Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to hear other people's experience with their warranty issues. I've read various posts about slipping clutch claims being denied and other such problems. In a years time, I've had 2 big warranty claims. One was for a headlight lens that broke without being hit by anything and the 2nd was for a gas tank leak. Both times Ducati didn't warranty but did as goodwill and wouldn't pay the labor for replacing the tank. The total dollar amount was $2800. I find this very disturbing because they in fact did decline to warranty obvious failures and the implication is that they could have just as easily declined to replace as goodwill and also that I'm sure that my goodwill is used up. In fact I've been told that Ducati starts scrutinizing claims even more if there are too many and becomes more likely to decline future claims.

The Ducati dealer that I use is excellent. They are also a Yamaha, Kawasaki & Honda dealer. The service manager was very straight with me and told me that if these issues came up on a Japanese bike, they would have warrantied with no questions asked. He also told me that they just don't have the problems with these brands that they do with Ducati.

Yesterday I went and took a good hard look at a Yamaha XSR900 and got a price on it. Having dropped $592 on my 7500 mile service 2 weeks ago, I checked on the same service is for Yamaha - $200. I have loved my Scrambler for both performance, cool factor and history. I've always felt that Japanese bikes are pretty sterile but I'm at the point of reassessing. I've spent over $2500 on accessories, had to replace tires at 4000 miles, $700 in servicing, $73 paying the labor for "goodwill gas tank" and still have to spend $1500 to replace the bone jarring suspension. I guess I'm disappointed and getting kind of gun shy. I own a Toyota Tundra because they are amazingly reliable and my opinion of Japanese bikes is that they will give you pretty close to the same.

It's really a shame because as I've said, I love riding this bike but I am very disillusioned with Ducati as a company. My next service will roughly be the same price plus close to $500 for the timing belt. Crazy expensive parts and service plus waiting over a week for parts to arrive from Italy, less than stellar reliability and now I'm feeling like the warranty is at Ducati's whimsy. I'm nervous of anything breaking and having to rely on an amazingly hardworking service manager to get them warrantied. I'd really like to hear other people's experiences.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I ordered from Ducati Omaha, the belts were $71.67 each and a piece of cake to change, compared to the valve job. I hear you though, and if you've found a bike that interests you, go for it. No sense having that nagging worry in the back of your mind, life's too short for that. That Yamaha is a nice bike, did you have a look at the 700, too?

Sarah

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Screenshot_20180312-173131.png

On ebay now for £4999 brand new! Now that is cheap for a 5 out of 5 bike but only in green or silver and to be honest it's freaking ugly in stock form I think I'd prefer the mt07 or throw another £1k at it to make it look better but it is a top performer at a very tempting price Mmmmmmm
Edit, that's for a 35kw power model.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have we paid a premium for what is a basic bike because our Scramblers were pioneers?
Ducati is a premium brand, that's what you pay the extra for, whether a cool car, the area you live in, the clothes you wear on your back, yes you can get a t shirt from Primark for £4 but I want a deus ex machina that costs 10 times more and performs no better. I bought a death machines of London t shirt for £37.99 and genuinley it got a hole near the tag at the back in about 5 wears but it' still my favourite t shirt as it makes me feel good ( wife has sewn the hole) and that's what it's all about, that proud special feeling that not all bikes can give. When I sold my 1st scrambler the xsr 700 and 900 were top of the list but when I went to view them in the flesh and I found them ugly and untidy looking, so i crossed them off the list, they may perform well but for me don't look right in std form ( custom do look better) so the feeling would be different that's why I bought another scrambler even though I've had issues with both I was able to forgive its failings because of its ability to turn a crap day into a great day unless it blows up then it's off in the bin and I'm buying a Honda.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's all brand power and image as Armo says. As humans we seem suckers for it, myself included. The sweetest most reliable bike I ever had was a 400 Honda but I traded that for a Ducati 748 and despite being stranded at the side of the road a couple of times something about it captivated me.

That said the Scrambler's been nothing but rock solid. I think I may get over my snobbery now I'm older and wiser if I was having multiple issues and on top of that a company unwilling to honour warranty claims.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's all brand power and image as Armo says. As humans we seem suckers for it, myself included. The sweetest most reliable bike I ever had was a 400 Honda but I traded that for a Ducati 748 and despite being stranded at the side of the road a couple of times something about it captivated me.

That said the Scrambler's been nothing but rock solid. I think I may get over my snobbery now I'm older and wiser if I was having multiple issues and on top of that a company unwilling to honour warranty claims.
Me too but all my issues were sorted with no hassle and to be fair it was more the bought in items (brembo and termignoni) that failed not Ducati. 7000miles in and with the couple of issues sorted mine hasn' missed a beat and performs mega every ride ( touch wood it'll carry on).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ducati is a premium brand, that's what you pay the extra for, whether a cool car, the area you live in, the clothes you wear on your back, yes you can get a t shirt from Primark for £4 but I want a deus ex machina that costs 10 times more and performs no better. I bought a death machines of London t shirt for £37.99 and genuinley it got a hole near the tag at the back in about 5 wears but it' still my favourite t shirt as it makes me feel good ( wife has sewn the hole) and that's what it's all about, that proud special feeling that not all bikes can give. When I sold my 1st scrambler the xsr 700 and 900 were top of the list but when I went to view them in the flesh and I found them ugly and untidy looking, so i crossed them off the list, they may perform well but for me don't look right in std form ( custom do look better) so the feeling would be different that's why I bought another scrambler even though I've had issues with both I was able to forgive its failings because of its ability to turn a crap day into a great day unless it blows up then it's off in the bin and I'm buying a Honda.

I most agree with everything you say except for spending $53 (US) for a tee shirt. My perception of Ducati is also that it is a premium brand but they sure don't seem to warranty it like a premium brand. They just charge premium brand prices for parts and service. I sold Jaguars in the early 80's and did very well. At that time Jaguar was a gorgeous car but had a very poor record of reliability. The factory jumped through hoops to accommodate customers and that's what I expect from a premium brand. Not them telling us that every other problem is due to wear and tear. How the hell do you wear out a clutch in the first year. I'd like to go riding with that guy just to see him do it. I abused the living shit out of clutches on many motocross bikes and never wore one out. The XSR900 is ugly in a hairless dog kinda way.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm not complaining about my FTP, but I wonder if it was too expensive for what it is.
BTW it cost me £8k (new).
Bizarrely, I think that's a matter of personal opinion. It depends on how much value you place in a name. I've not had any recent experience with Japanese bikes but I'd like to bet you get a lot more for your money from a nuts and bolts perspective.

·
Registered
734 Posts
warranty? what's that...just joking.
IMO, do you buy something for the looks, reviews, performance or warranty?, or do you buy it to enjoy it or for the warranty?.
when decided to buy my Scrambler, I knew there's no Authorized Dealer/service, that didn't intimidate me in buying my Scrambler. Why?, I really wanted this bike, I did search and read a lot, but no matter what bought one. I work on my cars and will do it on the Scrambler. Start working on your bikes, there's a lot of info in the net and may forums like this one that really can help.
again, let's enjoy our bikes...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I do most of my work myself, but make sure I keep a friendly relationship with my dealer (so I still have warranty).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've always worked on bikes including this one. Maybe you want to shell out $2800 for parts that failed on a year old bike and install them yourself. Most people that shell out 10K for a motorcycle don't. They want the 2 year warranty to take care of the expense and problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts