Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it rained on me driving my new bike back last week. I was in it for a couple of hours and the next day I saw condensation in all four turn signals. I opened them up expecting to see dry or pinched 'O' rings but nope, no seals. Then I noticed a notch both top and bottom of the lenses WTF? So the great Ducati DESIGNED them to let water in? Then I took the seat off, not waterproof at all. Pools of water underneath and round all the connectors. This is a Desert Sled, a dual purpose bike and nobody thought about rain?

·
Registered
278 Posts
'15 Icon: I've through buckets of rain and no water in turn signals (well, I've never really looked closely). I've never looked under the seat after rain, but there isn't any sign of much moisture having been there. 34k miles. Looked inside the front turn signal: sure enough no seal or gasket.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have to say my original turn signals (I updated to the LED ones) always seem to have a few mm of water sloshing about in there if I got caught in a big downpour.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On my Sixty2, the seat is not waterproof (need ages to dry, wet pants guaranteed for a week or two), controls are not waterproof (ride under heavy rain = no passing light, no horn), the kill switch is not waterproof (had to change it once due to rust, suspect it's failing again) - screws inside the tank cover also get rusty, and I found A LOT of stale water in the sheath of the electric cable going to the tail light while installing an USB charger under the seat..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I took the seat off I found the multi-way connector full of water. It may be waterproof but the back of the connector is not. The loom is too stiff to lift out and wrap self amalgamating tape round it. The tools sit in a well....no drain fitted and of course it has a puddle in it. Just not been thought through.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure I can drill some holes. I can put a bin bag over the seat and duct tape round the indicators. When I installed carriers for saddle bags I found water on the plugs in the accessory m8 holes, so there is water inside the frame. I searched on here and there is a thread about corrossion inside the frame. What is all this about on a 10 grand bike? If I had bought a 3 grand Royal Enfield then maybe I should have expected this crap but a Ducati? Sorry, but really pissed at this.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Seems like you've got a bad egg.
Can the indicator lenses be flipped over or left and right ones switched.
Wonder if they have changed country of manufacture.
I'm afraid to go out on my FTP now in case it falls apart.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well......I don't think it is going to fall apart just yet. The problem with the indicator lenses is that there is no provision for any type of gasket. So the seal is formed by a recess on the lens fitting into the black plastic lens/bulb holder. BUT THE LENS RECESS HAS A MOLDED IN GAP TOP AND BOTTOM so it simply forms no seal, top and bottom. Of course I can just tape it up. Water under the seat is more difficult. Wiring loom too tight to access and tape up also more difficult. I worry about the switchgear, if Ducati ignored rain for simple things like indicators and seats what did they do about exposed switchgear? Water in the ignition or kill switch will certainly stop you going anywhere. My bike is a desert sled, it is meant to be an adventure bike for heaven's sake!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well......I don't think it is going to fall apart just yet. The problem with the indicator lenses is that there is no provision for any type of gasket. So the seal is formed by a recess on the lens fitting into the black plastic lens/bulb holder. BUT THE LENS RECESS HAS A MOLDED IN GAP TOP AND BOTTOM so it simply forms no seal, top and bottom. Of course I can just tape it up. Water under the seat is more difficult. Wiring loom too tight to access and tape up also more difficult. I worry about the switchgear, if Ducati ignored rain for simple things like indicators and seats what did they do about exposed switchgear? Water in the ignition or kill switch will certainly stop you going anywhere. My bike is a desert sled, it is meant to be an adventure bike for heaven's sake!
No doubt designed for rich Californians. They don't go out in the rain.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm on a 2015 Icon – I don't make a habit of it but I have been out and about in the rain quite a few times and hit a couple of massive downpours. I've had small fish in my indicator lenses, usually the rears funnily enough, but the bike's still running and performing well. Didn't notice any water getting in under the seat. Just offering a tiny bit of assurance, I get what you're saying though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. Well I have done a bit of sleuthing. Attached are two pics...the first is looking down on an Icon indicator and the second is my Desert Sled. The difference is the Sled has a moulded in gap in the lens, top and bottom so of course it is going to let the bloody rain in! The Icon has no moulded in lens ga that I can see. Sodding well daft, maybe the bottom gap is justified so a Ducati accountant decided to decrease stocking costs by making all 4 identical. God I am cross.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aye you're right. I'm just cross that this should happen and Ducati just ignore it since there seems to be no way to report issues to them. I am certainly not going through the grief of a warranty claim again. Tape I guess...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So still well pissed off with water getting in my indicators I bought a set of aftermarket lenses from Design Source. I asked about holes in the rebate top and bottom and they said 'Of course not'. I opened the packet this morning to find all the lenses with holes top and bottom in the rebate. Why? What prat could ever think this was a good idea?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here is the answer:

Very sorry to hear you received an item that was not as confirmed with our team. I have looked into this for you and I'm afraid the Manufacturers last 2 batches have changed to the ones that replicate OEM, We have just found out about this after specifically speaking with Whitelights.

Our apologies for this and we understand this is frustrating, of course, if you would like to return for full refund and shipping costs we would absolutely cover all.

At this moment no longer lenses are produced with an only bottom weep hole.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Me too. The point is if they do something daft like this with something simple then what about the complicated and way more potentially dangerous things? Have a merry Christmas mate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts