Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Although I traded my Scramble I still liked the people on here and am still checking out from time to time. Many cool people here.

I just had an experience I wanted to share. This past Monday after a 60 mile commute, I stopped home to do a local errand on my brand new XSR900. I was literally right around the corner from my house in a parking lot when a woman turned into me and totaled my bike and broke my sternum and knee cap which I'm having surgery to repair on Wednesday. (damn it's hard to type on oxycotin)
First, I had no chance to defend myself. I've ridden most of my life and this freaked me out as this woman turned across my path with no warning. I got my hand on the lever in a split second but was hit at the same moment, apparently I was invisible to her.
Second scary part.....insurance. Read your policies. I always assumed basic medical was the main reason for having insurance. I never even considered that it would not be a part of the policy and they never brought it up or advised me that I should add it. Fortunately I do have good health insurance. This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks that Geico has given me issues. I just wrote a new policy for my Tundra and wanted to include my RV trailer. The phone agent at Geico asked me what the GVW is on the camper and I told him 4900 lbs. He kept pushing me to electronically sign up the auto and said he'd do the camper after we got the auto set. After signing he then he swtiched me over to the RV dept. which immediately told me that Geico can't insure over 3000 lbs GVW in Massachusetts. He knew this and hid this fact from me in order to sign up the auto. Fraud. I would warn everyone against using Geico for any insurance. They don't review the facts or help you get the coverage you need. They write policies. Everyone check and be careful please.

Third, I've crashed motocross bikes a zillion times, broken bones, been knocked out cold twice with good helmets on and ended up in emergency rooms. Nothing prepares you for getting hit by an auto. Be careful and become even more defensive. I don't believe any level of skill would have saved a rider from this accident. It was like a planned sneak attack.

Lastly, my helmet didn't have a scratch on it except for a cracked shield. I'm begging all of you, please wear a full faced helmet. If I was helmetless in a similar accident and hit my head unprotected with this force, I would have been dead. I see all of the riders over the border in Rhode Island riding without helmets and it scares me for them. If any of you ride without a helmet, please heed my advise. I'm going to make a full recovery but right now, the pain is bad, bad, bad.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Get well soon Chester, that's bad news about the crash but good news that you will make a full recovery.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's sometimes difficult in the moment to appreciate - but you can reflect that it could have been worse.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

And the next question is will you be buying another XSR?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about this Chester, thank you for taking the time to come back and share with us. Take care of yourself and follow doc's orders, wishing you the best.

Sarah

·
Registered
284 Posts
Heal well. Wisdom from experience. One more thing about insurance. Check your max payout. In TN minimum liability is $15K. My uninsured/underinsured is 250K. You really do need 6 figure coverage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts