Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Scrambler in a class of it's own now? What else is in the same category as the Scrambler?

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
The Scrambler reminds me a lot of the Triumph "Retro" line. Triumph uses the same basic bike for 4 different iterations of the Bonneville. They have the Mag wheeled version, the Bonnie with spokes, and the T100 with spokes and two toned paint (and some other things I think), and then they have their café bike, the Thruxton. All have the same motor and frame, just the suspension and bars are slightly different on the Thrux.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There's a ton of competition for this share of market ,,the triumphs already mentioned,,the suzi v-strom , bmw's adventure bikes ktm has a couple out now honda is tooling up to get away from the land barges,aprilia has a couple ,,kawi has one or two,,,ducati has their work cut out for them,,,i think it will be a winner ,,,i love them and have had several ,,but ducati's aren't for everyone,,,some people are afraid of the the service costs,,,and also the parts and service availability,,,i live in westlake village ca and we just got a duc shop not even a year ago,,before that it was a major schlep to get anyone to even look at one,,,ducati made 44000 and change bikes last year,,,,honda made seventeen million,,,,so obviously they are a small manufacturer and support is a big part of how people buy,,,,

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's very hard to compete at the motogp level,,, honda has very deep pockets,,, hard to beat them,,, any of the big four really,,, they have such vast resources,, Ducati is well funded now so we will see big things coming from them shortly,, they are developing a 4 cylinder so there will be some raised eyebrows soon

·
Registered
72 Posts
FWIW, I don't consider the previously mentioned bikes as direct competitors to the Scrambler. I think that it has a combination of elements that make it unique as far as I am concerned and why I immediately put down a deposit on one.

The Triumphs are recreations of old bikes and the Duc Scrambler is not. The Scrambler has a lot of modern elements that the Triumphs do not.

The BMW, KTM, Honda, etc. adventure/dual sport bikes have longer suspension travel and much taller saddle height. (With my disproportionally short legs, saddle height is important.) The Scrambler is more of a "fun" off-road bike, than a serious off-road bike.

The bikes that I think are the closest are the Aprilia Shiver 750 and the BMW R Nine T. The BMW is much more expensive (and more powerful). Aprilia dealers are even rarer than Ducati dealers.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Yamaha still make an SR 400. I saw one in a local dealer in Inverness and a lot of the new Chinese bikes are of the same ilk. Very retro but not in the same league as the Ducati.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey NickJ , as odd as this is I think I saw you over on the Indian scout forums? What are the odds, I'm currently trying to decide between a full throttle and a scout. I was dead set on the scrambler, and then I saw the scout at the motorcycle show in Toronto (having never even heard of the re vamp) and fell in instant love. I know I know, totally different bikes, but both have my heart. I think I'd go scout If not for a fear of having issues getting service done if parts blow out (one dealer in all of Ontario).

Damn tough choices

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Ha! I am certain that you did! I am over there as well. I have gotten to spend quite some time on the Scout and went so far as to purchase one (only to pile it up into a driver that made a poor decision. Hopefully it will be back in order by the time I am back in order).

That is a tough choice. The Scout is a very easy bike to ride and I like the look and the power of the scooter. I like mostly that it is not a HD. I was in the same boat as you because I saw the Scrambler and thought it was pretty much perfect for what I wanted it for. An around town commuter. Still might end up with both of them in the garage, but we will see. I want to ride one first.

As for the dealership worry, I wouldn't worry too hard. They are building dealerships like mad right now, and you have to remember that they are not even 2 years old. Service should be easy to do yourself or have done at any Victory shop (both are owned by Polaris). If you really get in a bind for a part, I am sure that they would be more than willing to ship to any Polaris or Victory dealer that you might need them to. But I don't think that you can go wrong with either. Right now availability might be your driver. I know that the Scout has been having some delivery lags and some bikes have had paint issues.

Just so you know, I am going to move these posts (after a few minutes) into another thread as this is off topic for this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No worries on moving the posts, should have probably just pm'd you. Sorry to hear about the crash I hope your all good and back at it asap!

I guess I'll go back to staring at pics of both to decide, from what I've heard I might be screwed from acquiring either at this late in the game

Thanks for the insight !

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
No worries on moving the posts, should have probably just pm'd you. Sorry to hear about the crash I hope your all good and back at it asap!

I guess I'll go back to staring at pics of both to decide, from what I've heard I might be screwed from acquiring either at this late in the game

Thanks for the insight !
Okay, I have this in a more on topic thread.

I have written several stories on the Scout, and I think that I have covered most aspects, so if you need any questions, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Nick. I sat down and thought about it, and although Im still going to test ride both (sounds like August at the rate they're being delivered haha) I'm leaning scrambler again. Coming from a sport standard and loving full sport bikes, I love a bike that is light an agile, bend it over into a turn and its smiling back. The part I don't like is the broken kneck at the end of the day. Scrambler has the full package for me, one day it's gonna be the scout, but not just yet.

Doesn't hurt that the out the door price is a solid 3500-4000 less too :)

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
The riding position is a lot different from the Bonneville that I came from right before the Scout and I miss that more aggressive body position, but it is a different style of riding for sure. You sit down low and when you really turn on the power, you have to push your feet down on to the foot pegs unlike having the wind push your feet on to them.

The Scout is surprisingly agile and light on it's feet. It is a little more deliberate in it's movements than it is like a fly, but I can live with that. It is a tough choice for sure. You are buying in to great pedigree no matter which you go with.

Who are we kidding here? I am sure that you will end up using that 4K up in no time, so your investment will be the same. :) Also, I am sure that the pricing of both bikes will go up in their successive year models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha the 4K will be gone within one week. "I like the bike stock I won't spend a dollar on aftermarket parts" - A lying fool

I agree that the msrp of both is going up next year (especially in Canada given our dollars worth being equal to that of Monopoly money). Im hoping initial orders are the only orders that are selling out, and that a flood of bikes will come in around mid summer. Am I ignorant to hope dealers order too many and get stuck with extra that they blow out come end of summer? Don't answer that, I think I know the answer :(:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts