Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on a ride on my 2020 scrambler cr and about half way through the ride I noticed it was idling different and when I looked down there was smoking puffing out. Oil was burning! Upon acceleration the bike still felt as if it has the same power though. I went straight home and parked it and let it cool. When I came outside the oil drain tube has dripped a small puddle of oil underneath it. Now with the engine cool started it and it was slow to start. Almost like the starter was struggling or the battery was weak which was odd. The engine turned on and then idled low once again. a weak slow low idle. No oil was burning anymore though but it running pretty badly. I plan to take it in to have the oil changed today as I was going to anyway. I take it to a non ducati person for the oil changes as I don't like paying 450 for an oil change and I have a rexxer to clear the oil service light. There are 2300 total miles on the bike. Amy thoughts on what I should say before I call ducati to possibly have them do some warranty work?

PS no check engine light or service light is on either.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You have not mentioned checking the engine oil level. Many of the symptoms you experienced could be as a result of an engine with too much oil in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have not mentioned checking the engine oil level. Many of the symptoms you experienced could be as a result of an engine with too much oil in it.
Problem is I haven't changed oil it in 1500 miles and this just started. Levels looked low if anything. I just realized oil is dripping off the filter too. I think the filter may need to be re seated possibly? Either way going in for a change. Engine running like crap. Idling at normal speed at least. No oil light on yet either. Hoping I didn't do any damage although I quit riding the moment I noticed the smoke coming out of the pipe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is I haven't changed oil it in 1500 miles and this just started. Levels looked low if anything. I just realized oil is dripping off the filter too. I think the filter may need to be re seated possibly? Either way going in for a change. Engine running like crap. Idling at normal speed at least. No oil light on yet either. Hoping I didn't do any damage although I quit riding the moment I noticed the smoke coming out of the pipe.
I will add though the engine is running very weak even if at proper idle speed. also could be hearing a clunking noise. I think low oil and possible a loose filter. everything is literally covered in oil on the bottom

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Call Ducati, the bike is near new. As far as I know you even have mobility service in the US (that yellow credit card you got when you bought it).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any mods to the bike? I would open the airbox and see if it is full of oil. Was the smoke black, blue, or white? And, yes - what is the oil level?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply!

The smoke white. It subsided pretty quickly after I let the bike rest and the oil dripped out. I know I shoved too much oil in by riding too hard. The exhaust smoke was what worried be because I know oil levels were good. The bike ran like shit for a while but it's back to normal. My tuner said it was because it wasn't broken in yet and I rode the snot out of it.

It's currently in the shop getting a full service and when I get it back I'll open the airbox to inspect for oil and also install the MWR powerup side inlets.. then getting a remap and power wheelies galore

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

The smoke white. It subsided pretty quickly after I let the bike rest and the oil dripped out. I know I shoved too much oil in by riding too hard. The exhaust smoke was what worried be because I know oil levels were good. The bike ran like shit for a while but it's back to normal. My tuner said it was because it wasn't broken in yet and I rode the snot out of it.

It's currently in the shop getting a full service and when I get it back I'll open the airbox to inspect for oil and also install the MWR powerup side inlets.. then getting a remap and power wheelies galore
If the oil levels are good and you got smoke, that is not good. Running the bike too soft will do more harm than running it hard. In fact, if you didn't run the bike hard during breaking, then you might not have seated the rings and could burn oil (cause smoke). I run all my bikes hard from the start (after a mile or two soft at first). You have about 20 miles to break in the motor (run it hard).

Have a read: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the oil levels are good and you got smoke, that is not good. Running the bike too soft will do more harm than running it hard. In fact, if you didn't run the bike hard during breaking, then you might not have seated the rings and could burn oil (cause smoke). I run all my bikes hard from the start (after a mile or two soft at first). You have about 20 miles to break in the motor (run it hard).

Have a read: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

well damn that isn't good. will my warranty cover this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
well damn that isn't good. will my warranty cover this?
No mods on the bike, then you should be covered. However, it is hard to say without knowing what is wrong. If something happened because of incorrect maintenance that Ducati didn't do, then you probably wouldn't be covered. If this is just an engine issue (i.e., rings) and the correct oil/filters were used, then you should be good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No mods on the bike, then you should be covered. However, it is hard to say without knowing what is wrong. If something happened because of incorrect maintenance that Ducati didn't do, then you probably wouldn't be covered. If this is just an engine issue (i.e., rings) and the correct oil/filters were used, then you should be good.

Just noticed we have the same bike! So the smoke was momentary only while the oil was leaking through the airbox. And it subsided fairly quickly. I do have a rexxer tune but I can quickly reload the stock map. No other mods. Could there be any other cause for the momentary smoke?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just noticed we have the same bike! So the smoke was momentary only while the oil was leaking through the airbox. And it subsided fairly quickly. I do have a rexxer tune but I can quickly reload the stock map. No other mods. Could there be any other cause for the momentary smoke?
Smoke (probably blue or whitish-blue - hard to see the color sometimes) with oil in the airbox is almost always an oil overfill issue, but could also be a crankcase breather tube issue, or bad rings. Normally it is an overfill issue. I had smoke and oil dripping issues on my Ducati XDiavel (after a dealer overfilled the oil).

Do you have any mods like the airbox or exhaust on the bike? You said you had a Rexxer. Does that include a Rexxer map that you loaded? If so, what is the map for? Normally, the map is for mods you have done.

I have the 2020 CR with the MWR airbox mod and internal filter, Termignoni de-cat race exhaust with map (didn't use their map), and the Rexxer tuner with a custom map loaded (disabled SAI, charcoal can removed, open-loop (O2 sensors disabled), 10K rev limit for all gears, fuel cut on decel removed below 4500 RPMs).

PXL_20200910_161902011.jpg IMG_20200907_182414.jpg IMG_20200907_180721.jpg CRR3.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smoke (probably blue or whitish-blue - hard to see the color sometimes) with oil in the airbox is almost always an oil overfill issue, but could also be a crankcase breather tube issue, or bad rings. Normally it is an overfill issue. I had smoke and oil dripping issues on my Ducati XDiavel (after a dealer overfilled the oil).

Do you have any mods like the airbox or exhaust on the bike? You said you had a Rexxer. Does that include a Rexxer map that you loaded? If so, what is the map for? Normally, the map is for mods you have done.

I have the 2020 CR with the MWR airbox mod and internal filter, Termignoni de-cat race exhaust with map (didn't use their map), and the Rexxer tuner with a custom map loaded (disabled SAI, charcoal can removed, open-loop (O2 sensors disabled), 10K rev limit for all gears, fuel cut on decel removed below 4500 RPMs).

View attachment 45977 View attachment 45978 View attachment 45979 View attachment 45980

Wow! That's alot of mods. I actually just ordered the MWR power up kit yesterday. I got the rexxer tune from [email protected] when I removed the cat and put a shorty GP pipe on it (I know I'm cheap). It was running pretty lean asa straight pipe setup and I heard a tune could make a big difference. So I did and it made a massive difference with the rev range higher and power all the way through. So I'll be excited to see how the MWR powerup kit will add to the ride plus a remap. I can reflash my ecu to stock so the ducati dealer wouldn't know and the warranty should stay in tact. Just removing the cat shouldn't void it right? I could put that back on too.

What is your experience once you got the powerup kit, exhaust and remap? Pretty decent power gains? I heard there was a way to get power wheelies on a scrambler with the mwr adding so much airflow as long as you tune it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And yessir I loaded the map file myself sent to me by my tuner. I have the rexxer evo user so I can do it myself and clear service lights etc

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would put the stock map and stock pipe on (or at least the cat) before going to the dealer for possible engine warranty work. Some dealers will work with you if you heavily modded your bike, but I have found most will not since it costs them money/time to deal with drawn-out warranty claims. They normally will just say it is your fault and here is how much it will cost you.

The mods I did gave the bike a completely new feel. Tons more power all the way to 10K. The power-up kit really opens up the bike and the re-map dumps in the fuel to give way more power. I love the induction sound when starting the bike (and shutting it off). Everyone in the area (think gas stations) turns and looks when you start it up due to the crazy sucking sound when starting the bike with the power-up mod. FYI, I would not remove your airbox to cut the holes. Too much trouble (I just couldn't get mine out) and you can cut it with the box on the bike. I also dropped a tooth for the front sprocket to get more kick. Even then, this crazy bike will not lift up second gear with the clutch (not very much). First gear requires the clutch to get any good wheelie. The CR is not a wheelie bike, which kills me since wheelies are 75% of my fun. It probably doesn't help that I lowered my clipons 4" and lowered the front end (raised the forks) 2", but the bike handles and feels way better. Oh well, time to get a Monster 1200 or Streetfighter, I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would put the stock map and stock pipe on (or at least the cat) before going to the dealer for possible engine warranty work. Some dealers will work with you if you heavily modded your bike, but I have found most will not since it costs them money/time to deal with drawn-out warranty claims. They normally will just say it is your fault and here is how much it will cost you.

The mods I did gave the bike a completely new feel. Tons more power all the way to 10K. The power-up kit really opens up the bike and the re-map dumps in the fuel to give way more power. I love the induction sound when starting the bike (and shutting it off). Everyone in the area (think gas stations) turns and looks when you start it up due to the crazy sucking sound when starting the bike with the power-up mod. FYI, I would not remove your airbox to cut the holes. Too much trouble (I just couldn't get mine out) and you can cut it with the box on the bike. I also dropped a tooth for the front sprocket to get more kick. Even then, this crazy bike will not lift up second gear with the clutch (not very much). First gear requires the clutch to get any good wheelie. The CR is not a wheelie bike, which kills me since wheelies are 75% of my fun. It probably doesn't help that I lowered my clipons 4" and lowered the front end (raised the forks) 2", but the bike handles and feels way better. Oh well, time to get a Monster 1200 or Streetfighter, I guess.

Excellent to hear about the results of the MWR. I'm so excited now. And same I lowered the crap out of my clip ons but only did my forks down about 6mm. Need that aggressive riding stance to the get the most out of that power IMO. I'll let you know what I hear about the engine and then when I get the MWR installed. Thanks for the info on the airbox I'll just carefully use a dremel with the box in the bike. I wanna do suspension next. Looking at the nitron near shock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Excellent to hear about the results of the MWR. I'm so excited now. And same I lowered the crap out of my clip ons but only did my forks down about 6mm. Need that aggressive riding stance to the get the most out of that power IMO. I'll let you know what I hear about the engine and then when I get the MWR installed. Thanks for the info on the airbox I'll just carefully use a dremel with the box in the bike. I wanna do suspension next. Looking at the nitron near shock.

Can you let me know what you find out? I’m having the same/similar symptoms, had lots of oil in the air box with smoke and oil out the breather hose, but no smoke out of the exhaust. My compression on the top cylnder basically shows 0-25 psi. Local Ducati dealer denied me warranty service.

Here’s my thread if you’re interested in the details - btw I have a 2019 DS Sled with similar mods discussed in this thread - MWR PUK, Comp Werkes Slip-on, and a Rexxer Tune.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you let me know what you find out? I’m having the same/similar symptoms, had lots of oil in the air box with smoke and oil out the breather hose, but no smoke out of the exhaust. My compression on the top cylnder basically shows 0-25 psi. Local Ducati dealer denied me warranty service.

Here’s my thread if you’re interested in the details - btw I have a 2019 DS Sled with similar mods discussed in this thread - MWR PUK, Comp Werkes Slip-on, and a Rexxer Tune.

Yeah dude. Got it back. Engine is running bad still. Like it's dumping fuel in there like it doesn't understand the load on the eginine. Weak starts. Uneven idle. Power weak and strong. Weird back fires. There's def something happening with fuel delivery.

My tuner suggested is could be a MAP sensor and honestly my symptoms sounds identical to that issue.

I'm put the cat and stock exhaust back on and then reloaded the stock ecu map and it still runs bad.

Both cylinders are firing btw although badly.

I have everything back to stock and have made my warranty appointment with Ducati. I will update you on my findings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

got it back. cracked piston head caused engine failure. Here's the repair list.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts