's plenty of run time to get the bike hot enough to boil off any condensation.

But, I'm limited for space in my heated garage (~60°F), and if I need the space to work on dad's bike or for my snow blower when it drops down to snow, I'll have to relocate it to the shed in my yard. I don't want to start it, pull it into the yard then shut it right away to store in my shed. And, without a engine temp gauge, I don't know when it'll be up to temperature.
What's a safe run if I do have to start it to move it? Around the block a 2-3x (30-50mph)? Bundle up and run it at higher speeds for a couple minutes?

Thanks for the input

· Registered
21 Posts
Absolutely don’t worry about it. Modern engines have no issues with getting up to “operating temps” etc etc. these are old myths that haven’t died yet. Or better put, any motor built after 2000 (probably earlier) is a modern engine.

also if you have to move your bike from garage to yard sled. If it’s more than 20 yards and anything but flat. just turn it on and ride it for 10 secs and off is not going to hurt it. It’s not like your redlining it to your sled. Clutch out and the tiniest throttle and your done moving it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts