Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the years I have been watching Moto Geo this is about the most negative review of any motorcycle I have seen him give. I was wondering if he has had a falling out with Ducati seeing as he was so thick with them a couple of years ago but he keeps saying how good his Icon is so it can't be Ducati per se that is the issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
He said that the bike is good but not like the 800 cc versions. That's what a lot of people say.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
So what he's saying is: this is not a real "scrambler" anymore, but more of a street bike. Makes sense.

That said, many Scramblers are only ridden in the street, so what does it matter?

·
Registered
733 Posts
For me the 1100 could do all my 800 did - and do it at a slightly more relaxed note... more torque..

Still has same suspension travel - but now with Standard suspension that works as well as the modified one on the 800.

It is a little heavier - but is also more comfortable - its a little bigger..

Its not a hyper speed bike as its a naked - I guess 120 MPH - but more than 85 / 90 for long and you need a neck like Mike Tyson in his hey day...

On road A / B it does everything the 800 did... for me (but its personal) it looks better (like twin pipes)... never took either off road - but being lighter the 800 is probably better... but neither are really off road bikes.... too heavy... metal tanks... too expensive.... same with the Sled.. obviously more capable than the 800 / 1100 but still too heavy for serious off road use.... but for 90% people its fine on fire roads.... you want to go serious off road... buy a Dual Sport - half money - 2/3 weight... Honda 250 - or same money new Honda 450... on KTM...

That's why you can never have too many bikes...

·
Registered
29 Posts
And that’s the whole point - I don’t want to do serious off road, rebuild the top of the engine every 15-20 hrs, I want to be comfortable for the 80% road riding, but I do want it to be off road capable, not to heavy, I don’t want it to look like a street triple, I want it light, agile and the sleds got great stock suspension. If I wanted a fast naked I would have keep my s1000r.....,your right though no one bike does everything.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The review was rather negative but from his point of view I do get it. If I wasn't as big as I am I probably would have lived happely for a long long time on the 800 because it is very good even though it has rather crude suspension and a harsh seat.
Also who rides off road? Where I live there isn't much off road anyway or it isn't allowed for motorbikes.
Sure the 800 Scrambler is probably easier to ride off road if you know what you doing but at the same time I think you would totally wreck the suspension and frame if you ride like Jamie all the time. That's why they made the Desert Sled and that probably is the best one out of the range if you really have off road ambitions. Still all of them are way to expensive if something goes wrong so you are probably better of buying a proper off road machine.
As a road bike the 1100 Scrambler is fantastic and in my eyes easely the best from the range esspecially if you are over 6 feet tall. Also it's very very comfy and still a lot of fun to ride allthough the 800 had a bit more character with it's love it or hate it snatchy and sharp throttle.
The 1100 is also pretty expensive though but the finish and parts are really nice and I feel on a higher level then the competition(R nine T, T120 etc.)
To conclude people are complaining a bit to much and to long about the "is it a real Scrambler" aspect when this is clearly just a marketing and image thing that is working rather well. If this makes me as an owner a poser doesn't bother me at all because I'm having way to much fun since these bikes came along after not riding for almost 4 years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Certainly not a lot of love out there for the 1100. Which is okay, if it goes the way of the Sport Classic, I'll be even more ecstatic to have one in my stable! In all reality, the 1100 is more in line with the 'street scrambler' concept, similar to the market Triumph was going after with their bike by the same name. I have zero interest in off road prowess, so that wasn't a big selling point at least for me. I am building mine in a mild cafe style, and will jettison the dual purpose tires for more aggressive rubber when its time so I can take full advantage of those Ohlins.

The funny thing is, in person, this bike gets nothing but compliments, questions, nods, thumbs up and stares. Pictures and web articles simply don't do it justice. Absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The funny thing is, in person, this bike gets nothing but compliments, questions, nods, thumbs up and stares. Pictures and web articles simply don't do it justice. Absolutely no regrets.
That is why there are so many different bikes on the market we all have different opinions of what we like visually. In the case of the Scrambler 1100 when I saw one in the flesh at a dealership it did nothing for me. I even declined the dealers offer to sit on it. That doesn't mean it is a bad bike or that my thoughts are in any way the norm it is just that I looked at the bike and nothing registered. The 800 Scrambler on the other hand has a completely different effect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think it's all a matter of taste and preference. I think Jamie's just not feeling the bigger bike, because Ducati pretty much hit it out of the park with the original Scrambler. It's also competing with better specc'd bikes in the same range like the Monster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 1100 is a Monster in disguise, and not a good one. It is not in the spirit of the original 800 Scramblers.
Neither is the Sled but it is a great bike in its own right.
You forgot to add 'in your opinion' In my opinion the Sled is the closest to the spirit......."opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one but they think each other's stink" lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I like the 1100, looks great and 95% of the 800’s will only be ridden on the road so I recon who cares if it won’t perform in the dirt. Would I buy one, no as I recon the 800 is the perfect bike for me and the mrs and I like small bikes even though I’m 5 inch taller than Phil.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I like the 1100, looks great and 95% of the 800’s will only be ridden on the road so I recon who cares if it won’t perform in the dirt. Would I buy one, no as I recon the 800 is the perfect bike for me and the mrs and I like small bikes even though I’m 5 inch taller than Phil.
Not if I get my old platforms out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think the Monster 1200 is a far superior bike in every way. 147hp, cornering ABS, riding modes, traction control, etc etc.
Unless you think the styling is better on the larger Scrambler? I'm not really sure why it even exists... it's not like the 800 is lacking anything in particular.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It exists because they can sell it and make money...

Its a more relaxed ride than the Monster (seating position), lower seat height...

Slower - bit less tech...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts